Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:45:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another cookery thread (call that a spiraliser?!)

Started by TrenterPercenter, April 22, 2021, 05:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I made Fifteens for a Northern Irish friend's birthday. I'm a bit nervous as I've never done them before and the rolling-in-coconut bit was a bugger to pull off.

I'd like to try it for myself but not with marshmallows. Any Northern Irish posters recommend an alternative to marshmallows?

mothman

Now that we're four weeks into May and it's finally stopped raining, we can sit outside if an evening with a fire going. It's perfect weather for it - clear skies, but still chilly so we gave the fire plus we're not getting smoke in through our neighbours' windows because they're closed. And it means... s'mores!

Now, we have our particular way of doing them. The proper way involves something called Graham crackers, banned in the EU for being carcinogenic or something. Come to think of it, we'll probably now all be required to eat a packet a day as part of a trade deal with the US. So what we do is, we toast a marshmallow - and sandwich it between two Bahlsen Choco Leibnitz. It's fucking lush.

Dex Sawash

Wife is an aspiring gluten dodger so we're using chickpea pasta. It is fine, even in soups. Costs 3 times as much but that's still pretty cheap.

Kankurette

I thought graham crackers were digestives? Or similar, anyhow.

seepage

I think they are like quashed fly biscuits minus the flies.

TrenterPercenter

A couple of weeks ago I took delivery of a new bbq; this monstrosity (Super Pro Char-griller)...

That's 850 sq inches of cooking surface (it's much bigger IRL than in the picture) and it runs like a dream; assembled and seasoned it on sat and had a little bbq on it on Monday.  Which went very well indeed, as it has cast iron grates you do not need to cook directly over the coals as they hold all your heat (mean less burning more grilling and searing).  Proper red neck piece of kit but does a great job.

I think there are smaller versions for people who aren't idiots (or have balconies etc..) I think the key is the grates though.

seepage

I think Obama's favourite chef was famous for just barbequing stuff, so perhaps you're on to a winner. Later on you can join one of those competitive BBQ teams called e.g. 'Ribs For Her Pleasure'. 

Icehaven

Are pans mostly round just because it's a sod getting food out of the corners? It just seems square or oblong would otherwise be better.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I assume that is because the hob/stove is designed so heat radiates in an efficient way from a centre outwards, so is naturally circular.

Sebastian Cobb

One of my nans had a set of stackable steamers that were rhombus shaped.

TrenterPercenter

Made the national dish of Palestine tonight "Chicken Musakhan" with home made pittas. 

Recipe here for anyone interested https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/chicken-musakhan

mothman

Might have to try that. What chicken did you use? TIL that a "chicken supreme" actually refers to a skinless boneless chicken breast...

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: mothman on June 21, 2021, 12:41:41 AM
Might have to try that. What chicken did you use? TIL that a "chicken supreme" actually refers to a skinless boneless chicken breast...

Those are thighs, you want something with a bone really. Give it a go it was really nice.  I got myself a knife and fork but then ate it  as you are meant to with your hands (using the bread like you would a curry).

No chillies in it and not hot spicy in the slightest just really really tasty.

mothman

Right now we're a bit obsessed with gochujang.[nb]Which tried to autocorrect to Go China go...[/nb]

It's a not-too-spicy red pepper paste. We're trying it in all sorts of things. In a chile con carne, tonight.

Dex Sawash

Wife is at beach so going to have some chili crisp something or other[nb]prolly tofu[/nb] tonight so the house will have time to air out.

mothman

Dex Sawash

It is like burnt chili flake and burnt garlic bits in oil. Little crunchy bits. Really great on air fried stuff or outdoor grilled things except when you get it wrong and I haven't mastered it yet. Lao Gan Ma is the big name one, I think.
Ended up just having hot dogs from the microwave, cba.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 21, 2021, 10:24:48 PM
Wife is at beach so going to have some chili crisp something or other[nb]prolly tofu[/nb] tonight so the house will have time to air out.

This stuff is the nuts!

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: mothman on June 21, 2021, 07:32:58 PM
Right now we're a bit obsessed with gochujang.[nb]Which tried to autocorrect to Go China go...[/nb]

It's a not-too-spicy red pepper paste. We're trying it in all sorts of things. In a chile con carne, tonight.

Use it for its proper purpose..Kimchi mofo.