Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Judas And The Black Messiah (2021)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 22, 2021, 09:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

True life story about the Black Panther chairman Fred Hampton (Daniel Kaluuya) and William O'Neal (Lakeith Stanfield),
Spoiler alert
the informant who betrayed and possibly poisoned him
[close]
. It's a powerful story, stunningly acted, but fairly bleak and depressing as it shows just how demented and depraved many in authority were. It's a bit odd that the lead characters are played by actors who are 29 and 31 when the characters in real life were 21 and 17, as the fact that O'Neal was so young makes the way he was controlled by the FBI agent (Jesse Plemmons, once again proving to be sublime at portraying an absolute cunt) a little more understandable, and I'd be interested in why the director made that choice, but other than that it's a gripping film and a fascinating insight in to a very complicated and unpleasant time. 8.0/10

SteveDave

When I found out how young both lead "characters" were I was shocked. I presume actors so much older were chosen because of their acting chops?

I still don't understand why they've both been nominated for best supporting actor at the Oscars(tm) rather than have them both be in the best actor category.

Ignatius_S

IIRC, quite a few of the characters were played by actors that were a decade of nearly older than the person in real-life. Although it's standard practice in Hollywood, my first reaction was that with this story something would lost no matter how good the actors are. Dug out an article that I found interesting - https://mashable.com/article/judas-and-the-black-messiah-casting-age-activism

Anyway, great to hear more about the film as one I want to see.