Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:52:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

European 'Super' League

Started by Chedney Honks, April 19, 2021, 05:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 19, 2021, 11:49:59 AM
But that's the point, they'll have enough 'star' players for two teams. I know most big clubs already have different selections for domestic and European games but with the Super League it won't even be a case of first and second selection, they'll run concurrently.

star players don't want to play in second rate games, fans don't want to watch them, please look at FA Cup attendances pre-semi finals over the last 20 years, and this is on the proviso that the PL and UEFA don't just tell them to get to fuck.

thugler

The players is one thing they don't seem to have considered. Seems like a lot of them are against it, and they weren't consulted. If they were actually united on this and took a stand it would mean a lot.

EOLAN

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 19, 2021, 12:19:29 PM
At last, the voice of sanity

Haha. Wow - that's the first article that made me come around to the idea of the European Super League. At least they waited until the 8 days of mourning had passed before they announced it.

greenman

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 19, 2021, 11:15:05 AM
Morinho and his coaching staff have all been fired, allegedly because he refused to take the team out to train in protest.

Speaking as someone with no interest in football, it's quite interesting watching this from the outside. It seemed to me that the game was dominated for decades by greed, but people have only suddenly realised now.

You could argue it is a bit like the footballing version of Trump, the reaction seems to be as much because its being so bare faced about its intensions rather than keeping the kind of sheen on equality that had existed previously.

EOLAN

Quote from: greenman on April 19, 2021, 12:23:33 PM
You could argue it is a bit like the footballing version of Trump, the reaction seems to be as much because its being so bare faced about its intensions rather than keeping the kind of sheen on equality that had existed previously.

In fairness, there were some things I did agree with in the recent interviews with Judd Trump. Is some room for snooker to be more progressive.

pigamus

Quote from: thugler on April 19, 2021, 12:05:05 PM
The players is one thing they don't seem to have considered. Seems like a lot of them are against it, and they weren't consulted. If they were actually united on this and took a stand it would mean a lot.

Are they in breach of contract if they refuse to play?

The Culture Bunker

You might get a few who (at most) will fire off some disapproving tweets, but I expect most players to pretty much fall in line as per the wishes of their agents.

phantom_power

Quote from: greenman on April 19, 2021, 12:23:33 PM

Yeah I think this is part of it. The Premier League (TM) may have been a craven money grab but at least it was one that every team felt they could some day be a part of. This closed shop Super League takes away even that faint hope.

Kankurette

So what happens to the peasantry like Everton, Burnley, West Ham and so on?

I haven't encountered a single fan who's happy about this shit.

chveik

Quote from: thugler on April 19, 2021, 12:05:05 PM

the players already knew. they wouldn't have pulled a move like this without talking to agents

Inspector Norse

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 19, 2021, 12:52:27 PM
You might get a few who (at most) will fire off some disapproving tweets, but I expect most players to pretty much fall in line as per the wishes of their agents.

I don't know, I think for a lot of them the threat of not being allowed to play in World Cups might still mean something. The fact that big clubs like Bayern, Dortmund, PSG and Sunderland still haven't signed up also suggests that the opposition is there even at the top of the game; coaches like Klopp have spoken out against the idea in the past.

All of this depends on the people making the right noises today actually committing to resist this nonsense, either shutting it down or just making good on their threats to fuck the greedy clubs off and exclude them from everything else; it'll be interesting to see in the latter scenario how many players do take the money and run compared to those who listen to their consciences (or the vast numbers of people who will give them shit for totally selling out) and stay in the domestic leagues.

Inspector Norse

Gulftastic

People saying they won't fill stadiums. Perhaps if they are making so much brass from other streams, they might drop ticket prices to a minimal level, to get an atmosphere at every game.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 19, 2021, 01:18:01 PM
I don't know, I think for a lot of them the threat of not being allowed to play in World Cups might still mean something. The fact that big clubs like Bayern, Dortmund, PSG and Sunderland still haven't signed up also suggests that the opposition is there even at the top of the game; coaches like Klopp have spoken out against the idea in the past.
Maybe, but surely these clubs checked all the legal angles (such as players being banned from the World Cup and other tournaments)? The cynic in me does think that money talks - sponsors may well tell FIFA/UEFA "ban these players from appearing and we'll be taking these large payments elsewhere".

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 19, 2021, 01:22:36 PM
People saying they won't fill stadiums. Perhaps if they are making so much brass from other streams, they might drop ticket prices to a minimal level, to get an atmosphere at every game.
Or just play the games where they will fill a stadium.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Man Utd v AC Milan coming to you LIVE from Twerton Park, Bath!

greenman

Quote from: phantom_power on April 19, 2021, 01:07:37 PM
Yeah I think this is part of it. The Premier League (TM) may have been a craven money grab but at least it was one that every team felt they could some day be a part of. This closed shop Super League takes away even that faint hope.

Although if your looking at technicalities it might be easier for smaller english teams to have a shot at this super league, there talking about 5 "merit" places and the most obvious way to do that does seem to be the highest finishers in leagues outside of the automatic teams. So you might be able to finish 7th in the league and still get a spot in this.

thugler

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 19, 2021, 01:22:36 PM

Don't think that makes much difference, since it will be all TV money. They will push to make more of the stadiums dedicated to corporate seats as well undoubtedly.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

sevendaughters

Quote from: greenman on April 19, 2021, 01:35:50 PMSo you might be able to finish 7th in the league and still get a spot in this.

assuming this does come to pass, you will see faster and harder teams blowing up when trying to cope with going back to mere PL wages when blown out of the SL.

bgmnts

Have the Welsh ever apologised for breeding these horrid cunts like the Morgans into the world?

Kankurette

I don't want Everton getting in there on 'merit'. No thanks.

buttgammon

https://www.ft.com/content/73d3c73f-4687-4dcb-8679-8f1178600d9c

The suggestion here is that the antitrust element could be a problem, both for the league itself and for any attempts to challenge it.

Breakaway leagues are nothing new. In the UK, football weathered the storm triggered by the creation of the Premier League in 1992. Some will point to its success as proof the Super League could flourish. In the last full pre-pandemic season, the EPL generated revenues of €5.8bn, more than 73 per cent higher than closest rival La Liga in Spain, according to Deloitte.

The crucial difference is that clubs can be relegated in and out of the EPL. This would not apply to three-quarters of members in the planned Super League. This would lack a broad hinterland of feeder leagues which would be costly to maintain. Collaboration by a consortium of businesses to create a dominant product of the kind envisaged, albeit in sport, would merit antitrust scrutiny.

So would mooted retaliation by Uefa and the EPL. They are threatening to block player participation in other leagues and national teams. These bodies are plainly rattled by the competitive threat to their own contests, notably the Champions League, which Uefa wants to expand.

Such sanctions would look like a restraint of trade, says Peter Crowther, a legal expert on sports and competition law. In the US, the Supreme Court has to rule repeatedly on the antitrust implications of professional sports, especially Major League Baseball, often over the treatment of players.

chveik

if the money comes exclusively from the US and China, there's going to be some time zone problems

buttgammon

Quote from: chveik on April 19, 2021, 01:52:04 PM
if the money comes exclusively from the US and China, there's going to be some time zone problems

I'd expect some or most of the games to be played in those time zones to be honest.

sevendaughters

I'm entirely sure the legal standing of the proposed league is sound; I just want to know do UEFA and the PL have grounds for booting them out, and why they haven't done so yet. They've signed a 23 year deal!

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Kankurette on April 19, 2021, 01:48:47 PM
I don't want Everton getting in there on 'merit'.

[insert obvious reply here]

Kankurette

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 19, 2021, 02:00:00 PM
[insert obvious reply here]
I know we suck. I don't care. I don't want my team anywhere near this horror show.

Ferris

Quote from: Kankurette on April 19, 2021, 01:09:00 PM
I haven't encountered a single fan who's happy about this shit.

Speak for yourself, I'm fucking delighted.

Absolutely mask-off, unavoidably obvious greed front and centre. Best case scenario - those six clubs piss off and never darken the doorstep of the domestic league ever again and can play spiritless zero-stakes friendlies in empty stadiums for the boys in Guangzhou. They can take their money with them and their players will be left as husks.

Meanwhile the rest of the premier league resets and becomes more equitable and fun. Couldn't ask for more, I might even start watching it again.