Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Mk II, I mean Village.  (Read 7871 times)

H-O-W-L

• "CHRIST!!! CAT BRUSH!!!"
Re: Resident Evil 4 Mk II, I mean Village.
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »
Beat it thrice now. First time was a leisurely 7 hours, then a 3 hour run, then a 2hr15min run. Gonna go for Village of Arseholes next.

Clownbaby

• Toe to tip, this is a Bart
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2021, 02:23:15 PM »
I wish I'd played this on hardcore mode. i felt like I breezed through it. It was a gorgeous looking, campy, genuinely fun game but like nearly every bloody Resident Evil game took a fat nose dive in the story department about 3 quarters in. Also does anyone actually like Ethan and Mia as characters? Couldn't drum up any interest in them or their wellbeing in this or RE7, but I guess a blank slate sort of dull guy lends itself fairly well to RE's first-person shift.

The villains were the main draw for me looking forward to this game and apart from the crap doll bit and the disappointingly generic Mother Miranda (am I the only person who thought she was shit), the baddies were fun and charismatic

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2021, 07:39:31 PM »
Mother Miranda is a bit tame yes, the other characters were more stand out, I mean Moreau's lines are a bit jump the shark, RE1 Tyrant wouldn't deliver such cringe.

I finished it first on Hardcore and the first half of the game is more difficult than the second half, Moreau drained a lot of ammo. I then did it on Village of Shadows which was tricky but I knew what to focus on then, it's the bosses health pools that are real walls.

I've started a run on casual just to clear up some trophies but need a break from it, after finishing mercenaries.

H-O-W-L

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »
I like it far more than 7 and RE2make/RE3make. I like RE3make a lot, never want to replay RE2make to be honest. RE7 is also unreplayable for me because of the raw slog that is the first hour. This one has a great concept of "iterative runs" where each run gets faster and more efficient based on your performance and stuff which is great.

madhair60

• ほっといてほしい。
  • Golden Member
  • 死にたい
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2021, 03:26:26 PM »
Apart from that one bit which is great the first time but absolutely identical the second and onward, only letting you skip a tiny bit of puzzle if you remember a combination lock

H-O-W-L

« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2021, 05:13:34 PM »
Apart from that one bit which is great the first time but absolutely identical the second and onward, only letting you skip a tiny bit of puzzle if you remember a combination lock

Yeah, but it lasts about five minutes if you know the route and the code. I'm not keen on it but it's INFINITELY faster than the fucking Guest House in RE7 and all the related Jack chase shit right after.

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2021, 02:20:00 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqgMVGvYuGc

This channel is pretty amusing, it shows parts of the game from other camera perspectives, here is the baby devouring Ethan.

madhair60

• ほっといてほしい。
  • Golden Member
  • 死にたい
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »
I'm not keen on it but it's INFINITELY faster than the fucking Guest House in RE7 and all the related Jack chase shit right after.

No doubt - though to be fair I've only played Resi 7 through once. Maybe time for another run

St_Eddie

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2021, 03:00:03 AM »
The writer/director of the film Frankenstein's Army (2013), Richard Raaphorst, is accusing Capcom of plagiarism in regards to the game's monster designs.  Comparisons here.

Pretty obvious that Capcom did indeed rip off the propeller head design there and it's hardly surprising, given that it's always been what they've done; be it with Romero's living dead movies, Stuart Gordon's Dagon (the closing sequence of act I is clearly where the village siege in Resident Evil 4 was taken from) Return of the Living Dead III (the bandersnatch in Resident Evil: Code Veronica), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Friday the 13th (the Baker family in Resident Evil VII and the chainsaw wielding cloth sack faced killer in Resident Evil 4) and so on...

This is probably the first time that I've seen a creative kick up a fuss about Capcom's "homages" though and to be fair, who can blame him.  I'd be pissed off too in Raaphorst's position.  They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but that probably doesn't really hold water when a corporate entity is profiting off your designs without due credit or financial compensation.

Further to this previous post of mine, another development in the long and sordid history of Capcom's plagiarism has emerged; an artist by the name of Judy A. Juracek has filed a lawsuit against Capcom, claiming that the developer used imagery from her 1996 book and CD combo ‘Surfaces: Visual Research for Artists, Architects, and Designers‘ for several Capcom titles without her permission, most notably on Resident Evil 4.

Details here.

Glebe

• You must have realism, Spike.
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2021, 08:55:46 PM »
I've not got Village, but I picked up Resident Evil HD Remaster for my Xbox One on the Microsoft Store for €5 recently (also splashed out and got Batman: Return to Arkham) and am very much enjoying it, although it's a little tougher than the original PS1 version I'm familiar with, and is also missing some of that version's haunting music, being as it is a remake of the 2002 GameCube port which I've never played. Still, top stuff.

« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2021, 09:04:17 PM »
I picked up 4, 5 and 6 in a sale a while back after finishing 7. Got through 4 this week which I loved then went right onto 5. Controls are demented in comparison and plot wise it feels a bit fucking shite, like a rail shooter or something. Feels like there's mild chance of getting stuck on stuff, arrows pointing everywhere under the guise of being construction work in zombie world, going in straight lines forever. Now stuck on the bald bloke who turns into the big black octopus in the room full of gas cans and flamethrower. Taking forever. I AM TIRED.

Glebe

• You must have realism, Spike.
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2021, 09:05:27 PM »
I could never get into 4, found the fighting too tricky.

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2021, 09:23:28 PM »
I'm gonna chime in now I've bought this.  It looks incredible and satisfyingly terrifying. That fucking baby. ! Jesus.

Tags: