Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bombay Bad Boy

Started by Chedney Honks, April 22, 2021, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Is there a list of these 86 local authorities anywhere?

BlodwynPig

Its more likely most LAs now

Cuellar

katzenjammer

Just been listening to the guardian podcast on the 'indian' variant. Seem to me the world is being incredibly complacent about this. Unless I misunderstood it a 40-50% increase in transmission would see a far bigger wave of hospitalizations in the UK than last year even taking the vaccination progress into account. Some people with one vaccination have already been hospitalized with it.

In Spain where I live this doesn't even seem to be on the radar. The country is to all intents and purposes completely open now and the vaccination program is a month or two behind the UK. Taking everything into account I'm starting to think we'll might see full lockdowns again in Europe in June/July. Shit.

BlodwynPig

What's sequencing capacity in Spain like?

katzenjammer

I don't know but I suspect not nearly as good as in the UK

edit:Found an article from January saying they sequence 2% of cases

bgmnts

Draconian action for Indian variant.

BlodwynPig

Its in our homes, its under our beds
Its with your gnomes, and in your heads

The Indian Variant: Stay alert, Stay Safe, Stay in Sheds

New PIF for middle England

BlodwynPig

hamfist

Barry Admin

Christ wept, one of the worst things I've ever read, I can't even get through it all https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57154564

bgmnts

Yeah.

That's not good is it?

JamesTC

The brother of one of the people who work for my team in India has died. I was amazed that he was even working today. Wanted to say something to him about it but didn't really know what to say.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2021, 02:58:32 PM
Yeah.

That's not good is it?

The word feasting was inappropriate. Ugh

idunnosomename

I didn't really understand that BBC article because it's not really very clear (surprise) why people are putting bodies in the river ("float" particularly confused me).

https://scroll.in/article/700489/why-did-100-decomposed-bodies-float-back-up-in-ganga

This from a few years ago makes it clearer. It's not normal, and a lot of it is to do with extreme poverty more than religious codes (that thing about snake bites is bonkers though). It's the sort of thing that Modi's nationalism turns a blind eye to even though it's incredibly dangerous to public health

BlodwynPig

I've told the story before, when I was collecting samples from the Yamuna river in Delhi, some boys offered to swim out (in pretty anoxic, sludgy water) and collect them for us - this is in the heart of Delhi, downstream of the sewage treatment works. They dove down under the water and came up with the samples and a few saris. They told us that the saris are what are left of the many bodies dotted downstream from 'popular' suicide spots. Sometimes they are lucky and find jewellery.

Fambo Number Mive

The Indian government's response to criticism includes "Sigh, if only people had better IQ"

https://twitter.com/BJP4India/status/1392758219978592259

No wonder Johnson likes Modi so much.

The replies to the BJP tweet are not impressed.

frajer

Yeah that reeks of the UK Gov's patronising shut-up-fuck-off stance.

"Did Boris say let the bodies pile high?"

"Sigh, yes he did, but bodies in a pile cannot have hurt feelings, a scientist said so."

Glebe

Just donated to GiveIndia, chose the oxygen appeal as that's obviously critical.

More about recommended charities here.