Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:04:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 4 Mk II, I mean Village.

Started by Bazooka, April 20, 2021, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

It did feel very strange that. Anyway played for an hour, and yeah they've definitely taken inspiration from Resi 4. I almost started to play it like Resi 4 was I getting enemies to the ground and then trying to finish them off with the knife... which doesn't really work they're far too strong for the knife to be very viable.

BritishHobo

I've
Spoiler alert
got to the castle, and I'm enjoying it, but it feels very stop-start so far. I feel like I've not yet found a location where I get to explore for more than ten seconds before it shifts to a cutscene and I'm dragged to a different location by a character who then fucks off.
[close]
That said, I like that it continues the tradition of
Spoiler alert
Ethan relentlessly getting stabbed and hacked to shreds.
[close]
The man is a trooper.

EDIT: Scratch that, I immediately after posting reached
Spoiler alert
what seems to be the beginning of proper exploration of the castle.
[close]
Agreed so far on the Resident Evil 4 inspirations, it feels very nicely like they've looked at the elements that differentiated 4 from the original trilogy. Bit more
Spoiler alert
action, and dealing with waves of ememies rather than running into one creature at a time.
[close]
And the inclusion of
Spoiler alert
a merchant is obviously a really wonderful nod.
[close]

H-O-W-L

Real fucked off they haven't
Spoiler alert
ever brought back THE merchant.
[close]

Bazooka

I'm playing it hardcore and the
Spoiler alert
survive the attack section took a few attempts because you aren't to know it's about getting to a certain point rather than minimum kills,so it was rough. The knife seems pretty ineffective on hardcore at least, and I've not mastered the timing of the block/push back.[/s]
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 08, 2021, 01:28:13 AM
Real fucked off they haven't
Spoiler alert
ever brought back THE merchant.
[close]
They wanted to, but
Spoiler alert
he demanded a high price.
[close]

Timothy

Just left
Spoiler alert
the castle
[close]
. Have been playing around 2,5 hours so far.

Enjoying the game but its a bit too much gunplay for me. I prefer puzzling over shooting.

TrenterPercenter

I'll likely pick this up as a fan of the series (loved 4, 7 and the remakes) though currently besotted with another game and will be for some time; what are the general feels is it good?

Danbo (blue revolver) will give it to you straight, he knows his onions.

https://twitter.com/__danbo/status/1390611129794285575

Quotepleasantly surprised by re village
still dislike the fundamentals of the game (fps, blocking) but there's a lot to love over say re7
history repeating itself with capcom making an excellent survival horror remake (re2r) and then forging away from that into horror action though

game starts off with more or less the most unfavourable comparison to re4 and you can tell right there and then that the fundamentals are sorely lacking.
if there's an equivalent to headshot->kick it's that you can shove enemies after blocking them. kinda lame

but what the game does crucially right over re7 is that it does keep things fresh and is always throwing new stuff at you. there is the obligatory "point that drags on wayyy too long" but it's still a lot better than the fucking boat

beautiful environments and art, runs well

there's definitely a huge difference between the castle and most other areas, the former is far more fleshed out and has things like puzzles (!)

also this game has like 3 climaxes, in terms of pacing and general tone its very confused and manic but i don't mind that at all

in conclusion i'm sad that capcom will probably not be making actual survival horror games for quite some time, but i've played far worse games with the words "resident evil" in them

Thursday

Quote from: Timothy on May 08, 2021, 12:48:39 PM
Just left
Spoiler alert
the castle
[close]
. Have been playing around 2,5 hours so far.

Enjoying the game but its a bit too much gunplay for me. I prefer puzzling over shooting.

Surprised to see someone say this, found it all very light on gunplay myself. I'm accumulating ammo and being given very little to fire it at. You'll probably just be getting to a section that is all puzzle stuff in a bit.

Spoiler alert
Fuck me, that horrible monster baby thing in the doll section was good
[close]

Thursday

One thing I'm torn on is indicators telling you if you've cleared a room or not. Feel like half my playtime is due to scouring every room for carefully hidden items. I think they introduced these in Resi 2 remake, and it's fine for that, but here it's really difficult to find some of the items in tiny rooms, and I spend so much time scouring for junk I mostly don't need that much.

BritishHobo

I've just left
Spoiler alert
the castle myself.
[close]
To add a third viewpoint, I think there's a nice balance in terms of the gunplay. It's not full-on Resi 4 levels of having to clear an entire area of twenty or thirty zombies, but I think there's enough to give it that vibe, and differentiate it from Resi 7, where the monsters are scarce.

Some lovely little touches so far, like
Spoiler alert
the mini version of the castle, with the tilt-ball puzzle - or the personality given to the merchant. I heard an unnerving growling whilst in the main hall at one point, and spent tense few minutes checking corridors and staircases in near-petrified horror,
before realising it was that cunt snoring in the safe room.
[close]

Spiteface

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 07, 2021, 02:04:53 AM
I've played about an hour so far, up until
Spoiler alert
the first few encounters
[close]
and, as expected, it's scared fuck out of me so far. The opening
Spoiler alert
slaughter of your wife feels pretty fucking nasty and cheap given all the shit you went through last time
[close]

I'm not far into it, but that feels like an
Spoiler alert
old-fashioned fridging to me.
[close]

So far, enjoying this. I loved RE7, for some reason couldn't get onto the RE2 remake (skipped 3), but this is what I was hoping for.

BritishHobo

That's exactly what I thought, it took me straight back to that Anita Sarkeeesian video where she shows clip after clip of
Spoiler alert
video game wives dying, and the daughters being kidnapped.
[close]

The game is really opening up for me now, I'm enjoying it a lot. It feels so nice to finally get a game that attempts to live up to Resident Evil 4. I've no idea how they're going to explain some of this mad shit though.

Thursday

I do think they need to do they? I think they've just embraced that mad fantasy horror shit can happen in Resi now and I'm fine with that.

BritishHobo

For sure. I think I just enjoy seeing what they come up with to make sure it still ties in to the original plot, it's good fun. I suppose it's been tenuous as far back as Resi 4. I did really like how it was all explained in 7 to be fair, something really stuck with me about the image of the ship crashing near this middle-of-nowhere plantation, and having this appalling but very small-scale effect by infecting the family.

Spiteface

Right now, stuck on
Spoiler alert
avoiding the giant baby. Once I've got the fuse and put it in the breaker, I try hiding from him in the study and he gets me every time I try to get out when he's not looking or I try waiting him out.
[close]

Timothy

If I am correct about the rooms try to
Spoiler alert
hide under the bed.
[close]
That worked for me. In the rooms before that I tried to
Spoiler alert
just outrun it and that seemed to work. Its quite slow so take your time.
[close]

I am almost at the end of the game I think. Just found the
Spoiler alert
fourth flask. The first and second were great, but didnt really liked the third and really disliked the Stronghold.
[close]

First half so far was better then where I am now. Hope it picks up again.

Spiteface

I just realised I was overcomplicating it for myself. Just watched a video and it seems
Spoiler alert
the lift should arrive just in time. I thought you needed to hide longer once you put the fuse in.
[close]

I'll go back to it tomorrow.

BritishHobo

I did a similar thing. I was
Spoiler alert
running all the way back to the original rooms and hiding in the cupboard, assuming it would then move on.
[close]
Eventually I just
Spoiler alert
went into the study, hid behind the desk until it went away, then ran back out.
[close]

St_Eddie

As someone who kinda loathed Resident Evil 4 (fantastic game. Terrible "Resident Evil" instalment; as a part of a series, much like Alien Resurrection) and thought that 7 was a glorious return to the series' horror roots, I'm not going to like this, am I?

St_Eddie

It does seem very much like Resi 4: Part Deux, at least from the trailers that I've seen, just ain't what I'm looking for in a Resi game.  I'm sure that the game's a lot of fun and I'll likely enjoy playing it eventually, but with 7 and the remakes, I was over the moon to see Capcom go back to the series' horror roots.

I can't pretend not to be disillusioned by their decision to go back to the dumb action well so soon.  RE4, as great as it was (and it is great. Don't get me wrong) was the beginning of the downfall of Resi; when the series skewed towards action.  History repeats itself.

Timothy

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2021, 03:33:41 AM
As someone who kinda loathed Resident Evil 4 (fantastic game. Terrible "Resident Evil" instalment; as a part of a series, much like Alien Resurrection) and thought that 7 was a glorious return to the series' horror roots, I'm not going to like this, am I?

That's a difficult question. I'm not entirely sure what to think of the game myself and I think I almost finished it (one of my friends finished it and told me I have two or three hours left). It's a game of two halves.

You are definitely going to love the first few hours of the game. There are some fantastic locations
Spoiler alert
the castle, the house, the village. Especially the house might be one of the best RE locations ever made, ironically it's the location in game where you don't have any weapons available
[close]
, the atmosphere is great and the first part of the game definitely reminded me of RE7. The second location is one of the most scary locations in a game I've ever played.

But at a certain point (half way through I think) that changes. Around the
Spoiler alert
fourth location
[close]
the game slowly shifts into more of a shooter.
At points it felt a lot more like the Metro games and a lot less like Resident Evil.

I think the Gamesradar review says this better than I can:

QuoteMost noticeably it feels like there's a real difference between the first and second half. The opening is strong, clever, and fun - full of atmosphere and intrigue as you explore (and features a part that's probably one of the best stand-alone horror levels of the year). While the latter half veers into 'okay' territory, with some combat slogs, a boss fight that's a bit of a stretch even by Resident Evil standards and, while it's still good, it lacks the same spark and craft as the beginning.

The change between the first and second halves feels like a gradual drift from the sinister tone of the last game, to Revelations' louder, fun action movie vibe.

QuoteIt's also a shame (for me at least) that this is one of the 'not a horror game' Resident Evils. There are scares and some lovely creepy bits, especially at the start, but Resident Evil Village is mostly a big shooty action game. After Resident Evil 7's creepy tension, Village's extended gun battles with crowds of werewolves feel brash and occasionally fumbling.

https://www.gamesradar.com/resident-evil-village-review

Even though I would definitely recommend you to play it, even if it's just to experience the first half, maybe wait for a sale or for it to turn up in Gamepass or something.

So far I enjoyed it, but (bar one location) it's definitely less scary then RE7, the game is way too easy, there's too much shooting and the puzzles are quite mediocre.
It's a fun game but not as good as previous RE's.

I will report back when I finished it tomorrow.

Bazooka

I also haven't finished it so will retain full judgment, but on the 'Great Game, terrible Resident Evil' then yes it does fit that forumla, but it's not as good as RE4.

madhair60

I'd personally argue that the worst Resi games pre-date Resi 4*; yer Outbreaks, yer Gun Survivors, yer Code Veronicas (don't argue, it's a fundamentally broken game). I'd rather play Resi 5 or 6 over any of those, as flawed as they are - great fun on co-op with a mate in the same room. I loved the Revelations series, especially 2.

For me, shooter Resi IS Resi, I didn't really come to appreciate the original "tank controls" games until much later. Not that I'm dismissing said tank controls, they're fine, just making the distinction. But it's when I picked up Resi 4 from a charity shop that I went, hang on, this is amazing.

From what I've played of Resi 8 I'm finding it stiflingly linear. It's fun, but there's no sense of freedom of exploration here.

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 10, 2021, 03:33:41 AMAlien Resurrection

Please do not compare Resident Evil 4 to Alien Resurrection.

*Operation Raccoon City notwithstanding

Jerzy Bondov

Resi 4 is a good Resident Evil game. It's a good game, one of the best ever, and it says "Resident Evil" on the box and when you press start some lad goes like "Resident Evil". He doesn't say like "Crrrrrrazy Taxi it's party time let's have some fun" does he. It doesn't say "Mr Nutz" on the box does it. No. There I've proved my point and will entertain no more discussion on this topic.

Bazooka

madhair couldn't get past the tyrant on the plane, only way such an opinion on CV could be forumulated.

madhair60

Quote from: Bazooka on May 10, 2021, 12:41:22 PM
madhair couldn't get past the tyrant on the plane, only way such an opinion on CV could be forumulated.

Horrible character swap system that you basically need to know is coming makes it a stinker.

Obviously s'okay on a replay, when you're not going to lose a gun through no fault of your own because the game arbitrarily switched characters.

Thursday

CV is the weakest of the trad tank control games. No doubt about it.

1>2>3>CV

Thursday

Just got to a plot twist so dumb (in the factory) that I had to pause the game and walk around the flat shaking my head and make this post about it.

Thursday

And finished really tough to pin down how I feel about it. Good, better than 5 and 6 certainly but probably one of the weaker of the mainline ones overall.