Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:50:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Compulsory patriotism

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 18, 2021, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Banlon

Thomson, Whitehouse, Williams, Day and Higson regret Fast Show reunion

Kankurette

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 04:09:05 PM
There were a lot of people that bought into it; I don't think it is easy to place all of these as conscious centrists or proto-fascists; the main bulk of them were middle class kids looking for an identity in my experience.  It was supposed to be edgy wasn't it but it was basically a load rich white men with guitars singing angsty love songs (god I had some arguments with people then about this).  The same people protested the Iraq War.

btw hindsight can get in the bin the trick is to have foresight and be reasonable with it.
. Still all terribly white to my ears but I think people can like these bands and enjoy the music etc....even Damon Himmler AutoBahn I don't think this was proto-fascism it, as per usual, imo it's just standard cultural laziness on the part of the public and bread and circuses for the people like Blair that used them.

Not seen the thread but might give it a visit ta : )
I know they're white. I was talking about music, not race. And I was 12 at the time so a lot of the political stuff passed me by.

TrenterPercenter

Kankurette

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on April 22, 2021, 06:01:55 PM
I like what I like.

Yes that is fine.  If you read what I wrote again you'll see I actually said this.

I went to a Mansun concert once.

Kankurette

Trenter, I'm on heavy painkillers and woke up from sleeping off a headache, I'm sorry if I'm not totally on the spot right now, OK?

Video Game Fan 2000

I remember ASDA decking out their entire produce section with union jacks after the BSE scandal and (possibly) after the foot and mouth outbreak? I might be misremembering that last one but there was def a big BUY BRITISH thing that seemed still riding on Euro 96 anti-Europe jingoism. Lots of brands went flag crazy at the turn of the millenium and it bled into the 'retro culture' pc backlash and 70s worship - 'member Life On Mars?

At university union jacks were still everywhere. Sometimes ironic britpop union jacks sometimes carling and garden bench wwaaaahyyy union jacks, but union jacks everywhere. In Wales.

My weirdest memory is still when I lived in a flat in Cardiff, in a shithole in an otherwise nice area where lots of leftie students lived, the neighbours downstairs celebrated the fourth of fucking July. Old Glory hung up everywhere, fireworks, BBQ, blasted action movies from afternoon to after midnight. Blaring (Blairing) patriotic American dad rock songs. Bizarre. Something I've never seen otherwise. This was still post-Iraq invasion so I wonder if it was something the tabloids were pushing? Local tescos had a display of american food for the 4th July but it was just buddweiser and shit oreo biscuits.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on April 22, 2021, 06:06:24 PM
Trenter, I'm on heavy painkillers and woke up from sleeping off a headache, I'm sorry if I'm not totally on the spot right now, OK?

Absolutely; no probs :)

Zetetic

Spoiler alert
Yarl's Wood Immigration Removal Centre, 2012
[close]

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 22, 2021, 06:07:04 PM
My weirdest memory is still when I lived in a flat in Cardiff, in a shithole in an otherwise nice area where lots of leftie students lived, the neighbours downstairs celebrated the fourth of fucking July. Old Glory hung up everywhere, fireworks, BBQ, blasted action movies from afternoon to after midnight. Blaring (Blairing) patriotic American dad rock songs. Bizarre. Something I've never seen otherwise. This was still post-Iraq invasion so I wonder if it was something the tabloids were pushing? Local tescos had a display of american food for the 4th July but it was just buddweiser and shit oreo biscuits.

Perhaps they've got family that emigrated?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 06:10:49 PM
Perhaps they've got family that emigrated?

I only spoke to them a couple of times, they were a couple with no kids. Neither were American. They used to have friends over all the time but I never heard an American accent.

The other neighbours were a nice african family and a polish couple who didn' t speak English so I wonder how they felt about the American flag flying in the yard for three days.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Zetetic on April 22, 2021, 06:10:25 PM
Yarl's Wood Immigration Removal Centre, 2012

Ah wondered if it was Damon Albarns bunker and strategy room for a minute then.

Video Game Fan 2000

I think a lot of my opinions on contemporary UK nationalism can be traced back to first hearing the phrase "years of hurt" in "Three Lions" as a young teenager and a klaxon going off in my brain WROOOONG : its not right that they're saying that about a sports competition while waving flags, that is not an appropriate grievance for an adult to have and that was not a good way to phrase it

FredNurke

'Thirty years of butthurt' didn't scan. (Although amazingly the word was actually in use then, albeit only in the US)

Video Game Fan 2000

Can't be homophobic when we're comparing losing a match to the blitz, can we? Christ. What kind of pricks would do that.

Video Game Fan 2000

Still get kind of depressed remember seeing other kids get pressured by their dads into saying/acting the right way about sports. Be playing Nintendo over their houses or be driven to the leisure center and they'd be called to look at the sports for a quick manhood lesson. Say it right: caaaaahme aaahn my son. No, say it right: caaaahhm aaahn my saaahn. No, you shout it: karrrhme aaahnnn maaa saaaaaaarnnn.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 04:27:03 PM
Enjoy; I remember the good old days of taunting TFM and yer Milvertons; don't think I have forgotten mon frere.

Don't put yourself in that malodorous group. The taunting was a good response to the crap they spouted, non? precis und pint.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on April 22, 2021, 06:10:25 PM

Spoiler alert
Damon Albarn's cuntbunker, 2012
[close]

After they've finished eating, they pull the tables to one side and have a Damon Albarn dance.

Buelligan

Has anyone mentioned what a proto-fascist cunt Albarn is yet?

Johnny Yesno

I don't think so. I think you should mention it.

olliebean

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 21, 2021, 10:07:09 PM
https://inews.co.uk/culture/union-flags-38-per-cent-britons-think-flown-all-uk-schools-poll-964008/amp

Bit of a striking word omission from the subheading of that story:

QuoteThe survey comes as guidance released from the Department of Culture Media and Sport says Union flags will fly on all UK buildings from the summer

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Back to Tom Hunt for a minute:

Quote from: Jingoistic JackholeIf any pupils and teachers have concerns about [flying the flag outside schools] then surely they can be "educated" about what the flag actually represents.

I don't think you want that, Tom. You want a nice myth about how it represents the nations of the United Kingdom (except Wales, because it's not a real country[nb]this isn't what I really think. I'm doing a sarcasm[/nb]) united as one, and nothing else. You don't want pupils learning about the Act of Union, or the rebellion in Ireland that preceded it, or why there was a rebellion, because that would mean acknowledging all the fucking colonialism you did, and that might interrupt the epic flag-shagging party you're throwing yourself.

Midas

YOU WILL BE "EDUCATED"

Kankurette

Quote from: Buelligan on April 22, 2021, 08:19:57 PM
Has anyone mentioned what a proto-fascist cunt Albarn is yet?
Alex James is an even bigger cunt. Cheese-eating Tory prick.

idunnosomename

fuck my patriothole

ed is this a fucking cut-out of the queen

Video Game Fan 2000

Gurke and Hare

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 23, 2021, 12:48:44 AM
ed is this a fucking cut-out of the queen

Is no cut out, is real queen, beamed in via Telescreen.

That or Damon Albarn in a wig.

Sebastian Cobb

St Georges day today innit. Spare a thought for our stretched police force having to go around arresting people and throwing them in jail for saying they're English.

Fambo Number Mive

Just passed a house with four England flags on it.