Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another cookery thread (call that a spiraliser?!)

Started by TrenterPercenter, April 22, 2021, 05:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: mothman on May 14, 2021, 09:45:10 PM
This recipe interests me, but can someone please translate it from American Tosspot to something a normal person could follow??

Sorry, I gave up

Gurke and Hare

Apologies for posting something that might have been slightly outside your comfort zone. I'll try and avoid anything from funny foreign types in the future.

mothman

We're not dissing your recipe choice G&H, just the sheer mind-numbing ineptitude of the illiterate moron who wrote it.

Ferris

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 14, 2021, 06:06:58 PM
I made this black bean soup the other week. It was good, and I'd make it again.

Had something similar for lunch today.

Great minds.

Dex Sawash

Fr.Bigley

Patatas bravas prep ready for tonight, partner and I are doing midnight finishes and I'll be funked if I'm preparing dinner at that time. Ordinarily do prep well in advance for 3-4 meals but literally had no notice.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: mothman on May 15, 2021, 01:44:39 AM
We're not dissing your recipe choice G&H, just the sheer mind-numbing ineptitude of the illiterate moron who wrote it.

Can you explain which of the words in it you're having trouble with? I may be able to provide a single syllable alternative if that would help?

Kankurette

Quote from: mothman on May 14, 2021, 09:45:10 PM
This recipe interests me, but can someone please translate it from American Tosspot to something a normal person could follow??
Just read the bold bits.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on May 14, 2021, 03:24:28 PM
Made owt interesting lately, Trenter?

My kitchen now smells of herbs. I made a veggie version of a Whitsun recipe with cider, apples, lettuce, peas, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, Italian herb mix and protein chunks instead of pork. I also need to get a new bottle opener as I had to ask the bloke upstairs if I could borrow his. Don't fancy opening a bottle of Bulmers with my teeth.

Also made the Crank's carrot cake, which has desiccated coconut and olive oil in it. It is fit. And goes surprisingly well with caramel icing.

I've been ridiculously busy recently so I haven't really been cooking much; however my Syrian friend did show me how to make traditional Syrian Fūl Medames last week and it was incredible.  Delicately spiced fava beans mixed with yogurt; fresh chopped tomatoes  and a ton of parsley.  Had it with some pickles and fresh mint.  He showed me the trick of pressing a mint leaf into your bread before scooping up your beans.  It was really great and love all the fresh and sour flavours that come together.

Also just bought my other half a food mixer for her birthday; so will be making some bread, bagels and cakes going forward.

NattyDread 2

Wee barbeque tonight and did a Ramsey side - Flatbreads fried in olive oil. Top with thinly sliced fennel, crumbled feta, toasted fennel seeds and drizzle with pomegranate molasses. Not too shabby.

Pished doon as soon as the food hit the grill. Happy days!

mothman

Quote from: Kankurette on May 15, 2021, 11:48:31 AM
Just read the bold bits.

OK, let's try that.

some black beans
some cooking liquid
a nice big yellow onion
a couple of hot peppers of your choice
red bell pepper
two cloves of garlic
a lime
a 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
ground cumin
salt
black pepper
some cooking oil
scallions
cilantro

OK, that might work. Unless you want to get some idea of HOW MUCH of these things to add, in which case you'll have to read moron boy's life story. I mean, really, what is it with the fucking Yanks and recipes? And idiotchops is just so bad at writing. Check out this dunce:

Quote from:  ALBERT BURNEKO, I hope the cunt Googles himself regularlydump the cans in a colander and run them under a cold faucet to rinse off some of the beany can liquid

... might want to, I dunno, OPEN them first?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: mothman on May 15, 2021, 10:58:09 PM
:

... might want to, I dunno, OPEN them first?

No, the store (america)  has a big oaken bean barrel full of bean juice and beans and this barrel holds the cans of beans. Messy as fuck but them's the rules. It's the second rinsing after opening the can we aren't sure about with this recipe

mothman

AllisonSays

When I write recipes down I often use 'some' or 'a few' or whatever. You can tell how much you need by eye, no?

Kankurette

Apparently the reason why cooking blogs have really long stories or ramble on before the actual recipe is because of plagiarism and people stealing their recipes.

mothman

Which would make sense! Shame it doesn't seem to work - any time I search for a recipe I get loads of similar results...

weaseldust

should've called the thread 'cooked and nommed'

weaseldust

also can we change the forum name to 'the cook'd and bomb'd forum'?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Kankurette on May 16, 2021, 06:01:12 PM
Apparently the reason why cooking blogs have really long stories or ramble on before the actual recipe is because of plagiarism and people stealing their recipes.

Not exactly. It used to be that an easy way to generate content was to just scrape loads of recipes and just have a website with 500,000 recipes. Google decided that this type of content was rubbish, so started heavily penalising them for  Page ranking.

So the reason for those long rambling intro's to recipes is that google penalises website that only have easily copyable content, not to stop actual plagiarism - if you want to copy the recipe it's still pretty easy, and many recipe blogs use a standardised recipe form that would make automating the process pretty easy.

bgmnts

Couscous, mushrooms, spring greens, onions, garlic, sage, some vegan protein, thyme, sage, parsely and a decent quantity of Shiraz.

Not bad.

Fr.Bigley

Stoneage Dinosaurs

As an experiment I tried doing a toad in the hole but with seekh kebabs instead of sausages and a load of garam masala and paprika in the batter. Didn't actually turn out to be a disaster and was actually quite nice so I might try it again

seepage

My dad used to make something similar, with very herby sausages, curry powder and lots of mixed herbs (from a jar). Also lamb chops in the hole.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: seepage on May 21, 2021, 12:00:03 PM
My dad used to make something similar, with very herby sausages, curry powder and lots of mixed herbs (from a jar). Also lamb chops in the hole.

Lamb chops in the hole sounds like something from some hard-hitting US crime drama.

I've got the old man and nephew over tonight so I'm going to make them great big fuck off Shepards Pie with peas, carrots and leeks in the pie and broccoli and beans on the side.  That way I've got them both some serious veggies whilst they wolf down meat and gravy.  Obviously I have to be a complete arse about this so I'm making my own lamb stock for the gravy using both fresh and dried herbs plus some sherry in the mix there somewhere.

Fr.Bigley

Sounds banging trent. Props for the stock from scratch too! Should stick this in the phwooar thread.

mothman

I thought I'd got this recipe from this thread, but apparently not. It's our new obsession. We often do it using a butterflied leg: I put in on to marinade last night; tonight I'm going to lay it out in a dish, roast it (it also works on a barbecue), then we'll have it sliced in wraps as gyros while we watch Eurovision.

https://www.feastingathome.com/harissa-leg-of-lamb/

The Crumb

I'm getting semi proficient at making Chinese style dumplings. It's a really satisfying process once you get the hang of it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: The Crumb on May 23, 2021, 12:51:35 AM
I'm getting semi proficient at making Chinese style dumplings. It's a really satisfying process once you get the hang of it.

Jiaozi - It is satisfying isn't it get the radio on and sit there folding and crimping away - freeze really well also I've found.

bgmnts

Just some garlic, sweet paprika and fenugreek on mushrooms and had it in a sandwich.

Fucking mint, I will say.

mothman