Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Compulsory patriotism

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 18, 2021, 09:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Ferris

Quote from: frajer on April 20, 2021, 01:16:29 PM
Lads you need to pull out your cock before you piss.

Do you think it's more patriotic to do a minutes silence with a full pint? Or with glass "half mast"? Definitely not an empty one.

Would the shade of prince Phil mind if you were drinking it (silently) during the minute? Or maybe you neck it in a minute?

There's lots of questions out there and we demand answers.

Norton Canes

Kraftwerk have let themselves go

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 18, 2021, 11:24:38 PM
Some kind of Man United change strip/third strip - one of the range of ever-changing multi-coloured numbers designed to extract cash from the gullible loyal fan base.

Chevrolet is one of the UK's many successful indigenous car manufacturers, forming part of our vibrant manufacturing industry. Their cars are ubiquitous here - there's a slight chance to you might find one that's been exported to the US but there's a low likelihood of that, I think it's safe to say.

Fuck my hat, sounded like a french to me

Zetetic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 18, 2021, 09:37:42 PM
Does anyone else feel that there's something weird going on?
I think it will make a lot more sense in the light of events over the next couple of decades, which is a bit of witless truism but there were are.

I note that a Member of the Westminster Administration has just resigned their ministerial post to make a public statement in support of British Troops being able to murder without consequence on the outskirts of the empire, so long as it was in the name of territorial integrity.

holyzombiejesus

https://inews.co.uk/culture/union-flags-38-per-cent-britons-think-flown-all-uk-schools-poll-964008/amp

QuoteUnion flags: nearly 40 per cent of British public think they should be flown at all UK schools, poll finds

The survey comes as guidance released from the Department of Culture Media and Sport says Union flags will fly on all UK buildings from the summer

Fambo Number Mive

That tweet is terrifying. Imagine the local gammons reporting schools not flying the Union Jack. I presume schools will be made to erect their own flagpole and buy their own Union Jack as well.

Putting "educated" in quote marks it seem sinister.

Ironic how the Tories claim to want more "choice " for pupils, parents and teachers with their free schools, unless it involves the choice of whether or not to fly a flag outside their school.

No doubt Tory MPs will start demanding every hospital flies a flag. Five years in, every building in the UK will need to fly a flag.

jobotic

Far-right headbanger cunt. The modern Tory.

QuoteIn January 2020 Hunt wrote in an article for the local East Anglian Daily Times newspaper on crime and anti-social behaviour in Ipswich stating "It is impossible to start thinking about remedies to these issues without also being ready to confront the possibility that a disproportionate number of crimes are committed by individuals from certain communities. This is something we should be open and honest about. Brushing it under the carpet will not get us closer to solving the issue."[21] The Ipswich and Suffolk Council for Racial Equality called his comments "at best disappointing and at worst an ill-judged piece of dogwhistling."[22] Conservative Police and Crime Commissioner, Tim Passmore, referred to them as "very unhelpful".[23]

During November 2020 he joined the COVID Recovery Group[24] and abstained in the vote for a second lockdown.[25]

Following an interim report on the connections between colonialism and properties now in the care of the National Trust, including links with historic slavery, Hunt was among the signatories of a letter to The Telegraph from the "Common Sense Group" of Conservative Parliamentarians. The letter accused the National Trust of being "coloured by cultural Marxist dogma, colloquially known as the 'woke agenda'".[26] He has also said that Historic England are "waging a war against our heritage", and considers their approach to explaining slavery at their sites as "Maoist and dystopian".[27]

imitationleather

Keir is going to have to come out and announce that all Britons must wear flag badges at all times now.

Fambo Number Mive

He'll appear at PMQs in a Union Jack dress.

Zetetic

Mainstream British magazines now publishing pieces calling for explicit end to the UK regarding itself a "voluntary union" held together by "consent".

"Opposition" MPs now endorsing ministerial resignations over protecting British troops from murder prosecutions, specifically for acts committed in the UK.

Paul Calf

It's nothing like fascism though, because there are no Hugo Boss uniforms. Just relax! Britain is a liberal democracy with a welfare state and a strong NHS and that can never change. All countries that fell to fascism were foreign, so that shows you.

Jockice

As someone with a Scottish accent in England I'm often assumed to be anti-English. I'm not. I've lived here almost all my life. And during the independence referendum build-up I got asked on almost a daily basis about my opinions on it, often by people wanting to start an argument. It's nothing to do with me. And no I can't vote in it. I haven't lived there since 1973

At a barbecue I met a friend's father who asked me within seconds asked me about it. I gave a neutral response and he said: "You're obviously not a political animal." That's one with a degree, an MA and a partially-completed PhD in politics. But who is just very bored of being asked the same question over and over again.

BlodwynPig

Burn the flag. Burn it! Burn it! Fuck this FASCISM.

Attila

I'm seeing more and more Union Jacks and George Cross England flags flying off flagpoles around the little estates where I walk (the demographic here skews pretty elderly, and this is a Tory stronghold. I'm not going to name our MP, but they are someone pretty horrible who is a crony of the PM, contributing their incompetence to the cabinet).

It's only been in the past few weeks that I've seen them sprout up like spring dandelions, and of course they've been at half-mast the  past week or so for the DoE.

BlodwynPig

Tear them down and replace with the flag of hedgehogs - the true patriots of Britain

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 22, 2021, 08:26:52 AM
Tear them down and replace with the flag of hedgehogs - the true patriots of Britain

"Put your flag up, cunt"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Zetetic on April 21, 2021, 11:06:48 PM
"Opposition" MPs now endorsing ministerial resignations over protecting British troops from murder prosecutions, specifically for acts committed in the UK.

Not that I think there is a chance of Starmer being anything other than a Blairite authoritarian, but in respect of Healey's tweet I think it was more classic centrist kneejerking, gotcha type stuff. Like recent instances where Labour have opportunistically attacked the Tories from the economic right. Embarrassing, head in hands stuff.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 22, 2021, 07:31:54 AM
It's nothing like fascism though, because there are no Hugo Boss uniforms. Just relax! Britain is a liberal democracy with a welfare state and a strong NHS and that can never change. All countries that fell to fascism were foreign, so that shows you.

It's good to keep your wits about you but there problem with all fascism with a capital F stuff is that; well the same people have been saying the same thing for the last 10 years; Cameron was going to be the one that walked us into fascism with the handy 10 signs of a facist government meme that went around at the time.

What I don't understand is if we are on some slow escalator to fascism; then two of the big contributors to these regimes arising were a poorly educated, alienated and oppressed population and a radical left and centre left fighting that decided to fight each other (the radical left in the case of Germany actually saw the fascists as useful to deconstructing the state).  There are no attempts (on CaB but also on left twitter and left spaces in general) to understand why all these Brits might be the way that they are; there is just no interest when these people can be ridiculed for personal entertainment (and this is different and isn't always necessary in the pursuit of protecting minorities and vulnerable people); it's a mindset just as much as thinking anyone who doesn't shag a flag is a cravat wearing guardian reader. Leftism seems to being made the preserve of the privileged something it learnt not to do and be mindful of when it was more successful.

I see that picture btw of the old boys looking sadly into their warm Carlings, stood outside a manky looking pub in some dull respect to some dead aristocrat and feel sympathy.  People are unhappy; generally in life; they want hope and purpose as shoulders pointed out, both however are ultimately just distractions.  It's doesn't scare me at all; these people want to pay respects fine I won't and they won't tell me to either; I could talk to them though and explain why I didn't think that way rather than feel scared by their bad life choices. But then I grew up seeing these things and don't feel alienated from my working class roots.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jockice on April 22, 2021, 07:55:46 AM
As someone with a Scottish accent in England I'm often assumed to be anti-English. I'm not. I've lived here almost all my life. And during the independence referendum build-up I got asked on almost a daily basis about my opinions on it, often by people wanting to start an argument. It's nothing to do with me. And no I can't vote in it. I haven't lived there since 1973

At a barbecue I met a friend's father who asked me within seconds asked me about it. I gave a neutral response and he said: "You're obviously not a political animal." That's one with a degree, an MA and a partially-completed PhD in politics. But who is just very bored of being asked the same question over and over again.
That's incredibly weird. Them, not you. FFS, my dad was Scottish and both he and my auntie moved to England and married English people, does that make them secretly not Scottish or something?
Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 22, 2021, 11:04:55 AM
It's good to keep your wits about you but there problem with all fascism with a capital F stuff is that; well the same people have been saying the same thing for the last 10 years; Cameron was going to be the one that walked us into fascism with the handy 10 signs of a facist government meme that went around at the time.

What I don't understand is if we are on some slow escalator to fascism; then two of the big contributors to these regimes arising were a poorly educated, alienated and oppressed population and a radical left and centre left fighting that decided to fight each other (the radical left in the case of Germany actually saw the fascists as useful to deconstructing the state).  There are no attempts (on CaB but also on left twitter and left spaces in general) to understand why all these Brits might be the way that they are; there is just no interest when these people can be ridiculed for personal entertainment (and this is different and isn't always necessary in the pursuit of protecting minorities and vulnerable people); it's a mindset just as much as thinking anyone who doesn't shag a flag is a cravat wearing guardian reader. Leftism seems to being made the preserve of the privileged something it learnt not to do and be mindful of when it was more successful.

I see that picture btw of the old boys looking sadly into their warm Carlings, stood outside a manky looking pub in some dull respect to some dead aristocrat and feel sympathy.  People are unhappy; generally in life; they want hope and purpose as shoulders pointed out, both however are ultimately just distractions.  It's doesn't scare me at all; these people want to pay respects fine I won't and they won't tell me to either; I could talk to them though and explain why I didn't think that way rather than feel scared by their bad life choices. But then I grew up seeing these things and don't feel alienated from my working class roots.
You must move in different leftist circles to me because I see an awful lot of 'we should understand white working-class people and understand why they voted Brexit and are super patriotic and stop sneering at them' from other people on the left.

I've had run ins with the far right. I have a very good reason to be wary around hardcore patriots. Even if I did try to talk to them, they'd just laugh at me or ignore me. That's what's happened before.

El Unicornio, mang

Not a fan of patriotism, although also not a fan of civic pride. "I'm proud to be a Geordie". What does that even mean?

imitationleather

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 22, 2021, 11:23:30 AM
Not a fan of patriotism, although also not a fan of civic pride. "I'm proud to be a Geordie". What does that even mean?

I'm from Bow in east London but because I'm quite well-spoken people always assume I'm one of the rich hipsters who moved to that area after university and priced the actual cockneys out. Even when I explain this definitely isn't the case I can tell people aren't convinced.

For this reason I find it hard to identify with being a cockney at all.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on April 22, 2021, 11:05:48 AM
You must move in different leftist circles to me because I see an awful lot of 'we should understand white working-class people and understand why they voted Brexit and are super patriotic and stop sneering at them' from other people on the left.

Nope I know lots of working class leftwingers that get this irl (most people do); I'm talking about online.  Also why would people be saying stop sneering at them if no-one is actually sneering at them (or it appearing to be that they are sneering at them).

It comes back to what I've been saying for sometime; any rightwinger with a brain could work out that pretending to be a lefty going massively over the top; sneering at people; calling people names etc... making ridiculous demands and seeing offence everywhere makes an unappealing movement.  Actual leftwingers need to make sure they are distinguishing themselves from these unhelpful behaviours.

Paul Calf

Quote from: imitationleather on April 22, 2021, 11:26:15 AM
I'm from Bow in east London but because I'm quite well-spoken people always assume I'm one of the rich hipsters who moved to that area after university and priced the actual cockneys out. Even when I explain this definitely isn't the case I can tell people aren't convinced.

Were you born hugger mugger to the sound of the bladdy Bow Bells?

TrenterPercenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYUd4mNaBM

Paul Calf

El Unicornio, mang

Same with me, having lived further south for several years, and in America for over 10 years I've lost pretty much every trace of a Newcastle accent, although I never had a really strong one to start with despite my parents having been from one of the most working class parts of town. So, I support Newcastle just because I was brought up here and my Dad/family in general were lifelong fans, and if I meet people abroad from here it's kind of nice (Orlando is the no.1 tourist destination for people from Newcastle so it wasn't uncommon), but that's about where feelings of "being a Geordie" end.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 22, 2021, 08:38:31 AM
but in respect of Healey's tweet I think it was more classic centrist kneejerking, gotcha type stuff.
I don't think Healey's motivation really matters.