Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:05:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Resident Evil 4 Mk II, I mean Village.

Started by Bazooka, April 20, 2021, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Beat it thrice now. First time was a leisurely 7 hours, then a 3 hour run, then a 2hr15min run. Gonna go for Village of Arseholes next.

Clownbaby

I wish I'd played this on hardcore mode. i felt like I breezed through it. It was a gorgeous looking, campy, genuinely fun game but like nearly every bloody Resident Evil game took a fat nose dive in the story department about 3 quarters in. Also does anyone actually like Ethan and Mia as characters? Couldn't drum up any interest in them or their wellbeing in this or RE7, but I guess a blank slate sort of dull guy lends itself fairly well to RE's first-person shift.

The villains were the main draw for me looking forward to this game and apart from the crap doll bit and the disappointingly generic Mother Miranda (am I the only person who thought she was shit), the baddies were fun and charismatic

Bazooka

Mother Miranda is a bit tame yes, the other characters were more stand out, I mean Moreau's lines are a bit jump the shark, RE1 Tyrant wouldn't deliver such cringe.

I finished it first on Hardcore and the first half of the game is more difficult than the second half, Moreau drained a lot of ammo. I then did it on Village of Shadows which was tricky but I knew what to focus on then, it's the bosses health pools that are real walls.

I've started a run on casual just to clear up some trophies but need a break from it, after finishing mercenaries.

H-O-W-L

I like it far more than 7 and RE2make/RE3make. I like RE3make a lot, never want to replay RE2make to be honest. RE7 is also unreplayable for me because of the raw slog that is the first hour. This one has a great concept of "iterative runs" where each run gets faster and more efficient based on your performance and stuff which is great.

madhair60

Apart from that one bit which is great the first time but absolutely identical the second and onward, only letting you skip a tiny bit of puzzle if you remember a combination lock

H-O-W-L

Quote from: madhair60 on May 26, 2021, 03:26:26 PM
Apart from that one bit which is great the first time but absolutely identical the second and onward, only letting you skip a tiny bit of puzzle if you remember a combination lock

Yeah, but it lasts about five minutes if you know the route and the code. I'm not keen on it but it's INFINITELY faster than the fucking Guest House in RE7 and all the related Jack chase shit right after.

Bazooka

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqgMVGvYuGc

This channel is pretty amusing, it shows parts of the game from other camera perspectives, here is the baby devouring Ethan.

madhair60

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 26, 2021, 05:13:34 PM
I'm not keen on it but it's INFINITELY faster than the fucking Guest House in RE7 and all the related Jack chase shit right after.

No doubt - though to be fair I've only played Resi 7 through once. Maybe time for another run

St_Eddie

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 11, 2021, 05:05:17 PM
The writer/director of the film Frankenstein's Army (2013), Richard Raaphorst, is accusing Capcom of plagiarism in regards to the game's monster designs.  Comparisons here.

Pretty obvious that Capcom did indeed rip off the propeller head design there and it's hardly surprising, given that it's always been what they've done; be it with Romero's living dead movies, Stuart Gordon's Dagon (the closing sequence of act I is clearly where the village siege in Resident Evil 4 was taken from) Return of the Living Dead III (the bandersnatch in Resident Evil: Code Veronica), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Friday the 13th (the Baker family in Resident Evil VII and the chainsaw wielding cloth sack faced killer in Resident Evil 4) and so on...

This is probably the first time that I've seen a creative kick up a fuss about Capcom's "homages" though and to be fair, who can blame him.  I'd be pissed off too in Raaphorst's position.  They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but that probably doesn't really hold water when a corporate entity is profiting off your designs without due credit or financial compensation.

Further to this previous post of mine, another development in the long and sordid history of Capcom's plagiarism has emerged; an artist by the name of Judy A. Juracek has filed a lawsuit against Capcom, claiming that the developer used imagery from her 1996 book and CD combo 'Surfaces: Visual Research for Artists, Architects, and Designers' for several Capcom titles without her permission, most notably on Resident Evil 4.

Details here.

Glebe

I've not got Village, but I picked up Resident Evil HD Remaster for my Xbox One on the Microsoft Store for €5 recently (also splashed out and got Batman: Return to Arkham) and am very much enjoying it, although it's a little tougher than the original PS1 version I'm familiar with, and is also missing some of that version's haunting music, being as it is a remake of the 2002 GameCube port which I've never played. Still, top stuff.

Goldentony

I picked up 4, 5 and 6 in a sale a while back after finishing 7. Got through 4 this week which I loved then went right onto 5. Controls are demented in comparison and plot wise it feels a bit fucking shite, like a rail shooter or something. Feels like there's mild chance of getting stuck on stuff, arrows pointing everywhere under the guise of being construction work in zombie world, going in straight lines forever. Now stuck on the bald bloke who turns into the big black octopus in the room full of gas cans and flamethrower. Taking forever. I AM TIRED.

Glebe

I could never get into 4, found the fighting too tricky.

Brundle-Fly

I'm gonna chime in now I've bought this.  It looks incredible and satisfyingly terrifying. That fucking
Spoiler alert
baby.
[close]
! Jesus.

bgmnts

Was a bit rubbish really.

I know it's just so they can reuse the assets to make a small fortune for the inevitable RE4 remake but still, rubbish story, rubbish characters, rubbish enemy designs, cringey dialogue and I dont know just eh. Oh and an arbitrary link to the old resi Canon thrown in at the last because why not.

The one game I actually want remade (Outbreak) will never be remade so I dont really care but yeah it's sad.

The Dinitrescu stuff was probably the most fun but obviously they put the most work into that because huge woman has big boobs and gamers drooled over it so good marketing there.

Competent though, no real fuck ups or flaws. It worked, controlled fine and I wasn't frustrated at any point by had game design.

6/10

I cant believe it's a Resident Evil game with Chris Redfield in that I dont like.

Thursday

I'm still angry about the fact that

(endgame spoilers)
Spoiler alert
Chris just didn't bother to explain to Ethan that he hadn't actually killed his wife. Because he "didn't want him to get involved." even though he's getting involved because he's trying to save his daughter, all he has left now he thinks his wife is dead, and he's certainly not going to listen to the man who he thinks killed his wife telling him to back off.

You absolute fucking moron and cunt Chris.
[close]

TrenterPercenter

Actually picked this up again the other day after completely losing interest in Deathloop all of a sudden.  Picked up where I left off at
Spoiler alert
that giant werewolf nobber with the hammer
[close]
and completed it - its was alright.  I've never paid attention to any of the storyline because it complete trash and I find detracts from the good photorealism graphics that create the atmosphere.  Actually started playing it through again on Village of Shadows difficulty and have already ripped through the castle much easier if you've got a few weapons on the go from the previous play through
Spoiler alert
infinte ammo though just seems pointless
[close]

Goldentony

finished this yesterday and i'd really, really like a full DLC game of labyrinths

popcorn

Finally got round to playing this. I enjoyed it a lot! Some of the comments here and in reviews led me to expect a dramatic drop in quality halfway through, like RE7, but I thought it was consistently entertaining and maintained a steady dripfeed of new ideas.

I liked the touches of open-world design, with you roaming in larger circles in the village and doing extremely limited bits of hunting. I feel like there's another survival horror game here waiting to be made, eventually - something meaningfully about scavenging and decisionmaking in a scary but less linear environment.

oggyraiding

DLC for this is out tomorrow. New Mercenaries characters (Heisenberg and Lady Dimitrescu), 3rd person mode for the campaign, and a new story focused on Rose as a grown teenager in a spooky situation. Doesn't sound as fun as RE7's End Of Zoe DLC which is a shame, I loved punching the fuck out of zombos.

Glebe

Having completed the Nemesis remake I've been thinking of downloading this off the Xbox store as it's currently going cheap. I could never get into it playing on the PS2 'cos I found it too hard but could be worth another go.

bgmnts

It's definitely worth giving 4 another go.

Glebe

When I first played Resi 2 remake I thought 'Oh no, they've done it like RE4,' but then I got into it and it was fine.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: bgmnts on October 27, 2022, 04:12:05 PMIt's definitely worth giving 4 another go.

I'm gonna give it a go in March when the remake is out :)

Famous Mortimer

I hope I don't need my mate to come over and do some of the trickier bits so I can get 100% and the suit of armour and the tommy gun, mostly because he's spent the last decade drinking and lives 4000 miles away.

frajer

Great stuff, didn't realise the Village expansion pack was out tomorrow. I'm well up for it, I don't mind the first-person games but third-person Resi is where it's at for me.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 27, 2022, 09:43:58 PMI hope I don't need my mate to come over and do some of the trickier bits so I can get 100% and the suit of armour and the tommy gun, mostly because he's spent the last decade drinking and lives 4000 miles away.
I'll do it for you, honestly. Don't care where you live.

frajer

Picked up the expansion pack yesterday and I'm enjoying replaying the main game in third-person mode.

In 3rd person the opening limp through the misty woods felt very Silent Hill, which is a big plus for this old Playstation nerd. Was wavering over buying but I'm glad I did.

I'm intrigued by what I've read about the add-on Rose chapter, I'll probably get that cracked out tomorrow.

Dannyhood91

I'm enjoying the Rose DLC but it's fucking hard