Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is the point of the island of Great Britain

Started by canadagoose, April 19, 2021, 02:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 20, 2021, 08:28:02 AM
Loads. The Carpathians are amazing and the countryside and history, especially in the west of the country is astounding.  But Bucharest has a massive problem with feral stray dogs.

but you've never been? been reading jingo's digest again?

As for calling places like Slovakia shitholes, fuck off..."great inns"

Stick to your Marbella package holidays and whining about the quality of roast dinners on the costa del sol.

Paul Calf

What did I say about Slovakia?

Put the cap back on the bottle, Blods.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 20, 2021, 08:24:28 AM
Romania really is a shithole, as is the majority of Slovakia..I'd rather live in a hybrid city of Hull/Luton than ever visit such places again. Uk is a miserable place, but not as miserable as those places.

Thursday

Quote from: bgmnts on April 20, 2021, 08:26:17 AM
Bit racist as fuck this no? Are there no decent places in Romania?

I've been to Brasov, that was nice. Also been to Campina for a day that wasn't as nice although basically fine. I was a teenager at the time though and I'd be fascinated to explore the vibe of it more if I went there now.

Buelligan

The stuff about Romania is bollocks.  As I said, I know, well, lots of Romanians.  They love their country and it's very beautiful, their biggest problem is poverty, poverty is always cruel and exists everywhere where greedy people exist.  It knows no borders.

Quote from: Mister Six on April 20, 2021, 04:56:23 AM
He said that the person in question would develop hates about any country they move to for a sufficiently long period of time, nothing about how much hatred is present in any particular country.

Understand now, sorry, didn't understand the words that weren't written but just notional.  Makes sense now.  Although I haven't developed any hates for France, which is worrying.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It probably should be worrying to not hate a single thing about France, when almost instantly I can recall things that happen there every day you are on record not only for disliking but barracking others for doing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 20, 2021, 08:12:19 AM
It's interesting to see how even people who haven't swallowed the nationalist kool-aid see Britain's position as a top-table favoured nation with basic social cares and a vaguely social democratic government as a permanent, unchanging axiom of international politics. Even as aristocrats plunder the NHS and what remains of the Welfare State, we cling to this idea. Even as Britain's credit rating is devalued again and again, and Britain slips further down the list of wealthiest nations, even as senior elected officials speak unabashed eugenics, openly experiment on the population and kill about a quarter of a million people, this image of a wealthy Britain where no-one will be allowed to starve or die of preventable illnesses persists.

Is it because we need to believe that Britain cannot radically change for the worse?

What is so difficult to understand about relativity, comparing the country to that of another? You're wasting your own time writing this when it isn't what anyone is contesting.

Buelligan

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 20, 2021, 09:07:46 AM
It probably should be worrying to not hate a single thing about France, when almost instantly I can recall things that happen there every day you are on record not only for disliking but barracking others for doing.

Don't be silly, hate is a strong emotion.  I'm talking about my feelings towards my adopted home, sincerely.  They are positive, I love this place.  It's not perfect, no country is but I'd choose it, in a heartbeat, over Britain and have.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 20, 2021, 09:10:00 AM
What is so difficult to understand about relativity, comparing the country to that of another? You're wasting your own time writing this when it isn't what anyone is contesting.

I'm not saying that there is no comparison to be made. I'm saying that you are making comparisons based on a Britain that doesn't exist anymore, and that is becoming less relevant every day.

The Dog

Don't really understand this, if the island wasn't here you wouldn't be in France or Slovakia you'd be in the sea. The sea is VERY right-wing it is full of sharks and octopuses and sea monsters. YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE YOUR OWN OXYGEN. You know that little venue you love to go to to see all those cool indie bands, yeah? IT DOESN'T FLOAT. Too much politics on the forum now and not enough geology.

Buelligan

In fairness, geology is not buoyant either.  It's like a stone.

It seems to be becoming increasingly obvious, the point of the island of Great Britain, obviously not the original point but it's a useful hack, is, the point is, a neat place to keep all the English ones, where they can be happy, being English together.

Paul Calf

That's pretty much the only point of any nation.

Buelligan

Yeah.  And that's the test, isn't it?  Does it serve its purpose?  Yes.  Yes, it does.  It's a great island for doing that.  No one can ever take that away.  Except, possibly, a nuclear superpower.

Bit of a bummer for the Scots and Welsh, but there you are, there are always losers in our modern world.

TrenterPercenter

The main contention here wasn't about geography, climate and history it was about social issues that were making the UK shithole.  France has enacted all kinds of recent rightwing social controls and yet people seem quite happy to ignore them; burqa ban and the new charter pressuring Muslims to adopt "French values"; it has also only recently got it's shit together around disabilities and mental health; it's got a shitload of colonial disgraces; a fuckload of poverty still and a wonderful habit of dismantling migrant camps.

Romania has big problems with LGBT communities; it the third highest for violence against LGBT people in Europe after Croatia and Bulgaria; it's a quite conservative country with a nationalist tendencies and are quite well known for racism against the Romani community.

I also worked with a Slovakian lady who loved home and wanted to move back; largely because Jaguar Landrover were making a factory near where she lived and being relatively cheap to buy land prior was going to be a great investment.  She also recognised it massive problems with poverty, alcoholism and obviously massive issues of governmental corruption and growing rightwing populist parties (are people forgetting the murder of the journalist Jan Kuciak and her finance only a 2 years ago!).

Buelligan

Have you lived in France Trenter?

I have.  I have lived in France and in Britain and arrived in both as a stranger.

bgmnts

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2021, 09:53:44 AM
Yes.

Well assuming that you do; what makes your experience of France more valuable than those of other people that live there?  It doesn't matter about me does it; your views experiences are one of many people I know that live in France and to be honest most of them are not going to start some silly diversion technique about whether someone lives in France or not to get out of discussing the very public issues Frances has been having with people of the Muslim faith and migrant camps.

Buelligan

It's not a diversion, simply saying that living in France, having lived in Britain, being interested in politics, history, social and ecological issues, I feel that I'm in a reasonably good position to judge France and Britain. 

It seems pretty pointless to me to have a reiteration of all the bad things to see whose pile is highest, how high is too high?  As I said earlier, no country is perfect, that's obvious.

Britain is Great! It's right there in the title: GREAT BRITAIN, like when the tiger eats his cornflakes, they're brrrrrrilliant he says.
The United Britain, the Nation, all of Us, in knitwear together, having a naughty giggle at the periodicals in the war museum.

I mean, symbols don't even matter, history is boring and frankly, this is the most pathetic world exctinction event ever. If anything, I think icebergs are actually getting bigger, and there are far too many orang utans in the world, they're like mice. oh paddy mcguinness please stop you're killing me

Masks off, heavy breathing, puff out your guts. Stand up straight.

Great British Britain it's a spatchcock spark-out patchwork quilt of bare minimum bakeries and battery acid field events stitched together with the spunk and guts of our gallant lads who died in the divots so Ed Sheeran could ink-gun his pillowy body with any kind of tattoo he likes

BRI'AIN!!! GREAT!!! march march march

A fiefdom of bare-cankle boxing, head nubbin, hair pulling, eye gouging, bargain hunting shame pirates who have dry-docked their vessels of plunder and put gift shops inside them where you can walk around and think about the pit of bones and deaths underneath the foundations of the very first Dorothy Perkins (UNESCO world heritage traitor).

The untidy klangdoom is a dry-stroke market of confused tribal guttering and waddling, a hive of sarcastic orgasms, where the little people get crushed into chum and the high end white power rangers lord over the jam and the mire vaping raw and uncut on thousand yard widescreen burnout tvs broadcasting across the wastelands of drudgery.

A packed Scarborough of puffy flesh. A sudoku of spanner crime statistics. A brown-out on beast tranquilisers. A mullet of fear that builds up over the course of a day assembling tat in a munitions closet. Gyles Brandreth, confused and hungry in a terrycloth bath robe wandering through a shattered town centre asking passersby if they'll 'bother his knob'.
A neglected pork shoulder in a shit delicatessen shrugging with the combined force of the parliament of maggots within. Activated almonds in your oat milk. Crackling popping micropenis bombers carving up the dust hour. Superior nettles. Soapy cliffs of tits.

Britain is a disobedient dead arm hanging off the body of mainland Europe. Pocked with fox holes and pigeon pox. A round of eggy pints. A cheeky boke in the cloak room at worship time. Vomit and Argos. The 2022 Screwface Portfolio.

It's about keeping a list of what your neighbour orders off Amazon on a government mandated wall chart. It's about griefing Vince Cable on Yik Yak. It's about smacking your kids as they troop out of the cellar each morning, those fillet-faced miniature shroud deposits. It's about Hamuary, Jebruary, Farch and Vape-ril. It's about just giving in and deathlessly muttering you're so money supermarket just before they turn your lard support off.

Britain is GREAT. A never-setting sherry trifle, a broken bitmap of shelled monasteries sponsored by Cadburys and half-eaten sausage bunkers, a real ale salute, the hardest man in the curry house, jackboot shawarma, a nationwide fondue melt, the pitiless patriotic spotlights that sweep the cliffs for unsanctioned swan dives (those are the Queen's birds you're talking about you unpatriotic filth), the twitterfeed troughs overflowing with the swill of it all. In this together. In this together. IN. THIS. TOGETHER.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2021, 10:07:19 AM
It's not a diversion, simply saying that living in France, having lived in Britain, being interested in politics, history, social and ecological issues, I feel that I'm in a reasonably good position to judge France and Britain.

Yes; anecdotally from your experience; it's fine; you are not the ombudsman on France (or Romania) and from what I gather are a white women occupying a cave in a sparsely populated village whose most pressing social issue is an abundance of stray cats.  Other people who I know that live in France and have come from and still have family in Romania may have different experiences and opinions.

To extend these individual perspectives I was speaking to the often communicated issues that we know about the countries in question; which seems particularly important considering that it was the rightwing shithousery of the Britain that was getting people down.  Maybe for some people easy access to a decent petit chablis is worth a bit of state sanctioned islamophobia; maybe the lasting sense of the family and gothic church architecture is preferable to LGBT violence; I don't know that is for people to make their minds up on; but whether or not these issues and real life events have occurred in a country isn't defined by the fact you lived in the both Britain and France.

QuoteIt seems pretty pointless to me to have a reiteration of all the bad things to see whose pile is highest, how high is too high?  As I said earlier, no country is perfect, that's obvious.

Well quite; isn't that what me and Shoulders have been saying; you can "get away" if you like; if that is your thing; we have got a  healthy bunch of ex pats that do this; they just seem to be emigrating on the basis of nicer weather and cheaper booze rather than social issues.

dozybugcarrot

From what I know of the rest of the world, GB, compared to most countries, has a lot of comfort, stability and safety. However, there is still too much suffering for some caused or allowed by the government, too much bigotry and hatred caused by the media. And these things are increasing, all the while the rich are getting richer and the media protects and panders to them. I'm pretty grateful for how good my life is here (having lived in more stressful places) but I'm worried about where we'll end up in the next ten years.

Not sure what the point of GB is though. Maybe if Brexit causes our economy to crash it can serve as some kind of warning.

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 20, 2021, 01:40:48 PM
Yes; anecdotally from your experience; it's fine; you are not the ombudsman on France (or Romania) and from what I gather are a white women occupying a cave in a sparsely populated village whose most pressing social issue is an abundance of stray cats.  Other people who I know that live in France and have come from and still have family in Romania may have different experiences and opinions.

To extend these individual perspectives I was speaking to the often communicated issues that we know about the countries in question; which seems particularly important considering that it was the rightwing shithousery of the Britain that was getting people down.  Maybe for some people easy access to a decent petit chablis is worth a bit of state sanctioned islamophobia; maybe the lasting sense of the family and gothic church architecture is preferable to LGBT violence; I don't know that is for people to make their minds up on; but whether or not these issues and real life events have occurred in a country isn't defined by the fact you lived in the both Britain and France.

Well quite; isn't that what me and Shoulders have been saying; you can "get away" if you like; if that is your thing; we have got a  healthy bunch of ex pats that do this; they just seem to be emigrating on the basis of nicer weather and cheaper booze rather than social issues.

You don't listen to them though, do you.  You just tell them.  I don't drink btw.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2021, 02:45:27 PM
You don't listen to them though, do you.  You just tell them.  I don't drink btw.

Of course I listen to them, what a silly thing to say considering my whole point was about what they have said; I'm not the one discounting anyone else's experience am I.

It's good that you don't drink though; I'd imagine you would be a quite a miserable drunk.

Buelligan

You clearly don't listen.  Because you characterised me as someone interested in cheap booze, when I've spoken many many times about not drinking and you didn't realise I live in France, when, let's face it, I never stop talking about the fucking place.  That's just in this thread. 

My point being, if you don't listen to other people, it's probably better not to speak for them.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2021, 02:54:56 PM
You clearly don't listen.  Because you characterised me as someone interested in cheap booze, when I've spoken many many times about not drinking and you didn't realise I live in France, when, let's face it, I never stop talking about the fucking place.  That's just in this thread. 

My point being, if you don't listen to other people, it's probably better not to speak for them.

I didn't say you; once again your narcissism makes you think everything is about you; you are not the only ex pat ever right? I was talking about ones living on the costa del sol etc...I was taking the piss about you not living France; everyone EVERYONE knows you live in a cave (you might noticed I remembered that bit) in France.

So what were you saying about not listening again?

Buelligan

Sorry, I'm not listening to you any more.