Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A real dead ringer

Started by idunnosomename, April 20, 2021, 07:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on April 22, 2021, 08:07:01 AM
He only worked on those three singles from Floodland and Vision Thing as co-producer. Everything else on those albums was Eldritch's work.

This Corrosion was a Jim Steinman only production.

New Page Pedant.

iamcoop

My hat was fucked when I found out he co-produced Never Forget by Take That.

It'd be fascinating to hear his scrapped production work on Def Leppard's initial sessions for Hysteria that are reputedly a complete car-crash but Joe Elliot recently said he's never letting anyone hear it.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 22, 2021, 08:27:50 AM
Of course, that'll be it.

This thread has been enlightening, I had no idea that Meatloaf/Steinman were held in such affection and admiration. I shall snark no more.

I went on a school trip to Austria when I was 14. Two weeks on a coach, and the driver only had two cassettes to play - one was a recent Top 20 rundown taped off the radio, and the other was Bat Out Of Hell. Following complaints from some when the top 20 tape contained PiL's Flowers Of Romance ("A dreadful noise", "it's punk rock" etc etc ad fucking nauseam) it was decided that Bat Out Of Hell would be our soundtrack for almost the entirety of the trip (despite me and a mate buying a cassette each in a Vienna music shop as potential alternatives). Nearly forty years on and I still can't listen to it.

I have a certain amount of sympathy about your teenage trip to Austria as it can't have been easy hurtling along foreign roads listening to a nine minute opus that climaxes with an RTA. I trust you enlivened the boredom by flicking the Vs as you passed truck drivers?

As for the esteem Meat and Steinman are accorded on here, my view was that if you delve into a record collection and find the following albums
Bat out of hell
Dark side of the moon
Brothers in arms, and
Tubular Bells
You are most likely looking at someone who thought good music stopped around 1985

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 22, 2021, 02:27:24 PM
my view was that if you delve into a record collection and find the following albums
Bat out of hell
Dark side of the moon
Brothers in arms, and
Tubular Bells
You are most likely looking at someone who thought good music stopped around 1985

Absolute nonsense. I've got all four of those and 1989's Vivaldi's Four Seasons by Nigel Kennedy.

PaulTMA

Quote from: iamcoop on April 22, 2021, 11:23:08 AM
My hat was fucked when I found out he co-produced Never Forget by Take That.

Never knew that, explains why that intro is as daft as a brush

pupshaw

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on April 21, 2021, 11:48:56 PM
I noted the absence of any mention of Rundgren in the tributes, but I suppose most people reading news sites would be more interested in the main artists.[nb]Although Rundgren did sing a duet with Bonnie Tyler on an overblown Steinman song in the vein of Total Eclipse that was a minor hit (Loving You's A Dirty Job (But Somebody's Got To Do It))[/nb]
As you say, Rundgren underwrote the cost of the album himself. It's possible Steinman would have just continued in musical theatre otherwise.

Steinman himself was always effusive about Rundgren's importance - like when he talks about his motorcycle guitar solo on the title track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGeDn3teKUM

ETA: Similar video but this one has the actual isolated solo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thp8-MI7hyE

Yes, Steinman himself was forever in awe of Rundgren and he always made sure everybody's contribution was recognised.

I still love this quote
Quote"I can't imagine Steinman being in a car by the lake with the most beautiful girl in school, but I can imagine him imagining it.