Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wishing death on people

Started by madhair60, April 20, 2021, 02:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Ornlu on April 20, 2021, 04:13:13 PM
Oh I'm sure. But I mean, they'd be sad. The overall level of sadness in the world would be increased by those few people's experiences.

I don't know if there's ever been a death in history that NO-ONE was sad about. Even Hitler had... hang on did his wife and dog die first? Idk, bad example. I think lots of racists probably were (and are) sad Hitler died. Maybe like, the Piltdown Man.

Sad, schmad.  Think of all the happiness a death like that could bring.  Always focus on the positive.

Fry

Y'see i don't wish death on the politicians I hate. My idle, hate based fantasies are much more enjoyable. Two major ones include forcing the likes of Johnson / Mogg to relive an entire life as someone born in abject poverty, with a variety of physical and mental disabilities, essentially having the opposite of every privilige they grew up with. Spending the rest of their life being denied services or any real support due to the fucked up libertarian hell they've turned this country into.  All while retaining the knowledge of who they once were in some kind of bizarre prolonged act of karmic retribution. It's either that or sometimes I imagine  manufacturing some very convincing evidence of them committing a series of sexual assults against children, have them know its fake, have them know I know its fake, but still have their lives and reputation ruined over it.

Video Game Fan 2000

If its schadenfreunde you want, track down Cummings big treatise on education and technology and read it all.

Then recognise the fact that from the position of Johnson and others like him - this is what life changing literature looks like, this is the philosophy that was so transformative to his personal outlook on life. You'll never live in such a claustrophobic, narrow Lebenswelt nor are you likely to be vain enough to find yourself taken in that kind of credulous shit. Unlike Boris Johnson and Rees-Mogg, most us are walking around with the benefit of having our experience of the world enriched by decades of sincere encounters and relationships with peers. These are not people with rich, full inner lives. They make Randroids look broadminded and curious.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'll admit I was hoping Cummings would get the vid.

Video Game Fan 2000

Coughing up a lung while his head starts to resemble a pickled beetroot and his brain fog stops him remembering his favourite wikipedia pages.

Pink Gregory

Death, but not suffering.  More like a disappearance. 

Kankurette

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on April 20, 2021, 03:19:32 PM
People on this site seem to have no qualms about wishing death on others, it happens all the time. Cabbers are a truly toxic set of people.
Cry more about masks.

earl_sleek

When 'Prince' Philip was admitted to hospital a while back I wished he would die and then he did die, I'm delighted!

JaDanketies

Mum just came round complaining about how stressful it is helping my grandma out as my grandad dies of cancer and I almost said, "aah well, it'll be over soon" but I caught myself in time.

I mean, like, I don't wish Alexander Armstrong was dead but I do wish that every time he orgasms right at the point of cumming an image of Richard Osman going "hiya!" pops into his head.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 20, 2021, 03:58:34 PM
If Boris Johnson died it would be funny. It just would be.

If he did a Tommy Cooper?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2021, 06:22:06 PM
If he did a Tommy Cooper?

Knocked himself out with a fireman's helmet on camera?

Buelligan

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 20, 2021, 05:31:04 PM
Death, but not suffering.  More like a disappearance.

Exactly, yes, a happy and expected disappearance that involves no mystery.  What's not to like?

Kazaaamm!  There goes another!

Jerzy Bondov

Like imagine if you turned on the telly and it went like "Gary Barlow has died". Try and tell me you wouldn't laugh like a drain.

Flatulent Fox

Cool those jets.
Where is your apathy?
Rees Mog will be a fine 'minister.I quite like the fellow - he has his head screwed on .

I wouldn't wish death on my worst enemy.I;d rather they suffered.
Am eating a sandwhich while typing so you've caught me at my best.

Here is a nice picture of Tobermory from the Wombles if that helps.

Vinnie01

Quote from: madhair60 on April 20, 2021, 02:21:01 PM
Is it really so wrong to wish death on your enemies, or people whose existence makes life worse for the people you love? I truly cannot understand why venting by saying "hope he dies" is such an egregious thing.

This is something I do wonder myself. However asking a spiritualist this question will often point towards Voodoo or Black Magic curses.

Brundle-Fly

I only ever feel those dark thoughts about violent thugs, murderers and rapists. These moments have to be used sparingly and not wasted on a witless town councilor, Foxy from the Foxy Bingo ads or the cunt who pushed in front of me at the till in Morrissons yesterday. It always feels rather impotent.

Pdine

Is it really so wrong to wish death on your enemies, or people whose existence makes life worse for the people you love? I truly cannot understand why venting by saying "hope he dies" is such an egregious thing.

It's a moral rabbit's hole. If it would genuinely be better for x to be dead - really substantially and demonstrably serving the common good by ceasing to be - shouldn't society kill them? Personally I say not, and that Donne had it right when he said that humanity is a common platform in which we all have a stake. What does wishing someone dead really mean? It's a guess about the desirability a future world where they don't exist, but a guess which ignores the truth that any future world where people can get murdered for utilitarian reasons is an undesirable one. Saying that you personally can't bring that world about doesn't diminish the incoherence of the thought.

touchingcloth

Quote from: madhair60 on April 20, 2021, 02:11:56 PM
Surely this is fine, isn't it? I often see it pulled up but I really don't think there's a problem, it's not like anyone's wishes have any kind of actual power to affect reality. Boris Johnson, hope he dies. Rees-Mogg, hope he dies. That Landlord cunt off of Keir Starmer, hope he dies. Don't see any issue whatsoever with this. Donald Trump, hope he dies. "What if they actually died though?" I would feel fucking fantastic if they died.

S'problem? S'matter? Don't get it, me.

This OP was made on Hitler's birthday, which nicely proves its point.

Buelligan

Quote from: Pdine on May 05, 2021, 09:52:40 AM
It's a moral rabbit's hole. If it would genuinely be better for x to be dead - really substantially and demonstrably serving the common good by ceasing to be - shouldn't society kill them? Personally I say not, and that Donne had it right when he said that humanity is a common platform in which we all have a stake. What does wishing someone dead really mean? It's a guess about the desirability a future world where they don't exist, but a guess which ignores the truth that any future world where people can get murdered for utilitarian reasons is an undesirable one. Saying that you personally can't bring that world about doesn't diminish the incoherence of the thought.

I see your point but don't think it's incoherent to wish a weapon, freely used, is turned on the user.  When Corbyn was being openly lied about, traduced brazenly and anyone who raised so much as a quibble was thrown immediately onto the pyre with him - I think it was pretty logical to heartily wish some of those unforgivable smears would wrap themselves about the lives, drag down the lives, of his tormentors.  Understanding that these people were working hard to destroy the chance of a better world for everyone.

Some extremely close friends of mine were murdered, really horribly.  I remember exactly how I felt towards the person that did it, I did feel pity for him but nevertheless, I was really happy to hear of his death.   That does not mean that it's correct to wish to kill people but it's not incoherent.  Sometimes, our option is not paradise or here, understanding that and choosing the least worst option is not incoherent though it may be ugly.

Retinend

Quote from: Pdine on May 05, 2021, 09:52:40 AM

That's a deep one. Well said.

Kankurette

What about when it's yourself?

popcorn

I have to say I am sometimes shocked by the expressions of hate I see on this forum, even for completely loathsome individuals, where it crosses over into a sense of actual bloodlust. If it's a joke, or flippant, or satirical, or whatever, then it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it's the ones that don't seem to be a joke that trouble me.

Well take Glinner for example. You said recently you thought there was no bad thing that could happen to him that you wouldn't celebrate, or something to that effect. Perhaps this only shows how literal-minded I am, or possibly just how fucked up I am, but it made me think, "What, like, if his children were abducted and murdered that would be good, would it? What if he was tortured to death in front of his (ex?) wife, that would be good, would it?" I found it a pretty chilling thing to say. Sorry. But I did.

JaDanketies

I guess it's bad if it affects other people around the baddie; you don't want any harm to come to their loved ones, who are innocent victims in all of this. Although in the example of Glinner, you might think "it'd be a net positive if he just disappeared in a puff of smoke," and "everyone's going to die anyway," but I would distance myself from anything further than that. I would say you can justify being real mean to him when it could be construed as an attempt to get him to shut up and piss off, but once he has shut up and pissed off, you should move on to something else.

Even with right monsters like Ian Watkins or Jimi Savile or Ian Huntley, when people talk about what they 'deserve', involving toothpicks and acid baths and urethras and the rest of it, I find it very distasteful. It doesn't put the fantasist in a positive light.

There's this book called The Room by Hubert Selby Junior, where the guy is in a jail cell fantasising about the grotesque tortures he's going to inflict on the people who put him there. I think it's fine for Hubert Selby Junior to come up with these gross ideas and display them as 'art', but the character in the jail cell, who is enjoying the fantasies and relishing in them, comes across like a right piece of shit. So on the one hand, I  can respect those who can imagine these grotesque punishments as thought experiments, but when it comes across like a search for blood and vengeance, it turns me off.

Kankurette

Quote from: popcorn on May 05, 2021, 02:13:18 PM
I have to say I am sometimes shocked by the expressions of hate I see on this forum, even for completely loathsome individuals, where it crosses over into a sense of actual bloodlust. If it's a joke, or flippant, or satirical, or whatever, then it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it's the ones that don't seem to be a joke that trouble me.

Well take Glinner for example. You said recently you thought there was no bad thing that could happen to him that you wouldn't celebrate, or something to that effect. Perhaps this only shows how literal-minded I am, or possibly just how fucked up I am, but it made me think, "What, like, if his children were abducted and murdered that would be good, would it? What if he was tortured to death in front of his (ex?) wife, that would be good, would it?" I found it a pretty chilling thing to say. Sorry. But I did.
I thought being pointlessly edgy was par for the course around here.

JaDanketies, I hate that too. It's like twisted virtue signalling. Look at me posting my wank fantasies about what I want to do to this bad person, I'm such a good person, such a hero. It's a contest to see who can be the most angry, just like all those women on Mumsnet who compete over who can mourn Azaylia Cain's death the most. Half the time these people are projecting.

Buelligan

Quote from: Kankurette on May 05, 2021, 03:54:28 PM
I thought being pointlessly edgy was par for the course around here.

Oh, why's that then?

Kankurette

Just mainly stuff like the Captain Tom thread. I mean, I was genuinely surprised when I posted about being raped and loads of people didn't make jokes about it.

Buelligan

Quote from: Buelligan on May 05, 2021, 03:56:17 PM
Oh, why's that then?

's actually a bit of a thing here.  Sorry, I was joking.

I didn't read the Captain Tom thread, don't read the Glinner one[nb]'cept the titles, fucking love the titles[/nb], so can't comment on them but in general, I'd say there's a pretty wide range of responses you'll get here (depending on who's posting too).  There are some who're edgy for attention, some because they're cunts, some because they want to provoke thought or move boundaries, some who're so un-edgy you'll never fall off them, even if you try.  The whole gamut, basically.