Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 4 Mk II, I mean Village.

Started by Bazooka, April 20, 2021, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Pre-ordered this so I get some herbs at the start, and played through the first timed demo on Sunday.  I liked 7 but it didn't leave the same impression on me as other entries in the seriit have, this isn't set to do anything wildly different, more interested in the Mercenaries mode that can be unlocked.

Enemy textures looked pretty patchy in the demo and the impact of the guns felt like cap guns, but anyhow no other fuckers are making survival horror games anymore, at least ones with combat that is.

frajer

Played the demo through on Sunday too and liked it quite a bit. Good atmosphere and the bit with
Spoiler alert
the monsters stalking you through the tall wheatfield
[close]
shit me up exactly as they wanted it to, the bloody bastards.

Also realised I never actually got round to finishing 7 so should probably have another crack at that first.

Pink Gregory

Consignia

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 20, 2021, 07:51:20 PM
So is this first person again?

No, Ethan Winters again, so seventh protagonist by my count.

Bazooka

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 20, 2021, 07:10:15 PM
Hi thought this was about the 4emake

It was a kind of jibe, that thematically, specifically locations and over the top villains, it is influenced a lot by RE 4,not necessarily a criticsm.

Thursday

"AHAHAHAHAH SEXY TALLL VAMPIRE LADY AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA STEP ON ME AHAHAHA"

Not often something has the worst fans before it comes out.

Scrubbed through the 4 videos on the steam store page, couldn't find any gameplay.
I'm guessing it'll be one of them. You play the damn game for 4 hours and you still can't find it.

Mister Six

Is it 3rd person this time around? Couldn't get on with RE7 for a bunch of reasons, and the awkwardness of the first-person viewpoint was part of that.

A proper return to RE4 stylee, but without being shit like 5 and 6, would be ace.

Thursday

No it's first person, same loser protag from RE7.

Timothy

Demo was great. Looking forward to the second demo and the full game.

frajer

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 21, 2021, 12:34:47 AM
Scrubbed through the 4 videos on the steam store page, couldn't find any gameplay.

Apparently demo was only available for a set 8 hour window, but there's a second, different demo coming up on 25th April (available to play in UK from 6pm to 2am).

Lot of people not liking this set timeframe online and I must admit I didn't realise, and only happened to play it Sunday evening.

Rev+

The demo business is just weird - have you all been playing on PS4?  That's got two half hour demos, but you can only play them in a certain time window, and only one's out.  The other platforms will have a one hour demo, but with a similar time lock, and they don't come out until next month.

Just bung a demo out you pricks.

Looking forward to this, but probably won't be able to play it for quite a bit because my computer's shit at this stage.  7 was a real return to the early days in terms of gameplay, in that you could pick when to fight and when to just fackin leave it and be sneaky, so I'm hoping for that to continue.  Would be nice if they re-introduced horror, but it's this campy thing at this stage I suppose.

If you'd told me the demo was a pre-order exclusive, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

A demo you can only play at a certain time is just laughable customer hating bullshit at it's best.

They must have seen how when multiplayer games get a server stress test beta and they want as many people playing at once so they say "reet, it's from 6pm to 3am" or something and people get excited because they get to try the game before buying and so there's lots of noise, people asking when the window is and complaining that they'll be working, and everyone's talking about the game, and they must have just thought "we'll have us some of that!"

Artificial scarcity, make it into a event, a moment that you can miss out on.

I suppose the very concept of a AAA gaming company having any sort of goodwill is so devalued now that they have absolutely no qualms in risking what's left for any sort of gain in hype and sales.

BritishHobo

This will be the first time I've ever played a Resi game at release - having exclusively played and loved 4 up until last year. I'm so excited. I've deliberately not played the demo so as to keep everything unspoiled. Sounds like I've not missed much, with all the timed access bullshit. Why do they have to keep messing about with this stuff?

Hope it's not shit. 7 was so good, it'll be amazing if they're able to take that game's marriage of dirty, grimy, relentless horror to OG Resident Evil gameplay, and apply it to Resident Evil 4.

Mister Six

Quote from: Rev+ on April 22, 2021, 12:30:45 AM
Would be nice if they re-introduced horror, but it's this campy thing at this stage I suppose.

Come on, it's been campy from the beginning, with its mansion full of Indiana Jones-style deathtraps and daft dialogue. I suppose the villains have been getting dafter since Code Veronica, but even then, you've got the murderous paedophile police chief in Resi 2, and Ada Wong: superspy running around in a qipao for no reason.

Timothy

I didn't really like Resident Evil 7. The first few hours were great but after that it got quite repetive and dull I thought. Didn't finish the game.

I really liked the atmosphere in the demo but
Spoiler alert
shooting the monsters was quite shit
[close]
. Looking forward to the other demo this weekend (?). Hope it's less cutscene heavy.

Might pre-order it although some rumors also said it might be first day in Gamepass.

Mister Six

Feel like pure shit, just want Silent Hills back.

Rev+

Quote from: Mister Six on April 22, 2021, 02:33:17 PM
Come on, it's been campy from the beginning, with its mansion full of Indiana Jones-style deathtraps and daft dialogue. I suppose the villains have been getting dafter since Code Veronica, but even then, you've got the murderous paedophile police chief in Resi 2, and Ada Wong: superspy running around in a qipao for no reason.

Oh yeah, there's always been that kind of cheeseball B-movie vibe, but Resi 1 - 4 did manage to include moments of proper creepiness and panic too.  I suppose 7 did try a bit, and it was enjoyable, but the whole thing is so completely glazed with silliness it just kind of falls in on itself.

7 did feature my favourite item description text of the lot though.  On examining a photo of a family member:  'I don't know who this is, but he looks like an arsehole'.

Bazooka

Just beat the Castle demo, well I say beat, not sure if it's meant to end, I ran out of time fighting the mini boss, which I hope isn't in the game too much because she is incredibly bland and annoying in a grating sense.

Timothy

Quote from: Bazooka on April 25, 2021, 11:13:00 PM
Just beat the Castle demo, well I say beat, not sure if it's meant to end, I ran out of time fighting the mini boss, which I hope isn't in the game too much because she is incredibly bland and annoying in a grating sense.

There was an ending to the demo. I finished the demo in 12 minutes. Still have 18 on the clock if I want to play it again. You
Spoiler alert
couldn't fight the boss but had to ran away from here, to the light. She's a vampire so she can't follow.
[close]

Really enjoyed it and I think I'm going to buy the game on release if the reviews are good.

Bazooka

Ah ok, I was in that labyrinth but couldn't find a way out.

Timothy

It was quite tough. I lucked out and while running around like a maniac I
Spoiler alert
stumbled upon a staircase that lead me to the ending.
[close]

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mister Six on April 21, 2021, 04:07:30 AM
Is it 3rd person this time around? Couldn't get on with RE7 for a bunch of reasons, and the awkwardness of the first-person viewpoint was part of that.

A proper return to RE4 stylee, but without being shit like 5 and 6, would be ace.

I thought 5 was pretty good, 6 stank to high heaven though. It was like taking an exam. 7 was great fun but I had to start the whole game again on easy mode to finish the whole affair because, for the death of me, I could not get through that basement battle where you kept having to saw Yoffy from Fingerbobs in half with a chainsaw.

Rev+

That fight was awful, but of the under-appreciated things about 7 is how you can trap enemies and leave events until you're ready to do them.  That guy will pursue around the house normally, but doing a couple of things will relegate him to the basement until you're sufficiently tooled-up to deal with him.  It's the sort of thing you only realise on your second playthrough.

brat-sampson

Now the Demos are both on PC/Steam, I gave it a bash. Runs pretty well although did get a crash, managed to get through both easily within the time frame allowed. Agree so far with the assessment of great atmosphere, slightly shit combat. Getting ganked in the dungeon by the sickle crew was a bit meh, but I already love the vibes of this creepy-ass town, the gothic mansion, the other townsfolk also all getting fucked about etc, it feels like a great spot between 4 and 7.

Almost tempted to preorder this, but I've nothing to actually lose by waiting for reviews, so shan't. I expect I'll pick it up soon though.

BritishHobo

I've played about an hour so far, up until
Spoiler alert
the first few encounters
[close]
and, as expected, it's scared fuck out of me so far. The opening
Spoiler alert
slaughter of your wife feels pretty fucking nasty and cheap given all the shit you went through last time
[close]
, but it all picks up from there, and that
Spoiler alert
first view of the village and the castle was an ace moment.
[close]

Moribunderast

Played about two hours and am loving it. It's really intense thus far. The
Spoiler alert
early werewolf enemies are quite difficult as they move about quickly and take more than a few shots to kill. You also feel very swarmed early on as you have fuck all ammo and seemingly too many enemies to fight. I've gotten to the castle now, met the merchant and what seems to be the core cast of villains. They seem very fun in a campy Resident Evil way. Am now looking forward to engaging in my favourite RE gameplay, exploring a large castle/mansion. Hopefully it's as well designed as the house in RE7 and/or the mansion in RE1.
[close]

Bazooka

That intro animation does not belong anywhere in a RE game.