Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:27:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another cookery thread (call that a spiraliser?!)

Started by TrenterPercenter, April 22, 2021, 05:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

I made lasagne but ran out of lasagne sheets, onions, garlic and cheese so I added crisps (cheese n onion) some bread and some garlic mayonnaise and stuffed a fray Bentos in between...divorce lasagne..

Sebastian Cobb

Made a mexican 'lasagne' once using tortilla instead of lasagne and soured cream instead of bechemel. It was great.

I think I might've even used stag tinned chilli.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

mothman

I once did a slow-cooked pulled pork using Chinese five spice as the dominant seasoning, then ate it in wraps with cucumber, spring onions and Hoisin sauce - like crispy aromatic duck.  Definitely worked.

touchingcloth

Probably the thing I make regularly which most makes me think FUCK'S SAKE WHY DON'T I CHAIN EAT THIS FROM DAWN TO DUSK is prawns fried up in a TON of chili, garlic and olive oil and then tossed with spaghetti. I think if I had an infinite portion of it I could just plough through it forever.

Ferris

Prawns are fucking mank, that's why you lunatic.

Happy to have helped.

mothman

Shush. I'm not that fond of prawns and even I'd eat that.

Fr.Bigley

Prawns are great, sure I wouldn't dream of finding myself in Whitby on a fine spring day without my potted shrimp on brown bread. Ya cunts.

TrenterPercenter

Can I just make clear I am very much in favour of these food adaptations and fondly approve of them all.

On the five spice pulled pork; yep 100% winner; it's also incredibly easy (just a lot of chopping) to do the whole Yuk Sung thing and works really well on a pure veggie level.  You can also do salt, chilli, pepper and five spice on wedges bang em in the oven then eat them in wraps with a bit of salad and hoisin works a treat.

Fr.Bigley

TrenterPercenter

Another thing; houmous or hummus.  Piss easy to make and about a 10th of the price.  Just a can of chickpeas, some garlic (not too much), tahini, oil and lemon juice.  Then got nuts adding whatever you like really.  The secret is to whip the tahini and the lemon juice first as they react together to make everything creamy and lovely.

Once you got it sussed that you can make a bucket load for the same price as a piddly little pot you won't look back.

Fr.Bigley

I like hummus, so I'll do what you suggested and add a Fray Bentos. We might own the IP on that by the end of the week, forewarned.

TrenterPercenter

Also on a tahini vibe; I would also reccomend making tahini sauce rather than just hummus it is great in sandwiches and on salads etc... It's basically hummus without the chickpeas (nummus?).  Anyway once you got that down then I can recommend making Sabich; which is great definitely no set recipes here but serious eats has a good one

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/sabich-sandwich-eggplant-egg-hummus-pita-recipe.html

Again a load of these can literally be put together for a couple of quid (if you see the tahini as an investment).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on April 30, 2021, 06:35:26 PM
I like hummus, so I'll do what you suggested and add a Fray Bentos. We might own the IP on that by the end of the week, forewarned.

I used to go to school with a lad whose mum and dad were mega eco-conscious hippies (and if truth be told a bit weird); whenever you went around for dinner at theirs you got your beanslop or whatever it was in a Fray Bentos tin recycled as a plate/bowl; which you then duly and independently washed up before going to bed at 7pm (I didn't I always made an excuse and went home - sleeping whilst it blazingly bright outside is just weird). 

Anyway I always used to wonder about the first time they acquired their Fray Bentos "plates"; did they commit the ultimate sin and buy a mass produced meat pie (with a dubious animal welfare record) as future investment in plates or did they fish them out of skip (probably the latter) I'll never know.  Actually come to think about it now after you washed up your tin the first time you got some angel delight in it (well I presume it was) which is a bit sus; maybe they were actually just cunts that ate a lot Fray Bentos pies but never shared them or any normal plates with the kids (hmmm would make a lot of sense).

steve98

You do get veggie Fray Bentos pies (I just learned this), and most delicious they look too.

mothman

MrsMoth got one of those bullet blenders, that makes a mean hummus. Houmous? I really don't know which I prefer. Anyway, dry fry 500g lamb mince. Then, DRAIN it - it is 20% fat, this is essential. Meanwhile use the pan to lightly toast some pine nuts. Then add back the drained lamb, maybe some chopped onion (optional; also no garlic, plenty in the hummus already), and paprika. Fry until the lamb turns a bit crispy. Place the houmous in a mound in the middle of a plate, dust with paprika, then arrange the lamb all round it and, as Jamie Oliver would say, "go in" with flatbreads, or pittas, or even tortillas to scoop up and eat.

Quote from: mothman on April 30, 2021, 07:25:00 PM
MrsMoth got one of those bullet blenders, that makes a mean hummus. Houmous? I really don't know which I prefer. Anyway, dry fry 500g lamb mince. Then, DRAIN it - it is 20% fat, this is essential. Meanwhile use the pan to lightly toast some pine nuts. Then add back the drained lamb, maybe some chopped onion (optional; also no garlic, plenty in the hummus already), and paprika. Fry until the lamb turns a bit crispy. Place the houmous in a mound in the middle of a plate, dust with paprika, then arrange the lamb all round it and, as Jamie Oliver would say, "go in" with flatbreads, or pittas, or even tortillas to scoop up and eat.

Just posting to say that I too endorse dry frying and draining of minced lamb (and beef unless it's the 5% fat type, and pork to a lesser extent) but then I also drain the fat into a cup and cool it down in the fridge. After a while I lift off the solidified fat and there's usually a decent amount of stock/jelly that I don't like to waste and can add back into the meat. But you probably do that anyway.

mothman

Interesting. No, I'd not considered that. I was pondering ways to remove the moisture to determine how much fat there actually is. Because I always drain it into a bowl and weigh it - and 500g always yield more at least 100g liquid.

I've always done it and add the stock back to dishes like chilli, keema, etc. but I don't know much flavour you'd really loose by chucking it. I just don't like waste and have always figured I might as well use it rather than bin it. Also, I'm a skinflint.

mothman

At the end of the day it's just fat and we don't have lamb very often at all. So it'd just sit in the fridge or freezer anyway. Like we stopped making stick from every chicken carcass because we just never used it.

Cuellar

Quote from: mothman on April 29, 2021, 10:32:11 PM
I made a Thai pork mince dish tonight but had no curry paste so added chipotle paste instead. Fusion, baby!

I might do this sort of thing with my Textured Vegetable Protein, we have some Thai basil growing. Love authentic Thai food.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuellar on April 30, 2021, 09:23:36 PM
I might do this sort of thing with my Textured Vegetable Protein, we have some Thai basil growing. Love authentic Thai food.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: mothman on April 30, 2021, 09:14:58 PM
At the end of the day it's just fat and we don't have lamb very often at all. So it'd just sit in the fridge or freezer anyway. Like we stopped making stick from every chicken carcass because we just never used it.

A lot of it will be water depending on the mince.  If you concentrate it down a bit then you can use it on roast potatoes (or roast anything really you want to taste of lamb).

mothman

Kankurette

Made owt interesting lately, Trenter?

My kitchen now smells of herbs. I made a veggie version of a Whitsun recipe with cider, apples, lettuce, peas, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, Italian herb mix and protein chunks instead of pork. I also need to get a new bottle opener as I had to ask the bloke upstairs if I could borrow his. Don't fancy opening a bottle of Bulmers with my teeth.

Also made the Crank's carrot cake, which has desiccated coconut and olive oil in it. It is fit. And goes surprisingly well with caramel icing.

bgmnts

Read an article today where some chef - I think Hussain - was going on about using banana peel to cook up in a frying pan with some onions and garlic for a bit of pulled pork/chicken thing going on. I must say that intrigues me.

Gurke and Hare

I made this black bean soup the other week. It was good, and I'd make it again.

It's bean soup.

I don't care what it's been, what is it now?

(Sorry, Friday afternoon. Demob happy)

mothman

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 14, 2021, 06:06:58 PM
I made this black bean soup the other week. It was good, and I'd make it again.

This recipe interests me, but can someone please translate it from American Tosspot to something a normal person could follow??