Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

European 'Super' League

Started by Chedney Honks, April 19, 2021, 05:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

"I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen"

DrGreggles

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 19, 2021, 10:45:19 PM
"I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen"

Exactly. But, if Messi said it, it would carry more weight.

mothman

I'm not an avid football follower so I'm really enjoying this. Genuinely curious to see what happens. Will it die stillborn? Will it happen, but then all fall apart spectacularly? Or will it happen, and just plod along in the same pale imitation of the football of old like it mostly has for the past 30 years anyway? As the oh-so-vocal fans turn out to be all mouth and no trousers, and just go back to singing while their team is winning (against the same 11 - or 14 - other teams)?

Because I've said it for a long time: there is simply too much money now at stake in this so-called game for it to depend on something so arbitrary and nebulous as which team plays better - especially if said team is the "lesser" one (on paper - and the bottom line of that paper, to be exact).

For all his faults and hypocrisy, Neville was right: the OG Big 3, MNU/LIV/ARS, have to shoulder a lot of the blame here. They had the best part of 15 years with the EPL as their personal playground - the money, the guaranteed Champion's League spot every year. And then they complained when the new money clubs came along and started squeezing them out. Doesn't make CHE/MNC/SPU any better, they just exploited an already-shit system.

bgmnts

Quote from: mothman on April 19, 2021, 11:19:43 PM
I'm not an avid football follower so I'm really enjoying this. Genuinely curious to see what happens. Will it die stillborn? Will it happen, but then all fall apart spectacularly? Or will it happen, and just plod along in the same pale imitation of the football of old like it mostly has for the past 30 years anyway? As the oh-so-vocal fans turn out to be all mouth and no trousers, and just go back to singing while their team is winning (against the same 11 - or 14 - other teams)?

Because I've said it for a long time: there is simply too much money now at stake in this so-called game for it to depend on something so arbitrary and nebulous as which team plays better - especially if said team is the "lesser" one (on paper - and the bottom line of that paper, to be exact).

For all his faults and hypocrisy, Neville was right: the OG Big 3, MNU/LIV/ARS, have to shoulder a lot of the blame here. They had the best part of 15 years with the EPL as their personal playground - the money, the guaranteed Champion's League spot every year. And then they complained when the new money clubs came along and started squeezing them out. Doesn't make CHE/MNC/SPU any better, they just exploited an already-shit system.

Well to be fair Man Utd have been heavily indebted for a very long time, Liverpool were close to administration a decade ago and Arsenal did/do okay because they're shit. Is it the same as the limitless funds of your Chelseas and Citys? I dunno

mothman

Yeah, it's nowhere near as black & white as I laid out. Their debts are enormous. But they are literally too big to fail. Same couldn't be said about Bury.

I feel like Ryan Reynolds as owner of Wrexham could have some social media fun with the ESL, but so far, nothing.

EOLAN

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 19, 2021, 07:50:31 PM
The bigger question is if it does go ahead (and let's hope it doesn't), how quick will Sky be in to bid infinity money for the broadcast rights?

They struggling to match BT for a lot. Amazon look like taking this up unless Google jumps in..

PowerButchi

Quote from: mothman on April 19, 2021, 11:33:02 PM
I feel like Ryan Reynolds as owner of Wrexham could have some social media fun with the ESL, but so far, nothing.

We've already had enough pelters for having the McReynolds ownership after our years of going on about how we're a community team who hate those who have anything to do with modern football as a business and money in the game in general. Keeping schtum on the matter is the right thing to do for us and our ownership,.

Leo2112

Has probably already been covered here, but worth noting the new Champions League revamp coming in 2024 also sounds fucking awful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56771500

QuoteThe new format will see 36 clubs qualifying for an expanded 'first phase', where all clubs will play against 10 opponents of varying strengths.

This will result in a league table, with the top eight qualifying for the knockout phase and the next 16 going into a play-off for the remaining eight slots.

The format has been criticised by fans' groups, not least because two of the additional four slots will be allocated on the basis of past performance, to the clubs with the highest Uefa co-efficient that did not qualify for the Champions League automatically - but did qualify for another European competition.

If the process was in existence this season, Liverpool - depending on the outcome of the domestic cup competitions - and Chelsea would have been the clubs who stood to benefit.

The criticism around this format is that it would strip away the basis of qualification being around league position as a team could qualify for the Champions League despite finishing lower in the table than a team in the same league that missed out.

chveik

they made up that rule to satisfy those 12 clubs but apparently it wasn't enough

Chedney Honks

Quote from: lankyguy95 on April 19, 2021, 10:26:32 PM
Mourinho?

Mou refused to take the players out to train in protest.

Mobius

I'm an Arsenal supporter and I'd love it LOVE IT if they got points deducted or thrown out of competitions because of this.

Just fuck all those teams off, bin them from everything and drag them through court.

Game's gone, just absolutely fuck everything now.

EMBRACE CHAOS

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 20, 2021, 03:19:36 AM
Mou refused to take the players out to train in protest.

He didn't. This tweeter, who changed his bio to say he was the FT's chief football correspondent, made it up: https://twitter.com/thechicoazul/status/1384075142406361091

It was remarkable how many blue tick accounts, mostly from overseas, regurgitated it. Then reporters here saw those tweets and started sharing it as fact too. Great stuff.

I'm reasonably confident that a club will pull out of this in the next week - possibly Liverpool or City - and others will start to follow.

greenman

Quote from: bgmnts on April 19, 2021, 11:24:04 PM
Well to be fair Man Utd have been heavily indebted for a very long time, Liverpool were close to administration a decade ago and Arsenal did/do okay because they're shit. Is it the same as the limitless funds of your Chelseas and Citys? I dunno

Barca and Real are up to their eyeballs in debt again as well aren't they? also in a situation with a good few aging players they'll need to replace soon.

I'd guess not much different in Italy, both Milan teams have been talking about building their own stadiums for years without anything happening so are probably desperate for cash to do that.

Leo2112

Florentino Pérez has claimed that all the clubs have signed the Super League contract and that it is binding.  However the rest of his interview was deranged so he's possibly talking shit

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384282327581298694

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 20, 2021, 03:44:48 AM
He didn't. This tweeter, who changed his bio to say he was the FT's chief football correspondent, made it up: https://twitter.com/thechicoazul/status/1384075142406361091

It was remarkable how many blue tick accounts, mostly from overseas, regurgitated it. Then reporters here saw those tweets and started sharing it as fact too. Great stuff.

Apologies for the ambiguity but I'm deliberately spreading disinformation.

C_Larence

I hope next they say they're not going to have VAR in the league, people's heads would explode like when you tell a robot to divide by zero.

pigamus

That would be a pretty clever PR move actually.

Seems significant that Klopp isn't going to resign. If he doesn't quit, who will?

Chedney Honks

Really heartwarming stuff coming out of Italy and Spain, as well, with the cunts being told to get to fuck. Italy and Spain are arguably worse than England, even, with the same old fucks being kept afloat on a colossal bubble of debt by their own authorities, governments and royalty. Cunt tier beef boys. Whatever happens, and I really can't see this going ahead, nobody across Europe will ever forgive or forget the clubs for this craven cuntery, nor the fans who try to justify it or point the finger elsewhere.

It's remarkable how few people on here have come out and condemned the owners of their clubs, to be honest. Plenty of weasel words and sitting quietly to see which way the wind will blow. I'll tell you, whichever way, it stinks.

Chedney Honks

Any social media feed about is this flooded with 'global fans' saying 'just cos your clob wasn't invite'.

Parasites.

As a Spurs fan I can see why Levy and Lewis have signed up, massive stadium debt with no attendance money nor NFL/concert revenue, no one will sponsor an empty mega stadium. This seems like an answer to the debt problem.

However, the only way out now is a grovelling u-turn and pulling out of the tournament asap. Be the first English club to do this and you might save a smidge of face.

jobotic

They've shown clearly that they view their own fans in the same way that Labour views it's members ooh topical.

But they'll keep buying replica shirts even if they can't go to the games in Bahrain

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 20, 2021, 06:56:32 AM
Any social media feed about is this flooded with 'global fans' saying 'just cos your clob wasn't invite'.

Parasites.

Actually looking at the official Premier League Instagram feed, for example, all the comments there - not usually a hotbed of insight or informed opinion - are absolutely slamming the big clubs and there's a huge proliferation of anti-Super League accounts popping up. Same if i do a quick Twitter search though that might have to do with Twitter filtering posts and accounts from my region, ie Europe.

Inspector Norse

Mr Farenheit

Mourinho now protesting outside Super League HQ

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 19, 2021, 10:17:37 PM
James Milner: "The first we heard of it was when it broke yesterday. My personal opinion is I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen. I agree with most of what has been said about it."

Obviously Milner is a great bunch of lads, but you need the big names coming out and saying this. And now.

Had to say that, he was playing in his hometown against his old club who were so vehemently opposed to ESL, they took to snappy snaps and had t-shirts made and had a mob outside Elland Road.

Just another bobble head nodding.

Inspector Norse

bgmnts

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 20, 2021, 06:35:13 AM
It's remarkable how few people on here have come out and condemned the owners of their clubs, to be honest. Plenty of weasel words and sitting quietly to see which way the wind will blow. I'll tell you, whichever way, it stinks.

To be fair though, if Everton weren't a shit club, you'd have to assume billionaire Farhad Moshiri would have been okay with it.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 19, 2021, 10:48:07 PM
Exactly. But, if Messi said it, it would carry more weight.

another problem in football is the deification of ordinary people.