Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Derek Chauvin guilty [split topic]

Started by mothman, April 20, 2021, 10:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

I did think right from the start that the defence's angle was incredibly dumb.

mothman

What was their defence, anyway? Community outreach? A pop-up Pilates class gone wrong?

steve98

Quote from: Amentet on April 20, 2021, 11:29:33 PM
I'm really sorry that you've suffered this level of toxic neural damage to your brain after sustained licking of polish from travelling back and forth to the US for your career of licking police officers boots. Beingacunt is a terrible syndrome to cope with.

What a ludicrous reaction to an entirely reasonable post.

imitationleather

Quote from: mothman on April 20, 2021, 11:39:08 PM
What was their defence, anyway? Community outreach? A pop-up Pilates class gone wrong?

He would have died anyway from a fentanyl overdose.

jobotic

Would there have been a guilty verdict without months of direct protest by BLM? Would there have been a trial?

Nothing wrong with what Maxine Waters said.

Remember in this country the government don't want protest to be legal and the opposition think police should have immunity for their crimes. And no I'm not saying that its as bad here as it is there before anyone starts.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: imitationleather on April 20, 2021, 11:40:47 PM

Luckily one of the cops back at the station would have had enough to OD him if he survived the choking thing and made it back to the cells at the station

druss

chveik

that's the tolerant left for you. absolute disgrace

Quote from: Thursday on April 20, 2021, 10:40:52 PM
Well I think it's good he's been convicted. I know there's a lot of CaB centrists lurking who'll think it's "toxic" or hateful, and aggressive to wish jail on someone, but I think he deserves it.

Not necessarily "centrist" to be deeply skeptical that the American criminal justice system and carceral state can represent any form of "justice" or be tied to a celebratory moment. I think there are fair criticisms of the liberal-left reaction to the Chauvin verdict both because 1- the lurking concepts of "accountability", personal responsibility, or criminal retribution are deeply reactionary strains that have taken over popular leftist discourse, and 2- the spectacle of a single trial loses the entire point of the underlying protest and is an excellent way for the powers that be to misdirect mass anger and confuse people so that they don't protest actual structural racism. Actually one could argue that the police in general are purposely designed to serve as lightning rods or scapegoats to misdirect public anger.

Chedney Honks

Who cares about all that fire up the chair and bake the guy's pate

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: druss on April 20, 2021, 11:20:54 PM
Sorry, but if Trump had said during a trial that if the wrong verdict was given then protesters have "..to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business." he would rightly be admonished.

It was a really stupid thing to say. Actually quite a Trump-like thing to say. Just because Trump consistently said stuff like that doesn't mean it's okay when Democrats do as well.

Thankfully the right verdict was given so it's moot, unless her words are used in an appeal as the judge seems to think they might be.

Yep, absolutely.

Dr Rock

Quote from: imitationleather on April 20, 2021, 11:40:47 PM

They should've used Dr Rock' infallible defence 'we thought we were in Inception'

Chedney Honks

He would have died anyway next time he met a cop

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 21, 2021, 05:31:25 AM
Who cares about all that fire up the chair and bake the guy's pate

I think pate should be raw. You can cook goose liver though.

Dr Rock

Thomas

Here's the footage of that shooting (graphic, of course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MGFoDIUbLo

In this case, the officer fires when the girl with the knife, Ma'Khia Bryant, runs toward the girl in the pink. It was Ma'Khia Bryant who rang the police in the first place, saying that some 'older kids' were attacking her (the guy at the right does kick a girl in the head just before the shooting).

JaDanketies

Quote from: Thomas on April 21, 2021, 09:51:50 AM
Here's the footage of that shooting (graphic, of course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MGFoDIUbLo

In this case, the officer fires when the girl with the knife, Ma'Khia Bryant, runs toward the girl in the pink. It was Ma'Khia Bryant who rang the police in the first place, saying that some 'older kids' were attacking her (the guy at the right does kick a girl in the head just before the shooting).

y'know sometimes people need to get shot. Perhaps this would get handled a different way in the UK / Europe but perhaps it would end up with someone getting killed. She was literally about to stab someone and there were violent people all over the place, making jumping in an even dumber decision. Sad that it ended that way for her. They probably leaked the footage deliberately to stem any media / public criticism.

druss

I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely a bit more of a grey area in this particular instance than simply "cop shoots black person due to racism".

Buelligan

Why do they carry tazers again?  Is it just to use as an excuse.  What happens if you don't aim at a vital organ?  What do police do in countries where they don't carry guns?  So many unanswered questions.

druss

Quote from: Buelligan on April 21, 2021, 10:52:44 AM
Why do they carry tazers again?  Is it just to use as an excuse.  What happens if you don't aim at a vital organ?  What do police do in countries where they don't carry guns?  So many unanswered questions.
I'm absolutely not saying that this is a good thing that happened. But if that was my sister seconds away from being stabbed in the neck, I'd be relieved that she wasn't the one dead.

Definitely don't see this as any kind of "revenge" for the Chauvin trial, particularly as it happened before the verdict. 

Buelligan

What I was saying was a general observation on the excuse for shooting a teenager dead.  I think those are fair questions.  The sort of questions I'd be asking whether or not my sister was the one that got shot.

I don't see it as revenge either, I see it as yet another example of how the police in America behave with guns.

JaDanketies

I don't think a tazer would be effective if someone was actually trying to stab someone. You could easily stab them while you fall.

I don't mean to say she deserved to get shot. But I think it was justifiable in this situation. There should be more training so they can figure out something to do in a situation like that, and less poverty so there are fewer situations like that, but you gotta play the hand you're dealt.

Buelligan

So what happens where the police don't carry guns? 

And how is stabbing someone (because you're falling after being shot with a tazer) more likely than stabbing someone (because you're falling after being shot with a gun)?  Perhaps they do training on that.

I don't mean to seem snippy but it's so easy to lean back in your desk chair and decide it's OK actually for the police to kill people.  Just forget about it.  It's not OK.  It really is not OK.  And if we're going to take the time to consider it, we need to think very very seriously about it.

JaDanketies

I'm not saying it's merely justifiable for the police to shoot someone in that situation. If someone is actively trying to stab another person - unless in self-defence against lethal force - it's justifiable for bystanders to shoot the knife-wielder. Just don't make a fight into a life-or-death situation.

Very easy for people to relax into their armchairs and say "hmm why not use a tazer?" and I remain open to being convinced that lethal force wasn't required in this instance. But probably would need an expert to be convinced.

steve98

Cop did a good job and should be rewarded. Good riddance to the knife-wielding scumball.

Kankurette

I'm not sure who in this thread is being sincere and who is being pointlessly edgy, so I'll just say that while I'm glad Chauvin has been punished, it feels like too little, too late.

phantom_power

That may be true to but I think it is also a bit churlish to deny a group of people the pleasure of a small victory, when so few occur. Not directed at you there, or even anyone in this thread but there has been a lot of tutting on Twitter over people celebrating this