Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:59:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Guardian 'Capitalism's Conscience'

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, April 19, 2021, 04:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.medialens.org/2021/shocking-omissions-capitalisms-conscience-200-years-of-the-guardian-john-pilger-and-jonathan-cook-respond/

As the alt guardian thread is now locked, I will post this here.

Commentary from Media Lens, Jonathan Cook and John Pilger on a book which apparently pulls its punches.

Overall, the article gives good examples of the issues and, unlike the book, invites the reader to explore why The Guardian is not just a continual disappointment to the left but an overall enemy of it.

TrenterPercenter

but someone posted a link from it showing that Britain was shit and had a dangerous obsession with flags so now I'm confused (psst dear reader, not really <in a Stewart Lee voice>).

I was thinking about chucking in my subs (I give twice as much to DDN before anyone gets carried away) as CaB has been generously sending it traffic everyday so perhaps that is the way to go.

dissolute ocelot

The Guardian is terrible, but Media Lens are an awful bunch of old white men still living in the 1970s. Their solution to the Guardian's problems? It needs to be nicer to, and ideally employ, more old white men like that intellectual titan and master of letters George Galloway (in fairness they also name Russell Brand who's only 45, as well as Peter Oborne, Assange, Chomsky, and inevitably Pilger). They complain the Guardian is too beholden to identity politics, but that's the exact opposite of the truth. The paper has been anti-trans forever; it only reports on issues of equality when something like #metoo or BLM is trending and it wants to do some bandwagon-hopping; and it's far keener to send the likes of Harris and Pidd to interface with the white Northern male than it is to do any reporting on Britain's many ethnic minorities. If it actually cared about defending the vulnerable and exploited, it would be covering the struggles of marginalised groups.

Buelligan

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 19, 2021, 08:06:47 PM
The Guardian is terrible, but Media Lens are an awful bunch of old white men still living in the 1970s. Their solution to the Guardian's problems? It needs to be nicer to, and ideally employ, more old white men like that intellectual titan and master of letters George Galloway (in fairness they also name Russell Brand who's only 45, as well as Peter Oborne, Assange, Chomsky, and inevitably Pilger). They complain the Guardian is too beholden to identity politics, but that's the exact opposite of the truth. The paper has been anti-trans forever; it only reports on issues of equality when something like #metoo or BLM is trending and it wants to do some bandwagon-hopping; and it's far keener to send the likes of Harris and Pidd to interface with the white Northern male than it is to do any reporting on Britain's many ethnic minorities. If it actually cared about defending the vulnerable and exploited, it would be covering the struggles of marginalised groups.

That's incredibly unfair. They name those people because they have been around so long they precede a lot of the deterioration they write about. Their very existence demonstrates the central points of their arguments because they have lived lives spanning the process. Pretty easy to get to grips with.

If your central criticism is they are white male and stale then so fucking what anyway, they are not purporting to be a design for life, they are a critical group, they are there to hold a mirror up to shit journalism and the systemic reasons behind that - which you have not mentioned once. They themselves constantly point out the amount of times critics play the man not the ball, now it's your turn apparently.

They don't lionise Galloway, they simply reference what, at that point in time many many years ago, he was.

They have their hobby horses, but they do a fantastic job.

Rizla

They've just had the independent candidate for Edinburgh Central's campaign video taken off youtube for "breach of copyright", despite permission apparently being sought and granted (it included John Harris reporting on a local grass-roots foodbank initiative). Happy to do the dark bidding of rival candidate (and apparent shoo-in for the seat) Angus "bomber" Robertson.

https://twitter.com/discontent_scot/status/1384127198294990848