Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:58:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Earth still fucked

Started by bgmnts, April 20, 2021, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/19/relentless-climate-crisis-intensified-in-2020-says-un-report

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/20/carbon-emissions-to-soar-in-2021-by-second-highest-rate-in-history

The grim reality people who actually care about the planet that inhabits all life has hit us.

Whilst everyone is ecstatic about finally being able to neck pints by the gallon, eat money at restaurants, needlessly spend and go out shagging everyone they can and being as tightly packed as possible with each other, I'm seeing this and just realising there's no hope for us. We just toslly fuck it all the time and the reset button needs to be hit.

GMTV

If there was to be any hope for some kind of preemptive mitigation of climate change and environmental destruction, it would've been a global consensus to ban a lot of the damaging things that were stopped during lockdowns. We've stopped flights round the world, they can't restart. Excessive consumption, people buying disposal clothes and eating out all the time, that's not restarting. Mass car usage has declined, that process needs to continue, and so on.

But no one wants that, everyone wants to go back to something along the lines of pre covid. Oh but my next car will be a tesla and I'm now vegan....

Living the life until the earth is fucked then it'll be reactive measures to try and mitigate the loss of life and living standards.

checkoutgirl

Didn't all this need to happen around 2000 or 2005 at the latest? We're now at 2021 and governments, vested interest etc are still not taking it seriously. Every year that goes by we probably have to cut down by exponentially less and that's not happening, quite the opposite.

I feel bad for telling my sister she's mad for having children because by the time they're 50 it will be 2070 and who knows what the situation will be with floods, famine, automation, disease etc etc. I feel bad for pointing out what will probably happen because nobody wants to hear it.

And in a way why would they? It's just depressing and there's fuck all individuals can do about it anyway.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I have a feeling, albeit squinting at the topic, that everything is going to be 'alright there mate'.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GMTV on April 20, 2021, 01:25:22 PM
If there was to be any hope for some kind of preemptive mitigation of climate change and environmental destruction, it would've been a global consensus to ban a lot of the damaging things that were stopped during lockdowns. We've stopped flights round the world, they can't restart. Excessive consumption, people buying disposal clothes and eating out all the time, that's not restarting. Mass car usage has declined, that process needs to continue, and so on.

Seems a bit far-reaching the given most of the problems are caused by the top 5% https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56723560

Fambo Number Mive

I think we will see car use become even higher than 2019 post-pandemic (whenever this is) as some people will still feel uncomfortable using public transport even once the pandemic is under control and will stick with their car. With the costs of train travel rising even further, more people might find it cheaper to take the car than the train. We might see more rural bus routes cut as well which will see more car usage in these areas.

Air quality in city centres is just going to get worse and worse and I wonder if we might see people wearing masks in town and city centres post-pandemic to protect against the crap in their air from pollution

I note the government will announce "Radical new climate change commitments will set the UK on course to cut carbon emissions by 78% by 2035"but I don't trust them to ever carry them out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56807520

The elites don't care if the planet becomes uninhabitable in 2030, I imagine most of them will have accommodation on the Moon by that point. It'll be the new Hamptons, loads of rich people farting around in space suits while on Earth wars take place over water.

GMTV

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 20, 2021, 01:40:44 PM
Seems a bit far-reaching the given most of the problems are caused by the top 5% https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56723560

I saw that report at the time. Tackling the 1% would be an easy win. But I don't think that means most of the problems are caused by the 1%, to me that's a cop out for the relatively wealthy Western lifestyle sitting underneath it.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think it's a cop out at all. The top 5% consume vastly more resources, both directly through their lifestyles, and indirectly through their businesses, than the rest of the population so it makes sense to start with them.

Individual liability, is largley a shield with which to protect those people. The idea of the carbon footprint was invented by BP.

GMTV

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 20, 2021, 01:49:52 PM
I don't think it's a cop out at all. The top 5% consume vastly more resources, both directly through their lifestyles, and indirectly through their businesses, than the rest of the population so it makes sense to start with them.

Individual liability, is largley a shield with which to protect those people. The idea of the carbon footprint was invented by BP.

The wealthiest 1% were responsible for the more than double the emissions of the bottom 50%. Presumably the bottom 50% rates are still too high. And what of the other 49% at the top, how does that compare? That's still billions of people.

The richest 10% was responsible for 52% of global emissions over 25 years. The bottom 90% is still responsible for about 50% in that case, which is probably too high in itself. So even if the top 50% dropped their emissions to the bottom 50% that number would still be too high.

And this is only talking about CO2 emissions, the environment is being damaged in numerous other ways that'll directly and indirectly impact climate change.

Fully agree with tackling the top consumers and big business. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be pain further down the ladder too. Its both corporations and government, as well as individual actions that are causing the problems.

There's also the question of the aspirations of people not living the western lifestyle to have that. If everyone's living standards were brought up to the relatively wealthy lifestyle of the likes of the average person in the west then that would result in huge increases in consumption. Would that wipe out any savings from tackling the 1%? So in that respect the current Western lifestyle is unsustainable too.

There's too many people consuming too much. The people consuming way too much want to keep doing that, and the people who consume less want to consume more.

iamcoop

Quote from: bgmnts on April 20, 2021, 01:18:37 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/19/relentless-climate-crisis-intensified-in-2020-says-un-report

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/20/carbon-emissions-to-soar-in-2021-by-second-highest-rate-in-history

The grim reality people who actually care about the planet that inhabits all life has hit us.

Whilst everyone is ecstatic about finally being able to neck pints by the gallon, eat money at restaurants, needlessly spend and go out shagging everyone they can and being as tightly packed as possible with each other, I'm seeing this and just realising there's no hope for us. We just toslly fuck it all the time and the reset button needs to be hit.

Sorry when did it become impossible to enjoy having sex and also care about the planet?

I'd be more willing to engage with your posts if they didn't always start with some massive rant against anybody you perceive to be less holy than yourself.

Fambo Number Mive

But no one wants that, everyone wants to go back to something along the lines of pre covid. Oh but my next car will be a tesla and I'm now vegan....

Living the life until the earth is fucked then it'll be reactive measures to try and mitigate the loss of life and living standards.

What would you suggest re reducing eating out? Banning it altogether sounds extreme and would cause mass unemployment.  You might also just get people spending more time on the internet all day which would also not be good for the environment.

Making walking more accessible by ensuring more A and B roads have a walkable pavement (sick of walking on thin grass verges whilst cars whiz past at 50mph) might help get people out of cars. Roads with pavements on one side only also make social distancing difficult (there seem to be a lot of these, the main road near me only has a pavement on one side).

More of a switch to reusing secondhand goods (which charity shops are already helping with) would be good.

Buelligan

Quote from: iamcoop on April 20, 2021, 02:17:16 PM
Sorry when did it become impossible to enjoy having sex and also care about the planet?

I'd be more willing to engage with your posts if they didn't always start with some massive rant against anybody you perceive to be less holy than yourself.

I though bgmnts lived for sexual congress and I didn't read it that he was having a rant against it, just a rant about people being distracted by low-hanging carrots, rather than realising that the survival of the planet needs more thought.  A fuck sight more.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: GMTV on April 20, 2021, 02:16:31 PMThe wealthiest 1% were responsible for the more than double the emissions of the bottom 50%

Maybe that's because the bottom 50% probably don't even have a toaster, let alone a car and loads of aeroplane travel.

The king of Saudi Arabia visited Japan and when he got there he had rented 200 luxury black limousines. It takes three or four Boeing 747 type jets just to transport all his shit. One of the Saudi Princes rents an entire luxury hotel just for his entourage, he doesn't even stay in that hotel.

That one family might be a good place to start except they buy fighter jets and bombs off America so I'd be scared to say anything to them.

I wonder how much time, money and resources were wasted on the funeral of some hundred year old cunt whose family don't even like him. We are finished as a species, it just depends whether or not you care about that fact. I'm 42 and never exercise so thankfully I'll be gone when the shit truly hits the fan.

iamcoop

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2021, 02:51:28 PM
I though bgmnts lived for sexual congress and I didn't read it that he was having a rant against it, just a rant about people being distracted by low-hanging carrots, rather than realising that the survival of the planet needs more thought.  A fuck sight more.

I happened to choose sex as one example out of the list of things only people that despise the planet enjoy as I couldn't be bothered to list the rest.

Buelligan

Well it was a poor choice.  Choose another is my advice.

Thomas

people buying disposal clothes and eating out all the time

can we stop condemning sex please

iamcoop

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2021, 03:24:24 PM
Well it was a poor choice.  Choose another is my advice.

I didn't ask for it but thanks.

Buelligan

Anyway, what's so wrong with being sexy?

iamcoop

Am I allowed to have sex in a restaurant? That's what I wanna know

Zetetic

carbon assprint

fuck it post

Buelligan

They don't even have photocopiers any more.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: iamcoop on April 20, 2021, 03:32:33 PM

I'll have what he's having

Buelligan

iamcoop

First they came for the photocopied arseholes

Buelligan

ElTwopo

Quote from: iamcoop on April 20, 2021, 03:32:33 PM

Only if its a pop-up restaurant

bgmnts

Quote from: iamcoop on April 20, 2021, 02:17:16 PM

I mean, I am better than most people but that's not hard.

oy vey

Letting rip during sex adds to the problem doesn't it? Or at any other time but that's not the point here.

iamcoop

Imagining being as tightly packed as possible with a lovely, sexy person.

In a restaurant.

Spending money you don't need to? As if.

You're burning it on a pyramid of tyres. (Monty Don is the one being necklaced)

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

The earth will be fine.

We'll be gone.