Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

European 'Super' League

Started by Chedney Honks, April 19, 2021, 05:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I expect this will have its own subforum soon enough to catalogue the shameless cuntery of these husk clubs but to keep it separate from the regular football thread, here you go.

Main questions for me are, ignoring the ghouls who run these clubs, who would want to watch this or even play in it?

I understand that there are hundreds of millions of people who follow the wealthiest European franchises in China and India but presumably all domestic fans would be appalled and turn off. Anyone who doesn't would be ostracised by friends and family, forced underground and eventually die of starvation and the plague trying to live off rats.

And which players would even want to be involved in this? Their houses would be burned down after home invasion robbery every week on ESL nights. They would end up living in a campervan.

Best bit of all this is they've fucking done it, and it can never ever be forgotten.

Mr Farenheit

The format seems weird- groups of 10 with home and away fixtures, then quarter finals. At the moment I think if a big team gets to the final of the Champions League they play 13 games, now they would have to play 23!

Its normal for managers to complain about UEFA and their home league because of fixture congestion (as well as conspiracies about how teams have been drawn or sinister reasons for refereeing decisions). Now they have loads more games and they would end up complaining about... the European Super League, which is going to be run by their employers.

I like the way that 15 founding clubs seem to be safe from relegation. Given loads of them are already in huge debt and owned by despots and crooks it would be great to see a club implode and still stay in the league finishing last every season, like a version of East Stirling.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out, not sure if they have much power or not. I suppose FIFA, domestic leagues could back down but as UEFA would presumably be losinh their biggest money spinner they surely have no incentive whatsover to play along.

Spode

I think they've wildly misjudged the foreign supporter base that they seem to see as the most likely to buy into this.

From experience, they buy into the whole package and pride themselves on being able to reel off, word for word, every last bit of history from the clubs they've chosen to support and immersing themselves in their traditional rivalries, however artificially.  Also, much like the people in the uk who've latched onto US sports, part of the appeal is that it's a completely different experience to what they're used to at home.

Im not saying they'll be distraught at the possibility of not waking up at 2am on a Saturday morning to watch United v Norwich, but I think they're mistaken if they'll expect them all to forget about the premier league and go all in for this.

finnquark

Can see a 3 hour Meades doc in this. The ghosts of a decaying continent, forced to rumble around BRIC stadia in a league financed by Wall Street and the CCP. Traditions ostensibly ripped up, but ultimately persisting.

monkfromhavana

Sad for the fans of the breakaway teams, but otherwise quite happy about this news. If Sean Dyche complains I'll gladly tell him that we don't care if Burnley go to the wall, none of our business[nb]Obviously I do, but I just want to see his face[/nb].

A lot of people seem to think that if Manchester United etc leave the whole football pyramid will just give up and no-one will play, watch or even think about football again.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on April 19, 2021, 06:39:05 AM
The format seems weird- groups of 10 with home and away fixtures, then quarter finals. At the moment I think if a big team gets to the final of the Champions League they play 13 games, now they would have to play 23!

Its normal for managers to complain about UEFA and their home league because of fixture congestion (as well as conspiracies about how teams have been drawn or sinister reasons for refereeing decisions). Now they have loads more games and they would end up complaining about... the European Super League, which is going to be run by their employers.

I like the way that 15 founding clubs seem to be safe from relegation. Given loads of them are already in huge debt and owned by despots and crooks it would be great to see a club implode and still stay in the league finishing last every season, like a version of East Stirling.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out, not sure if they have much power or not. I suppose FIFA, domestic leagues could back down but as UEFA would presumably be losinh their biggest money spinner they surely have no incentive whatsover to play along.

Aren't you confusing the UEFA new champions league and the Dr. Evil's Supper Super League?

bgmnts

Surely the players and managers don't even want this? I know Klopp went on record a while ago saying he hoped it didn't happen.

But hey if billionaires need to make that extra few million quid it hasn't ever stopped them before so fuck it.

jobotic

Man City and Chelsea fans to get right on board and tell the detractors they are boring and jealous.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://twitter.com/DamianCollins/status/1383841580293836801?s=20

Tories pro redistribution of wealth, pro-accountability and pro-democracy and pro levelling the playing field.

Perhaps it's the chlorine in my eyes from this morning's swim. Can anyone else check I'm reading this correctly?

amateur

European Super League sounds great. Kick the six of them out, no relegation this season and three still come up. I'm all for it. Fuck 'em.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 19, 2021, 08:02:45 AM
Aren't you confusing the UEFA new champions league and the Dr. Evil's Supper Super League?

No, this is right. The format's been announced: https://thesuperleague.com/

Prediction: the Super League won't happen but the Premier League and Uefa's compromise will be to make the PL and Champions League closed shops with guaranteed places for these cunts/no relegation, and for them to be able to negotiate their own TV deals.

A quick look on some football forums and some of the chat has already gone from condemnation to "Uefa are corrupt anyway so we may as well join this."

Kidding ourselves if we think there won't be full stadiums for this.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 19, 2021, 08:14:18 AM
https://twitter.com/DamianCollins/status/1383841580293836801?s=20

Tories pro redistribution of wealth, pro-accountability and pro-democracy and pro levelling the playing field.

Perhaps it's the chlorine in my eyes from this morning's swim. Can anyone else check I'm reading this correctly?

A middle ground will be found. Oil barons will give 20% of the profit to MPs to keep their mouths shut.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 19, 2021, 08:16:35 AM
No, this is right. The format's been announced: https://thesuperleague.com/

Prediction: the Super League won't happen but the Premier League and Uefa's compromise will be to make the PL and Champions League closed shops with guaranteed places for these cunts/no relegation, and for them to be able to negotiate their own TV deals.

A quick look on some football forums and some of the chat has already gone from condemnation to "Uefa are corrupt anyway so we may as well join this."

Was confused by groups of 10 (there are only 8 clubs) - the groups of 10 is the champions league.

Plus, this is the worst of all worlds as we don't get rid of these clubs. They have their cake, eat it and shit in our portion.

bgmnts

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 19, 2021, 08:16:35 AM

Definitely.

Even if local fans boycott, these are global clubs so will have millions of Asians and Africans and Europeans queuing up. Like scabs taking jobs undermining workers on strike.

Rich cunts always win.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Re: opening the post, yes, it is all about clubs with a global profile chasing the huge audience of football fans that don't give a toss about the English league pyramid and, sad to say, some do just want to watch Juventus, Bayern Munich and Barcelona playing on a loop.

England's audience is maxed out, the new revenue streams are in developing nations. These clubs have basically announced to their core fanbase that they don't give a shit whether they continue to follow them or not.

If I were a fan of those teams I wouldn't watch another game involving them. If any UK based Manchester United or Liverpool fan still supports the club after this then they must love being shat on, coprophiliacs. Lie under the glass table and sniff the faeces piling up.

amateur

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 19, 2021, 08:16:35 AMPrediction: the Super League won't happen but the Premier League and Uefa's compromise will be to make the PL and Champions League closed shops with guaranteed places for these cunts/no relegation, and for them to be able to negotiate their own TV deals.

What's UEFA's incentive to make these compromises? Loss of revenue from a supposably weaker product?

Norton Canes

Who cares? Bored of these fucks anyway. Let them go.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 19, 2021, 08:24:38 AM

But they are not going, they are just shitting up the midweek schedule with extra laser shows for Arab teenagers to make Tik Tok videos about.

pigamus

If there's an attempt to bar the players from playing in other competitions, could the clubs and the players then sue?

amateur

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 19, 2021, 08:24:38 AM

I completely agree. Just wondering on what grounds they could be forced into compromise, because I don't see any that make sense to me

Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Leeds in the Champion's League next season, based on current positions, if this shower all do one. I think a lot of people would enjoy that.

BlodwynPig

Sulaimon's wisdom is worth a thousand armchair CaB posts on the topic.

Sulaimon Adelekan: The European Super League is a fantastic idea for the teams involved and for the likes of Spurs and Arsenal its getting into an elite European competition through the backdoor. Sincerely, its totally disgusting for the club football.

BlodwynPig

This is telling and truly disgusting

QuoteSpeaking on BBC Radio Four, former Football Association and Manchester City chairman David Bernstein added: "I think there are two things in play here: one is greed and the other is desperation.

"And it's because some of these clubs have incurred enormous debt. I believe certainly Barcelona and Real Madrid, and I think at least one of the English clubs, are approaching £1bn of debt.

"I think they're in a desperate situation. One of the things they haven't done during the pandemic is to impose some sort of wages control. They've got themselves into a bit of a predicament."

surely a club approach 1bn debt would incur sanctions, points deductions etc?

peanutbutter

AC Milan being one of the founding teams sounds like a great foundation, when did they last qualify for the Champions League, 2013?

I've long stopped caring about the Champions League due to it being always the same few teams in the final stages, and that was only going to get worse with the restructuring. I think from a viewer perspective I'd be pretty happy with this thing forcing me to no longer give a shite about the top league too.

greenman

I'm guessing the names that have come out are the clubs who feel "safe", multiple teams from the Prem, La Liga and Seria A who feel they aren't at risk of being kicked out of their leagues due to the damage it would do? the likes of PSG and Bayern as one offs I suspect more likely the rest of the league might be willing to say fuck you.

checkoutgirl

Pardon my ignorance but what does "ESL nights" mean?

buttgammon

Man City v Chelsea stamping on a human face forever.

Quote from: greenman on April 19, 2021, 08:47:31 AM
I'm guessing the names that have come out are the clubs who feel "safe", multiple teams from the Prem, La Liga and Seria A who feel they aren't at risk of being kicked out of their leagues due to the damage it would do? the likes of PSG and Bayern as one offs I suspect more likely the rest of the league might be willing to say fuck you.

I think this is revealing; it's also damning to the whole idea that these two sides are currently much better than most of the teams that have committed to this.

jobotic

If the fans of the clubs don't like it but still want to keep paying £50 a match they could show their displeasure by wearing green and yellow Premier League scarves.

DrGreggles

All the supporters trusts for the Premier League clubs have denounced this.

The Culture Bunker

I do wonder if the 15 clubs involved are hoping this escalates to the point UEFA/domestic leagues chuck them out. The proposed format as is does look like it'll get boring very fast - so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with the 15 "inviting" 25 other teams to set up a format of:

- two leagues of 20
- top four from each go into play offs at end of season, leading to mega "Superbowl" type event.

With no domestic cups or other tournaments, it'd also allow them scope to take fixtures on tour. Perhaps in the future, to "keep things fair" they bring in American-style draft system.

None of this appeals to me one bit, by the way, can just see it being the long-term plan. All the hacks whining today will eventually get in line to praise it, because they'll be told if they don't, there's someone else who will.