Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ebay Hack

Started by fat_abbott, April 19, 2021, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat_abbott

This morning my eBay account was hacked, (select pronoun) changed the delivery address, and tried to order a steering lock for a car. My credit card company refused the transaction, hence me finding out I'd been hacked. Sorted the account out with eBay and it's back to normal.

What I don't understand here is the address they changed, it is a house address in Richmond, North Yorkshire. So I am assuming that...

A) The person doing the scam lives there?
B) There a part two to this where they then convince the seller to send it elsewhere?
C) They somehow intercept the shipment?

If it's A then do I go round there mob handed and get violent?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Richmond is a nice town for a day out, could go for an ice cream afterwards?

DrGreggles

Quote from: fat_abbott on April 19, 2021, 02:09:59 PM
This morning my eBay account was hacked, (select pronoun) changed the delivery address, and tried to order a steering lock for a car. My credit card company refused the transaction, hence me finding out I'd been hacked. Sorted the account out with eBay and it's back to normal.

What I don't understand here is the address they changed, it is a house address in Richmond, North Yorkshire. So I am assuming that...

A) The person doing the scam lives there?
B) There a part two to this where they then convince the seller to send it elsewhere?
C) They somehow intercept the shipment?

If it's A then do I go round there mob handed and get violent?

I bet it's an AirB&B.

Attila

Sometimes it's just a rando address they/their accomplishes have scouted out as a drop-off point.

Perhaps they've noticed that the people who live there are gone during the day, and hang around to collect stuff left on the front porch or whatever. When I was still lining in the USA, a colleague discovered that a neighbour up the street from them was using his house as a drop-off point. Can't remember if it was eBay or not, but neighbour had hacked into someone's account on eBay or whatever. Changed the address to my colleague Jim's house, because Jim and his wife obviously went out to work all day somewhere/no one was home at Jim's house all day. Stuff got dropped off at Jim's house, neighbour strolled over to pick it up. I can't remember how he got busted, whether it was another neighbour who finally noticed, or when Jim's son was staying with them, and the dodgy neighbhour didn't realise the son was at the house.

Jittlebags

In any case. I think a dog dirt delivered through the letter box is the only course of action available.

fat_abbott

I'm only about 25 miles away so the piss through the letterbox seems inevitable.

DrGreggles

Quote from: fat_abbott on April 19, 2021, 04:31:31 PM
I'm only about 25 miles away so the piss through the letterbox seems inevitable.

You should be in the circus.

Buelligan

Maybe it's the address of someone they're harassing, think about that, why don't you, before sticking your penis through the letterbox.  What will you do if there's a police waiting right on the other side?  Yes.

fat_abbott

Quote from: Buelligan on April 19, 2021, 04:49:46 PM
Maybe it's the address of someone they're harassing, think about that, why don't you, before sticking your penis through the letterbox.  What will you do if there's a police waiting right on the other side?  Yes.

Did you seriously think for one minute I would be doing that?

1. I am a massive shithouse so I won't be confronting anyone.
2. Somewhere down the line someone stole my ebay ID and tried to use it fraudulently so I'm not overly fussed about what their intentions are. They tried to defraud me out of at least 53 quid. They weren't fussed about harassing me.
3. My penis isn't big enough to fit through anyone's letterbox, at best I'd have to aim, and that isn't the greatest either.

I apologise for having a bit of fun and going along with a time honoured CAB meme.

fat_abbott

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 19, 2021, 04:39:38 PM
You should be in the circus.

Thanks for the thought, however see point 3 above.

H-O-W-L

Probably an AirBnB or a drop site that the scambastard's using to pick up the parcel later on.

Buelligan

Quote from: fat_abbott on April 19, 2021, 05:31:45 PM
Did you seriously think for one minute I would be doing that?

No.

QuoteI apologise for having a bit of fun and going along with a time honoured CAB meme.

Alberon

Quote from: fat_abbott on April 19, 2021, 05:32:28 PM
Thanks for the thought, however see point 3 above.

Fucksakes! Just use a funnel!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 19, 2021, 05:39:51 PM
Probably an AirBnB or a drop site that the scambastard's using to pick up the parcel later on.
Certainly a possibility (might even be some the home of some little script-kiddie hacker's oblivious granny). It could equally be a postman or delivery company driver who can steal something en route. On the other hand, lots of people are that stupid to get shit delivered to their own house (compare people buying drugs online). It could even be a cock-up with eBay's systems for password/account recovery and somebody took over your account accidentally when trying to reclaim their own.

So many ways to make money in this land of milk and honey!

Icehaven

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 19, 2021, 07:35:44 PMOn the other hand, lots of people are that stupid to get shit delivered to their own house (compare people buying drugs online).

A Greek friend of mine ordered some acid from the darkweb but put the wrong house number on the order, so it was being sent to a house a few doors down. He went round there to explain that they'd be receiving a package for him and to ask them very nicely not to open it, but the neighbour turned out to be Chinese and have a very poor grasp of English. Eventually between the two of them in both their second languages they managed to work it out, and when it turned up the exchange was made with ease so my friend took the Chinese guy a bottle of wine to say thanks. A few days later he came home and found a beautiful Chinese etching of a dragon on his doorstep, as if they were now in a gift exchange. Anyway he took some of the acid and it made the picture move.

touchingcloth

Create a mould of a steering lock, fill it with piss, freeze it, post it through their letterbox.

mothman

^ I like this idea.

Buelligan

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 19, 2021, 08:31:17 PM
Create a mould of a steering lock, fill it with piss, freeze it, post it through their letterbox.

Don't be insane.  A pisspopsicle steering lock would never fit through a letterbox, you insensitive beast.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Buelligan on April 19, 2021, 08:50:44 PM
Don't be insane.  A pisspopsicle steering lock would never fit through a letterbox, you insensitive beast.

It can be scaled down, woman. It can be scaled down.

bomb_dog

The future of 3D printing, right here.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: fat_abbott on April 19, 2021, 02:09:59 PM
changed the delivery address, and tried to order a steering lock for a car.

I'm surprised it didn't force them to re-enter the card details (which they'd not have been able to do, obviously).  Fairly sure that's what Amazon does (at least it did some years ago when I wanted something sending to a different address.)