Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

European 'Super' League

Started by Chedney Honks, April 19, 2021, 05:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: buttgammon on April 19, 2021, 09:01:26 AM
Man City v Chelsea stamping on a human face forever.

I think this is revealing; it's also damning to the whole idea that these two sides are currently much better than most of the teams that have committed to this.

Again probably for that reason, the French and German leagues could probably kick them out and not suffer TOO big a loss of revenue.

I suspect before this happened these clubs have scouted the legal position and feel they would win any legal battles.

Quote from: amateur on April 19, 2021, 08:20:26 AM
What's UEFA's incentive to make these compromises? Loss of revenue from a supposably weaker product?

Yeah. Uefa would probably love closed shop Champions League, but they wouldn't be able to do it without enraging the majority of their members.

amateur

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: fuck 'em.

DrGreggles

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 19, 2021, 09:12:53 AM
All the supporters trusts for the Premier League clubs have denounced this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you want to know what's coming down the track for football then just find a weaker, smaller sport even more craven and beholden to big business. Cricket is a great example. Full of dodgy deals, commercial clusterfucks and brazen laughably transparent corruption. The Stanford t20, the IPL, The Hundred, endless ODI series between India and Sri Lanka.

Not only changing the game but the rules of the sport itself for money laundering, online betting and a mass audience that is enormously myopic, short termist and disinterested in traditions other than as occasional novelties.

As stated above, journalists working for the networks marketing these tournaments are more or less barred from criticising them, while the ones that are independent enough to are sidelined to the point of voicelessness. There will always be a lickspittle and a toady to replace anyone too disruptive.

DrGreggles

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 19, 2021, 09:24:19 AM
There will always be a lickspittle and a toady to replace anyone too disruptive.

whatever happened to 'always a noble and generous person to replace anyone too malign'. Race to the bottom.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 19, 2021, 09:24:19 AM
If you want to know what's coming down the track for football then just find a weaker, smaller sport even more craven and beholden to big business. Cricket is a great example. Full of dodgy deals, commercial clusterfucks and brazen laughably transparent corruption. The Stanford t20, the IPL, The Hundred, endless ODI series between India and Sri Lanka.

Not only changing the game but the rules of the sport itself for money laundering, online betting and a mass audience that is enormously myopic, short termist and disinterested in traditions other than as occasional novelties.

As stated above, journalists working for the networks marketing these tournaments are more or less barred from criticising them, while the ones that are independent enough to are sidelined to the point of voicelessness. There will always be a lickspittle and a toady to replace anyone too disruptive.

Casuals should check out the 'Death of a Gentleman' Documentary.

Thursday

Decided that this is a good thing now because it's funny.

Game's are gone clive

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 19, 2021, 09:13:57 AM
I do wonder if the 15 clubs involved are hoping this escalates to the point UEFA/domestic leagues chuck them out. The proposed format as is does look like it'll get boring very fast - so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up with the 15 "inviting" 25 other teams to set up a format of:

- two leagues of 20
- top four from each go into play offs at end of season, leading to mega "Superbowl" type event.

With no domestic cups or other tournaments, it'd also allow them scope to take fixtures on tour. Perhaps in the future, to "keep things fair" they bring in American-style draft system.

None of this appeals to me one bit, by the way, can just see it being the long-term plan. All the hacks whining today will eventually get in line to praise it, because they'll be told if they don't, there's someone else who will.

Two leagues of 10... but that's still a lot of matches and no relegation. With a 4 team group in the CL or world cup there's usually still something at stake in the last round of matches. With this format you'd surely end up with a load of meaningless fixtures near the end.

I like the way the logo is a NO ENTRY sign

sevendaughters

FIFA's statement is a denunciation as clear-eyed and passionate as the moral case for World War 2 and no less. Let me quote the great man Infantino, that visionary of man management:

QuoteFIFA always stands for unity in world football and calls on all parties involved in heated discussions to engage in calm, constructive and balanced dialogue for the good of the game and in the spirit of solidarity and fair play.

Moved to horrible tears.

SpiderChrist

Fuck this. European Super League, a winter World Cup in Qatar, and all solely for money. Hilarious to read Neville and Keane's comments, as if the Premier League was some kind of altruistic endeavour that has benefited everybody equally and not just made a minority of clubs and players incredibly rich. They're correct, of course, that this is an example of greed, but they are hardly innocents in this regard.

I suppose that, should the Premier League expel these 6 teams, Saints might rise to the dizzy heights of a regular top 10 spot. But that's hardly the point, is it?

Can the owners of these six clubs even spell the word "Corinthian"?

Blinder Data

This can only help Celtic's chances of progressing in the Champions League, so I am all for it!!!

It's interesting that the English clubs are the same that were proposing Project Big Picture last year. Do they see that as their failed last chance to "save" domestic the game or do they want that change to go through and all?

If the breakaway clubs are to be banned from domestic leagues and UEFA, perhaps this is just a way of framing their desertion as an expulsion. A European Super League makes more sense than another midweek competition - it's the logical next move after the formation of the Premier League.

Maybe this is just posturing for more concessions from UEFA, but the reaction makes you think this a watershed moment. They're not going to even pretend to like Ed Woodward after this! Congratulations to the 12 for making PSG look like principled custodians of the competitive nature of of football - great work

greenman

Technically UEFA can't ban clubs from domestic competitions can they?

I suspect there will be strong threats given that any bans will lead to organisations giving them being sued into oblivion.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 19, 2021, 10:28:13 AM
Fuck this. European Super League, a winter World Cup in Qatar, and all solely for money. Hilarious to read Neville and Keane's comments, as if the Premier League was some kind of altruistic endeavour that has benefited everybody equally and not just made a minority of clubs and players incredibly rich. They're correct, of course, that this is an example of greed, but they are hardly innocents in this regard.

I suppose that, should the Premier League expel these 6 teams, Saints might rise to the dizzy heights of a regular top 10 spot. But that's hardly the point, is it?

Can the owners of these six clubs even spell the word "Corinthian"?

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 19, 2021, 09:40:29 AM

Casuals should check out the 'Death of a Gentleman' Documentary.

EOLAN

Quote from: Blinder Data on April 19, 2021, 10:35:27 AM
This can only help Celtic's chances of progressing in the Champions League, so I am all for it!!!

I love making an argument along these lines to tell Rangers/Celtic fans why they should support their arch-rivals in European competition. To assist with the Scottish co-efficients and improving their own seedings/qualifying prospects.

As for the Super League, absolute S4C.

Blinder Data

Quote from: greenman on April 19, 2021, 10:37:11 AM
Technically UEFA can't ban clubs from domestic competitions can they?

I suspect there will be strong threats given that any bans will lead to organisations giving them being sued into oblivion.

No, but the the English, Spanish and Italian leagues and FAs released a joint statement with UEFA to say they'll stay united in their attempts to stop it. Participants could be booted out of domestic leagues, Champions League, Euros - it will be lonely at the top

druss

Banning them from other competitions is the opposite of what should be happening. Just let them have their silly super league but as long as they have to play every other competition as well. All of these twat clubs will be shooting themselves in the foot by playing glorified friendlies midweek meaning they end up winning nothing of value. A few years down the line these big 12 will have won fuck all elsewhere due to fixture congestion and the super league will die.

Bad Ambassador

Morinho and his coaching staff have all been fired, allegedly because he refused to take the team out to train in protest.

Speaking as someone with no interest in football, it's quite interesting watching this from the outside. It seemed to me that the game was dominated for decades by greed, but people have only suddenly realised now.

jobotic

Oliver Dowden looking at the German model!

Are they worried that the Red Wall voters will respond badly to this incarnation of naked capitalism and there may be collateral damage?

Probably not but it's a nice thought.

Norton Canes

Quote from: druss on April 19, 2021, 11:10:07 AM
Banning them from other competitions is the opposite of what should be happening. Just let them have their silly super league but as long as they have to play every other competition as well. All of these twat clubs will be shooting themselves in the foot by playing glorified friendlies midweek meaning they end up winning nothing of value. A few years down the line these big 12 will have won fuck all elsewhere due to fixture congestion and the super league will die

Except the massive cash injection from the Super League and the fact that it's an independent competition will enable them to invest in more players and run two squads.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 19, 2021, 11:15:05 AM
Speaking as someone with no interest in football, it's quite interesting watching this from the outside. It seemed to me that the game was dominated for decades by greed, but people have only suddenly realised now.

Since about 1992. And people have not "suddenly realised now", what's happening now is that the current system (which keeps a minority very rich) is being threatened. The FA, the Premier League, UEFA, FIFA et al don't give a fuck as long as their status isn't threatened. It'll be interesting* to see Keane and Neville's positions if Sky start broadcasting the European Super League.

*not interesting at all - more like sadly predictable

bgmnts

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 19, 2021, 11:31:32 AM
Since about 1992. And people have not "suddenly realised now", what's happening now is that the current system (which keeps a minority very rich) is being threatened. The FA, the Premier League, UEFA, FIFA et al don't give a fuck as long as their status isn't threatened. It'll be interesting* to see Keane and Neville's positions if Sky start broadcasting the European Super League.

Well, i think the fact that millions of football fans have been paying out the nose to watch games on beloved Sky Sports, paying out the nose to watch their millionaire idols play in expensive stadiums surrounded by gambling ads, owned by billionaires etc, shows that 'the people' really didnt care about the direction football went. Neither did they care about all champions league football become paywalled with BT sports.

So why the people give a shit about this I dont know.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 19, 2021, 11:27:18 AM
Except the massive cash injection from the Super League and the fact that it's an independent competition will enable them to invest in more players and run two squads.

No one wants to pay top dollar to see their second team, even if they're technically better than the rest of the league's first teams.

Bad Ambassador

And people have not "suddenly realised now"

I did say "seemed". I thought the turning point was when rights were sold to Murdoch, and suddenly money was pouring into the top tiers faster than they could spend it.

The Culture Bunker

The stance from Neville and other Sky employees yesterday does make me suspect that they are already aware they're not in contention to broadcast any potential 'Super League' matches.

Norton Canes

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 19, 2021, 11:38:14 AM
No one wants to pay top dollar to see their second team, even if they're technically better than the rest of the league's first teams

But that's the point, they'll have enough 'star' players for two teams. I know most big clubs already have different selections for domestic and European games but with the Super League it won't even be a case of first and second selection, they'll run concurrently.

sevendaughters

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 19, 2021, 11:39:42 AM
The stance from Neville and other Sky employees yesterday does make me suspect that they are already aware they're not in contention to broadcast any potential 'Super League' matches.

oh this will clearly be Amazon

Norton Canes

Have I missed how this 'plus five invited teams' thing is going to work? Will it be five teams chosen an the inception and that's it, they're locked in? Or a rolling thing based on the previous season's performance - hey little clubs, finish fifth for a chance of one season playing the big boys! How can clubs duck out of their other fixture obligations for one season?