Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Earth still fucked

Started by bgmnts, April 20, 2021, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

2021 is the year I go Super Unleaded.

Buelligan

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 20, 2021, 11:30:35 PM
The earth will be fine.

We'll be gone.

This is my fervent hope.  If we can't sort ourselves out (which, apparently, we cannot).  Hope the swallows and eagles survive and the clownfish, wombats, arctic wolves and hummingbirds, hope they all get to live happily ever after.

katzenjammer

And those parasitic wasps that turn their hosts into zombies so their larvae can eat their brains whilst they're still alive. Don't forget them.

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 20, 2021, 11:30:35 PM
The earth will be fine.

We'll be gone.
There are still animals and plants in Chernobyl. The earth will find a way back.

Buelligan

Quote from: katzenjammer on April 21, 2021, 09:49:29 AM
And those parasitic wasps that turn their hosts into zombies so their larvae can eat their brains whilst they're still alive. Don't forget them.

Heheh, a good point, try to think of something really dark and threatening in nature and realise humans are at the top of that pile, every time. 

Chedney Honks

This always brings me great comfort. It's better that humans die out sooner rather than later so it doesn't take too long long for animals to recover the place.

GMTV

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 20, 2021, 02:39:53 PM
What would you suggest re reducing eating out? Banning it altogether sounds extreme and would cause mass unemployment.  You might also just get people spending more time on the internet all day which would also not be good for the environment.

I'm not suggesting any of it, I'm of the opinion we're fucked either way. It's too monumental a challenge for humans to undertake. Our brains are hard wired for survival and genetics want us to reproduce.

My thinkings along the lines of Buelligan in that hopefully theres enough variety of living beings left after us that can go on and enjoy the earth after we've fucked it for ourselves.

There was an old statistic from Fast Food Nation (I might be misremembering) that for every calorie of food on our plates it took 6 calories of oil consumed to produce it. Restaurants, takeaways etc must be very inefficient with food waste, plus people buying takeaways whilst they've got food in the house they don't eat. So saying restaurants can't reopen post lockdown would be one idea.

And yes good point, we couldn't just not go out and sit on the Internet or watch HD movies on Netflix either as that's generating emissions.

We'll need to eat our gruel and play cards from now on. Cards made of old leaves and dried shite or summat.

Zetetic

Animals and plants don't know anything. They're idiots. They can't play with this world properly.

Although if you can show me a rat that can reliably capitalise "Earth" when talking about the planet and lowercase it when they're talking about dirt[nb]This is a prescriptivist position, I don't care about historical usage.[/nb], I'll change my mind.

The Crumb

While the current restaurant industry is no doubt hugely inefficient, I think the most sustainable way of feeding people would emphasise communal eating spaces and kitchens run by professionals. Home cooking in the West is generally wasteful in terms of space, energy and food usage.

GMTV

Quote from: The Crumb on April 21, 2021, 01:07:07 PM
While the current restaurant industry is no doubt hugely inefficient, I think the most sustainable way of feeding people would emphasise communal eating spaces and kitchens run by professionals. Home cooking in the West is generally wasteful in terms of space, energy and food usage.

Trip to Amazon Food Station 25 for your alloted daily nutrition

Buelligan

I have some neighbours, they're not hippies, they're people who've lived here forever.  They grow their own vegetables on their own land.  They keep chickens for eggs and meat and rabbits too.  The chickens and rabbits get fed all the veg peelings and stuff.  They don't waste anything.  I don't waste anything either, ever.  I'm not even lying, though I do buy veg and I don't eat meat.  It is very possible for people to live like that, provided society allows it.  Problem is, capitalism doesn't like it, where are the dynamic growth opportunities in mending socks and making soup from plants you've grown?

The Crumb

Quote from: GMTV on April 21, 2021, 01:11:57 PM

Best stay at home, Amazon will never get to you there.

greenman

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2021, 03:36:04 PM
They don't even have photocopiers any more.

3d printed arses at office parties.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GMTV on April 21, 2021, 01:11:57 PM

Reduce existence to nothing but a series of joyless chores and feed people on some sort of soylent made from the bodies of people sensible enough to realise it's probably not worth the effort staying alive.

The Crumb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 21, 2021, 02:51:47 PM
Reduce existence to nothing but a series of joyless chores and feed people on some sort of soylent made from the bodies of people sensible enough to realise it's probably not worth the effort staying alive.

Freely available vegetable thalis would save us all.