Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dyson texts lobbying controversy

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 22, 2021, 01:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

While the government are keen to avoid an inquiry into their shambolic handling of the pandemic, they've just announced  an internal inquiry into the leak of text messages between Johnson and Dyson over the supply of ventilators.

I doubt the Dyson lobbying row will damage Johnson that much, but it does add to the impression that there is one law for those with access to the PM and one law for everyone else.

Butchers Blind

Internal inquiry = we'll do fuck all about this.

Zetetic

British public grateful to see close relationships between wealth creators and their political rules, bringing the efficiency of the private sector into the heart of the civil service - the latter being a bureaucracy that has, we must remember, single-handedly simultaneously killed hundreds-of-thousands of people and attempted to strangle the British economy.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why are we trying to use vacuum cleaners as ventilators?

Thomas

QuoteFROM: Boris Johnson
TO: Dyson

thanks 4 the ventilators

can u also make me a hoover with a soft nice mouth that does suck offs

Zetetic

To be clear, there were no Dyson ventilators. The scam didn't extend as far as actually delivering anything.

Blinder Data

While I think billionaires texting the PM for favours is evidently a bad thing, and the blond manchild's lack of integrity and desperation to please is truly dangerous, I strongly suspect that the Great British Public's response to this issue is: "Leave our Boris alone, he was only trying to get some ventilators, do u want ppl to die FFS!"

jobotic

Kuennsberg is on fire here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56824869

QuoteLobbying can be absolutely legitimate. It's part of how Westminster lives and breathes. Who would object to a small charity approaching its local MP to ask for help?

Who would complain about the pub industry pushing the government for answers about when they can serve pints again inside after the year we've all had?

Who would begrudge health unions trying to persuade ministers that their staff members deserve a pay rise?

Who wouldn't see the logic of big business groups trying to make their arguments to decision makers at the top to help them thrive and prosper, when decisions made in SW1 affect millions of us, and billions of pounds?

Beautiful false equivalence.

But indicative of the fact that they will use this as an attempt to cut trade unions' ability to fight for their members even further. Why else is it in there?

idunnosomename

i know we all hate kuennsberg because we are lefty incel misogynists, but it's amazing how openly she kowtows to her government whatsapp messages, and also funny to see her trying to kowtow it when it's finally falling apart, because it's just a bunch of brexit stooges slapped onto the rump of decimated old party of cunts

jobotic

Peston seems quieter recently. Was he Cummings' man?

Blue Jam

EOLAN

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 22, 2021, 02:57:03 PM
Oh fuck off Justin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56846908

Of course the archbishop is clearly consistent as he was espousing such messages of forgiveness and kindness when so many leaders were vociferously piling in on Jeremy Corbyn.  And acknowledging what a tough job political leaders like Jeremy have these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/03/academic-quits-c-of-e-body-over-chief-rabbis-labour-antisemitism-comments

Or maybe not.

Blumf

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 22, 2021, 02:57:03 PM
Oh fuck off Justin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56846908

QuoteAnd he told host Nick Robinson "no 19th Century politician" would survive today's standards "for one week".

Victorian politicians, the gold standard for morality.

SpiderChrist

Fucking Christians. All the fucking same.

EOLAN

No 19th century politicians would survive today's standards.

Cue all the jokes about Jabob Rees-Mogg getting by fairly well. Although maybe he lacks the protestant work ethic that sees him glide by.

Dr Trouser

I've worked with a lot of Dyson engineers both here and in Singapore and I wouldn't let them design an ashtray let alone a piece of fucking medical equipment.

That whole ventilator challenge was a shambles and only really a vehicle for egos in the high value manufacturing catapult to position for knighthoods and obes.

Back on topic  - BJ and hoover man are both cunts

Jerzy Bondov

We got a Shark vacuum and it makes our old Dyson look like a total piece of shit. Makes half the noise and sucks up twice the filth. You can fuck off Sir James Dyson OM CBE RDI FRS FREng FCSD FIE you O.L.D. C.U.N.T

Fambo Number Mive

Aren't archbishops meant to keep out of party politics?

As others have mentioned, it seems entirely right that standards are higher than in the 19th century, a time where we had rotten boroughs, ballots that weren't secret and the horrors of the British Empire. Such a weird thing for Welby to say.

QuoteWarning against a "golden age myth" about the behaviour of politicians in the past, he added: "Let's not pretend that politicians are worse; if anything they're better."

I'm not sure that is true even by the standards of Welby's illogical argument - I'd call Harold Wilson, Tony Benn and Peter Shore better behaved than many of our current politicians, there was far les corruption in the 1960s and 1970s.

Also, the choice isn't between the venal lot now and expecting someone to be flawless. When you consider that the current lot have largely got away with their terrible response to the pandemic, I think standards of expectation of politicians are a lot lower than any time since the 1950s.

I also think that for many people, the standard they hold politicians to can depend on which politician they are talking about. Look at how people on the Right will furiously condemn Diane Abbott once drinking an small alcoholic drink on the tube (she may not even have looked at the ingredients before she bought it, the can looks easy to mistake for a soft drink)  but are happy for Johnson to waste millions of pounds of public money on a Garden Bridge that was never  built. Of course, many of those on the Right who criticise Abbott do so for racist reasons.

greenman

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 22, 2021, 02:09:13 PM
Why are we trying to use vacuum cleaners as ventilators?

Were going to have them managing our nukes next.

idunnosomename

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 22, 2021, 03:10:19 PM
Fucking Christians. All the fucking same.
welby is a particularly bad person by any standard imo. dont tar little old ladies going to matins with his shitty brush

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on April 22, 2021, 02:37:22 PM

I found out today that Cummings was a good man... a visionary. In a way I wouldn't be in my job if it wasn't for his faith in me (and other 'wackos'), I heard.

seepage

Got my first big break from a man driving a Ford Sierra Sapphire at 90mph down the A40 with Queen's Greatest Hits playing at top volume. Still doesn't make it right, though.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 22, 2021, 06:35:59 PM
welby is a particularly bad person by any standard imo. dont tar little old ladies going to matins with his shitty brush

My own experience with God-botherers on my wife's side of the family tells an entirely different story. Apologies to any elderly women.

bakabaka

Quote from: seepage on April 22, 2021, 07:39:18 PM
Got my first big break from a man driving a Ford Sierra Sapphire at 90mph down the A40 with Queen's Greatest Hits playing at top volume.
Arm, leg or spine?

bomb_dog

This will be an inquiry as to how not to be caught next time.

idunnosomename

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 22, 2021, 08:06:33 PM
My own experience with God-botherers on my wife's side of the family tells an entirely different story. Apologies to any elderly women.
i mean Welby is from the evangelist side of the CofE and also, the oil industry. he's a total fucking cunt.

i just dont think being religious makes you a cunt; just a lot of cunts cling on to religion.

idunnosomename

Quote from: jobotic on April 22, 2021, 02:37:22 PM

interesting point as he's just made this bonkers tweet

SpiderChrist

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 22, 2021, 11:07:38 PM
i mean Welby is from the evangelist side of the CofE and also, the oil industry. he's a total fucking cunt.

i just dont think being religious makes you a cunt; just a lot of cunts cling on to religion.

I know. I was in a bad mood. Apologies.

So after trying to pin everything on Cameron and hoping it will all go away, they're now pinning everything on Cummings and hoping it'll all go away?