Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,188
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139...

Started by C_Larence, April 21, 2021, 01:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

This comes out in a couple of days. I preordered it last night (something I haven't done for a game since the first CoD:Black Ops) and got a nice little Emil avatar. Worth the £50 just for that if you ask me.

As a huge fan of Automata, I've been deliberately not reading anything about this one as I've already played the (western released) PS3 version and don't want any of the new content to be spoiled for me. Here's a trailer, which I haven't watched.
https://youtu.be/sPcf4pfTqfY

Also yes, that's the real title of the game, not a snide comment on CaB megathreads

falafel

Having not played it on PS3, really can't wait. It didn't appeal at the time but after Automata I am prepared to lap this up. On the one hand, just want to play through and see how it colours everything that Automata did, but really intrigued to hear how it varies from the original. Hoping to leave this with my circuits fried and IQ a few points lower, ambition is to hit double digits by Q4 so the terrors of the world can just pass me by so if this does the trick it means a few less 'accidental' falls.

brat-sampson

This is top of my Next Things to Play list as soon as I clear a bit more of my backlog.

Automata was the best, and I've never played the original. I've also been avoiding the trailers for this, so ready to get psychologically blasted by Mr Taro once again while being serenaded by what is by many accounts a GOAT ost.

Timothy

Ordered it for 40 euros with an Amazon coupon. Arriving on Monday. Can't wait.

So, this thread died on its arse, but what do you guys think of the game? I've just more or less rinsed it, getting all five endings and most of the achievements (and the few I've missed I won't bother with), and it's definitely a good game, and I got approx. 50 hours of enjoyment out of it, so pretty good value for money even at full price. However, in my opinion it can't really compete with Auto, which does everything so much better, especially the story part, which I thought was pretty meh in Repli.

All in all, I give Repli 7/10, while Auto gets 9/10.

Character ranking:

1.   Kainé: A totally badass, foul-mouthed hussy that is funny to boot. I especially liked her many put-downs of Grimoire Weiss, like «Nice digs for a floating magazine» and «How about I rip your fucking pages out and stuff them up your ass» (from memory).

2.   Grimoire Weiss: A pompous floating book, sorry, grimoire. More funny lines than Kainé («You really should treat an omnipotent magical being with more respect»), but not as badass, hence second place for him.

3.   Your character: Bit of a cry-baby, and whines incessantly, so I was like, «Yeah, get in!», when Kainé first slapped him/me and then later beat the shit out of us for just whining too much. But at heart he's a nice guy, so not all bad.

4.   Emil: Extremely irritating as a boy, but quite a bit better as a skeleton with a beachball head, although you don't really notice him much throughout your journey. He's just there, slinging spells and making inane observations.

falafel

I have no personal life and no free time, so when I said "I can't wait" I meant "until I work myself to death".

C_Larence

I've also not had any time to play in the past week otherwise I'd have kept the thread more alive!

falafel

I can't decide from what I've seen so far whether it counts as essential if you're already an Automata fan, or just a 'nice th8ng'. Like, could you construe it as a decent bit of non-essential Automata DLC if you didn't know it was 10 years old, or is it better than that?

If you liked Auto, I'd say you'd like this too, although I wouldn't say it's essential. It's more of the same, but more janky and with a few annoying kinks (the boss fights are great, though). A couple of the characters from Auto turn up here, and you get some more background info on them, so that's nice. There are also some other references, but nothing mind-blowing.

It's definitely a good game, and deserves more than merely being considered an Automata DLC, but if you're on the fence, I wouldn't pay full price for it, but wait until it's on sale.

Zetetic

Having enjoyed Automata more than enough, I'm looking forward to playing this, but it probably won't be until 2025.

C_Larence

God the soundtrack is an all timer. I'm still relatively early into this and haven't been able to play more than an hour or so at a time, but most of that time is just spent in the village vibing to the music.

C_Larence

I'm midway through playthrough B now and it's quite amazing how much pathos and genuine emotion the game wrings out of what is essentially nonsense. Thematically I'm reminded of The Last Of Us 2, but filtered through the mind of someone who only appears in public dressed like this