Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

European 'Super' League

Started by Chedney Honks, April 19, 2021, 05:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 19, 2021, 04:22:13 PM

As a fan of the Blue Jays and Aston Villa, both teams were pretty rotten for much of the last decade but the Jays intentionally tanked and will now be very good for 3 or 4 years.

2 hits yesterday in a 2-0 loss to the Royals...when are these 'good years' starting ?

sevendaughters

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 19, 2021, 04:43:42 PM
2 hits yesterday in a 2-0 loss to the Royals...when are these 'good years' starting ?

they've got a really fun team right now tbf, entertaining if not the best

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 19, 2021, 04:43:42 PM

Previous 4 games - taking 2 from 3 against the Yankees and beating the angels 15-1.

Jays will win the pennant this year #preddo

DrGreggles

FWIW, I love the NFL draft and can't wait for it to start next week*.
Unfortunately, without a 'closed shop' system, it can't happen in football.

Unless...

Let's say the ESL does happen, then players from clubs outside it could declare for the draft and then are selected by the teams in worst-to-first order.
So, Arsenal start then...

*been doing 1st round simulators online

mikeyg27

A draft system wouldn't work in this Super League (or indeed in football at all as currently organized) because the clubs control player development. In US Sports the youth system is a separate thing and there are entire junior leagues and collegiate sport to develop players in a separate pool to take from, whereas in football clubs are signing talented 8-year olds and hoping they make it through their own youth system. Why would the clubs put the effort into developing a player if they are just going to be taken away from them at a later date?

DrGreggles

Kankurette

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 19, 2021, 02:34:25 PM
Speak for yourself, I'm fucking delighted.

Absolutely mask-off, unavoidably obvious greed front and centre. Best case scenario - those six clubs piss off and never darken the doorstep of the domestic league ever again and can play spiritless zero-stakes friendlies in empty stadiums for the boys in Guangzhou. They can take their money with them and their players will be left as husks.

Meanwhile the rest of the premier league resets and becomes more equitable and fun. Couldn't ask for more, I might even start watching it again.
Every cloud.

What team do you support, just out of interest?

chveik

maybe they're talking about pyramids a lot because it's a ponzi scheme

Spode

Any pictures of the Change Football lads sat round a table in Nando's pretending they've seen chicken and chips on the same plate before yet?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 19, 2021, 04:53:34 PM
Previous 4 games - taking 2 from 3 against the Yankees and beating the angels 15-1.

Jays will win the pennant this year #preddo

I'm picking the wrong games to watch then!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kankurette on April 19, 2021, 05:43:48 PM
Every cloud.

He supports Forge FC

Chollis

Gulftastic

If they are copying American sports to make more money, why not go down the baseball route and play 150 games a season?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wishful, perhaps fantastical thinking but it would be amazing if Liverpool (the city) got together and annihilated Liverpool FC over this, eg. if Pool fans joined Everton en masse temporarily until they found a way to reform the club and join the league structure again. As a show of solidarity that would be mind-blowing.

Or something lame like a sit in that ends up with some cops and fans being beaten to death and the press set on the fans again and the government pile on and public opinion is set against them and it ruins the whole thing.

Spode

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 19, 2021, 06:49:15 PM
Wishful, perhaps fantastical thinking but it would be amazing if Liverpool (the city) got together and annihilated Liverpool FC over this, eg. if Pool fans joined Everton en masse temporarily until they found a way to reform the club and join the league structure again. As a show of solidarity that would be mind-blowing.

Or something lame like a sit in that ends up with some cops and fans being beaten to death and the press set on the fans again and the government pile on and public opinion is set against them and it ruins the whole thing.

Company L? But they smell.

Ferris

Quote from: Kankurette on April 19, 2021, 05:43:48 PM
Every cloud.

Villa and/or Halifax Wanderers.

And my beloved Blue Jays, of course (though I retain a soft spot for the Expos).

Alberon

One of the live feeds today posted an email claiming that clubs could only use town and city names by permission of the local council. While it would be very amusing to see Liverpool strip Liverpool of the Liverpool name it seems very unlikely to be true.

bgmnts

Quote from: Alberon on April 19, 2021, 07:03:30 PM
One of the live feeds today posted an email claiming that clubs could only use town and city names by permission of the local council. While it would be very amusing to see Liverpool strip Liverpool of the Liverpool name it seems very unlikely to be true.

Merseyside Red.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 19, 2021, 06:49:15 PM

There is already a AFC Liverpool.

As far as I can see, they play at the same level as the phoenix clubs for both Blackpool and Bury. And a team I once played against (we lost 4-1 in a cup semifinal).

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's cool as well. In fact it's very cool, I like the badge.

For visibility though it would be good to see maybe the last city in the country capable of mustering a real show of solidarity to make a statement likely to go global.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: A Hat Like That on April 19, 2021, 07:07:02 PM
There is already a AFC Liverpool.

As far as I can see, they play at the same level as the phoenix clubs for both Blackpool and Bury. And a team I once played against (we lost 4-1 in a cup semifinal).

ersatz99

pigamus

Don't know much about football but it sounds like when they want to demolish a listed building or something and they basically just challenge the council to stop them. Like, we're doing it, we've got lots of lawyers, how many do you have. And they're banking on it being irreversible once it starts.

Wonderful Butternut

Rumours that the Italian clubs are about to drop it, so that'll probably kill it. Once one goes, they'll all go.

finnquark

The hypocrisy of Neville, Carragher, Rio et al is so familiar that it's not worth commenting on, but the feigned shock and horror of the general coverage is just weird. Have these people been living under a rock for the last x number of years?

DrGreggles

Quote from: finnquark on April 19, 2021, 07:42:02 PM
The hypocrisy of Neville, Carragher, Rio et al is so familiar that it's not worth commenting on, but the feigned shock and horror of the general coverage is just weird. Have these people been living under a rock for the last x number of years?

Sky certainly haven't/won't acknowledge where this all started.
OK, this is different, but the reason it's happening is the same.

Spode

Quote from: finnquark on April 19, 2021, 07:42:02 PM

I actually believe there's a sincerity to what Neville is saying, and that maybe the scales have fallen from his eyes now that he's not involved at united, but there's a failure by him and all at SKY to acknowledge that years of calling these clubs 'the big 4' the top 6' and branding everything around them has led to the sort of delusions of grandeur that convinces them they can bail on their domestic league at the drop of a hat.

He did acknowledge before he's probably been complicit in not attacking the Glazers and maybe this well lead to them all taking a step back when discussing 'the big boys' and 'the product' in future.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 19, 2021, 07:46:27 PM
Sky certainly haven't/won't acknowledge where this all started.
OK, this is different, but the reason it's happening is the same.

The bigger question is if it does go ahead (and let's hope it doesn't), how quick will Sky be in to bid infinity money for the broadcast rights?

Head Gardener