Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Comedy Podcast Rotation 2021

Started by dr_christian_troy, April 23, 2021, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

What is on everyone's comedy podcast listening rotation at the moment?

My current episode playlist rotation is:

Stop Podcasting Yourself
Canadian comedy and interview podcast, hosted by Graham Clark and Dave Shumka.

Doughboys
Food chain reviews with Nick Wiger and Mike Mitchell.

The Sloppy Boys
Mike Hanford, Jeff Dutton and Tim Kalpakis from The Birthday Boys drink cocktails.

Hollywood Handbook
Hayes Davenport and Sean Clements host. I have trouble describing this but it's marvellous.

Podcast: The Ride
Mike Carlson, Jason Sheridan and Scott Gairdner deep dive into everything associated with theme parks and park rides.

High & Mighty
Jon Gabrus explores a different topic with a different guest (or few) each episode.

How Did This Get Played?
Heather Anne Campbell and Nick Wiger investigate the weirdest and worst video games.

Double Threat
Tom Scharpling and Julie Klausner. Enough said.

Then I'm dipping into various Patreon episodes from New Jersey Is The World, Doughboys, ActionBoyz, Podcast: The Ride, With Gourley And Rust, You're The Man Now Dog, Screen Drafts, Blank Check and Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Collosal Podcast.

In some instances the topic isn't necessarily comedy, but comedians are involved. Anyways, looking forward to some recommendations. Thanks in advance.

beanheadmcginty

Have you listened to Bonanas For Bonanza? From that list I imagine you have, but just in case you haven't I highly recommend.

bgmnts

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast still get's a listen every now and then.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 23, 2021, 01:14:07 PM
Have you listened to Bonanas For Bonanza? From that list I imagine you have, but just in case you haven't I highly recommend.

It's excellent! It would be in my rotation if it was ongoing, 100%. I heard a rumour that it will return though, so when it does it'll be back on there for sure. I even ended up buying Bonanza Season 1 on DVD to watch along properly, which in itself became a bonding experience for my Dad and I. He had memories of watching Bonzana and George Reeves-era Superman while having breakfast as a child, so next time he visits we'll be re-enacting that.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: bgmnts on April 23, 2021, 01:23:37 PM
Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast still get's a listen every now and then.

I'm interested to investigate. Having re-started an old podcast of my own and struggling to get guests for certain episodes, I'm interested to see how a one-person format can work when done well.

bgmnts

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on April 23, 2021, 01:31:37 PM
I'm interested to investigate. Having re-started an old podcast of my own and struggling to get guests for certain episodes, I'm interested to see how a one-person format can work when done well.

I mean, Bill Burr can talk for hours just by himself and it still be funny. His attitudes to women etc are a bit dodgy but he can be very fucking funny. Think he's been doing a podcast almost 15 years!

He does spend a bit of time answering email questions/advice though, and sometimes he gets his wife on.

neveragain

Could you recommend any podcasts which are just straight-out comedy? Character stuff, maybe sketches? (I've not heard of there being anything close to sitcom, the nearest I can think being Partridge's brilliant From The Oasthouse) Instead of just people chatting amusingly. Or is that not how these things work?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: neveragain on April 23, 2021, 02:21:57 PM
Could you recommend any podcasts which are just straight-out comedy? Character stuff, maybe sketches? (I've not heard of there being anything close to sitcom, the nearest I can think being Partridge's brilliant From The Oasthouse) Instead of just people chatting amusingly. Or is that not how these things work?

I adore Big Grande's The Teacher's Lounge. Worth listening to from the very beginning - it evolves beautifully.

neveragain

Joe Oakes

Quote from: neveragain on April 23, 2021, 02:21:57 PM

Brian & Roger.

It's excellent, similar tone to Marion & Geoff.

SteveDave

Mine are

Whaddyatalkinabow?

Steve Walker and Dennis Beeman shout at each other about what happened in the previous weeks Nova Scotia news.

Farscapin'

Wesley Andover and Chriss Three shout at each other about every episode of Farscape in minute detail.

Ringo-Go-Go

Alec Stewart and Mike Gotheroe (who once worked at the Record Plant recording studio) shout at each other about Ringo Starr's solo catalogue.

Thank You For The Days

Mike Wozinciniznachaz and Ian Iain-achimoe shout at each other about the days of the week.

Wrestle Me!

Marc Haynes is a wrestling super-fan and historian, Pete Donaldson has never seen a match in his life. They go through the Wrestlemania shows in order and we all learn a little something along the way about the grottiest form of entertainment in the world. Start at the beginning with this one.

mr. logic

Quote from: Joe Oakes on April 23, 2021, 02:49:46 PM
Brian & Roger.

It's excellent, similar tone to Marion & Geoff.

Second this. It's very close to being my favourite ever all time comedy thing.

neveragain

Ooh. I've been a-Googlin', it sounds very promising. Ta.

Brian Freeze

Would The Beef and Dairy Network tick those boxes too?

Chriddof

I found the idea of that video game podcast interesting, but most of the choices are either not that weird or not really bad. There's also loads of very well known stuff instead of the outright kusoge I had in mind. I tried listening to the one about Untitled Goose Game but the US podcasting style drove me mental.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Chriddof on April 23, 2021, 07:46:03 PM
I found the idea of that video game podcast interesting, but most of the choices are either not that weird or not really bad. There's also loads of very well known stuff instead of the outright kusoge I had in mind. I tried listening to the one about Untitled Goose Game but the US podcasting style drove me mental.

I ended up getting into HDTGP mainly due to being a fan of Nick Wiger from Doughboys. I agree though, I would like to hear someone - anyone - talk about Harvester, a unique, dark and grubby click and play from 1996.

cincoveces05

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 23, 2021, 03:28:54 PM
Wrestle Me!

Marc Haynes is a wrestling super-fan and historian, Pete Donaldson has never seen a match in his life. They go through the Wrestlemania shows in order and we all learn a little something along the way about the grottiest form of entertainment in the world. Start at the beginning with this one.

I genuinely love Wrestleme, nothing in any medium has made me laugh more over the last few years.  It's the only (Pat) Patreon i'm a member of as well.  Glad to see another fan on here.

Bahamadia

Mine are very American and Earwolf right now, which is unusual for me.

Threedom
Lauren Lapkus, Paul F Tompkins and Scott Aukerman discuss whatever is on their minds, and then place some improv games at the end of episodes, called 'Threatures.' As with any improvised chat, parts can be a bit patchy, particularly when they discuss American reality TV as I have never watched reality TV shows so a lot goes over my head/am not interested, but I find them all charming, so I like it.

Stay F. Homekins
Paul F. Tompkins and Janie Haddad-Tompkins are stuck in lockdown in LA together, and have a weekly chat that will generally mention the pandemic, politics, and reminiscing. I find Janie very, very funny and is a highlight of this podcast, but she is very much a Clinton Democrat so some people might get too annoyed at her politics if they are in a bad mood. But I love their rapport, particularly when they do not understand one another and are befuddled by one another.

Dodds Incarcerated
This is available only on Ian Boldsworth's or Barry Dodd's patreon. It is on hiatus but there are a lot of episodes and I really recommend it. The premise is that the Covid lockdown didn't happen, rather Barry Dodds' trial and conviction has caused a nation wide lockdown, and Ian is now talking to him via telephone in prison trying to help him with his case. It is very silly, has a lot of diversions, and I love them very much.

Ideas Man
This is available only on Ian and Barry's respective patreons again. It is a current podcast, weekly, and the premise is that Ian is a top TV commissioning editor and Barry is pitching him TV shows. Again, great diversions and very funny and gentle in premise.

A lot of podcasts I have been listening to are on hiatus/have randomly stopped so definitely am interested in more stuff. On a break from podcasts like How Did This Get Made due to diminishing returns I guess.

Officer Hours Live

Comfort show with Tim Heidecker, Vic Berger and DJ Douggpound goofin around and talking to people.

Ross Purdy Destroys Comedy

Australian comedy interview show that is often absurd and goes off the rails.

Hollywood Handbook

What started as a parody of self-important Hollywood types is now a kind of parody of podcasts.

evilcommiedictator

Champagne Comedy Podcast

Australians talk about Working Dog's The Late Show from 1990-91, every episode in probably far too much detail. Good if you've actually seen it.

Eat The Rich

Americans talking about rich people the outrageous shit they get up to, kinda comedy but also politics

BBC's Friday Night Comedy

Yes, I know, ban me for this, but since I live Down Under, I don't get to see the actual good stuff. Usually sleep through when The Now Show is on rotation.

Harry Shearer's Le Show

Everyone's favourite Simpson's voice goes through the week in the world, with varying levels of actual laughs, particularly the songs, which he can't do well at all.

The Alexi Sayle Podcast

We've been talking about this here in fact.

The Bugle

Look, I like puns. I know you all can't stand the posh accent thing, but last week he has Chris Addison on, and, oh, I see, right, banned.

The Comedian's Comedian Podcast with Stuart Goldsmith

This is good when there's someone I know about on, talking about their craft, quite a good listen.

Tony Martin's Sizzletown

Australia knocks again, if you're a fan of Tony Martin's work and voices, well, it's more of that. Probably mostly baffling

Trashfuture

Tech-based podcast with politics and current affairs jokes, I think it must be mandatory for each host to also have three other tedious podcasts on the side as well

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 23, 2021, 03:28:54 PM
Wrestle Me!

Does it make much/any difference whether you've watched the shows or not?

beanheadmcginty

I've never watched Twitch streams before, but the Doughboys have started doing it and yesterday I watched them play some shit looking 2 player co-op computer game together and it was a very pleasant way to pass 2 hours of my not very precious time. I've realised that Mitch looks just like Gene Hackman when he smiles.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 24, 2021, 02:39:16 PM
I've never watched Twitch streams before, but the Doughboys have started doing it and yesterday I watched them play some shit looking 2 player co-op computer game together and it was a very pleasant way to pass 2 hours of my not very precious time. I've realised that Mitch looks just like Gene Hackman when he smiles.

I started a Livestream thread with reference to their stream and I totally agree, it's an absolute joy. I'm GrimWord on there if you pop up on their next stream, say hello!

WestHill

Agree with Brian and Roger. Beautiful stuff.

Also Tiredness Kills.

DrGreggles

Quote from: WestHill on April 25, 2021, 09:09:08 AM
Tiredness Kills.

YES! I love 'The Sausage'!
Balls out silliness, with sinister and disgusting bits chucked in.

Most of my faves are the ones I'm a Patreon supporter of:
The various Ian Boldsworth/Barry Dodds pods
Chart Music
Crime In Sports
Brian Gittins & Friends
Don't Let's Chart
Pappy's
Do The Right Thing

TheMonk

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 23, 2021, 06:48:42 PM
Would The Beef and Dairy Network tick those boxes too?
Does this get good? A friend sent me a link to episode one and I found it laborious and had to work hard not to turn it off.

Ornlu

With my absolute favourite Office Hours Live already having been mentioned:

- The whole Chapo Trap House / TrueAnon / Red Scare / You Can't Win set are all fantastic, and the first two can have me in stitches frequently.

- I don't think anyone's listed Cum Town yet - come on, man. It pushes me to some absolute comedic extremes with alarming regularity. It's not for everyone, whatever. And it's on Spotify now!

- The Tim Dillon Show - The only guy to rival Burr's one-man-helmed approach, who honestly is regularly more entertaining imo. Politics, Tech, celebrity culture, crypto and whatever else, with a range of interesting guests from all over the spectrum. His showy gay centrist blowhard persona I find absolutely riveting, and I'm so happy his star is properly rising.

- The Poundcast - Office Hours' DJ Douggpound and comedian friend Brent Weinbach shoot the shit. Two very funny dudes having some cosy, laid-back comedy chat. ("Imagine the torus of a... bowling ball")

- JAR Media - Skewing a little younger, it's a group of British lads helmed by the Youtuber I Hate Everything, who have some hilarious conversations about music, movies, gaming, internet culture, and wider stuff as a whole. No football or anything like that. Can be a bit lore-heavy at times, but it only makes it more rewarding imo.

- Time For My Stories - Chapo's Felix & Matt go over iconic American TV series since the creation of the medium to dissect how they've impacted the country's entertainment landscape and wider culture as a whole. Fascinating topics with two naturally funny people. (I think it's only available on Stitcher Premium, but, you know. You can still find them.)

- Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend - Conan (and two comedy underlings) has some warm chats with friends old and new. Makes what is pure reminiscing actually engaging.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: TheMonk on April 25, 2021, 09:35:23 AM
Does this get good? A friend sent me a link to episode one and I found it laborious and had to work hard not to turn it off.

It's one of those pods that takes a while to get going with it's characters and world building. Try one of the ones with Mike Bubbins as Eli Roberts, he's always good value on there. I really liked the build up to the Slash Beef stuff too, lovely and silly. But yeah, those early eps can be a bit slow.

Angelos and Barry don't seem to get that much love on here. They sometimes go missing got a while, but all the ones the last six months or so have been really good. I've particularly enjoyed the introduction of Paul Burrell and the assorted shit in his loft.