Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Local elections and PCC elections 2021 thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 23, 2021, 02:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Anyone else had their postal vote already?

Fash party For Britain standing where I am. If you live in Oxfordshire or anywhere else they are standing, please make sure you vote to ensure they don't get in.

idunnosomename

police and crime commissioner here. cigs mate

Paul Calf

Stand for it and get 10 mates to vote for you. You'd probably win.

Voting Green for PCC because our candidate has actual experience dealing with antisocial behaviour at the coalface of a housing association and, unlike most of the other candidates for Dorset, actually bothered to check her markup before submitting her statement to the PCC elections website. If you don't understand that every <b> needs a </b> to terminate it, you clearly can't be trusted with public money.

Alas, it's likely a slamdunk for the Tory who's running on a campaign of turning the police service back into a police force.

Kankurette

I'm voting for Burnham. We've got English Democrats, an anti-lockdown independent candidate AND Reform UK standing here, hopefully that'll split the far right vote. The Green Party candidate is the furthest to the left.

bakabaka

Seeing as the Tories are paying me £500 it seems only polite to vote for them.[nb]For more info:https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,79369.html towards the bottom of the page. I have no idea how to link to a specific post.[/nb]

pigamus

Pink Gregory

Green for PCC (no other choice really)
TUSC for anything else.

After that stitch up with the Bristol West NEC vote I'm not touching that phoney red fucking party.

Fambo Number Mive

My local Labour party seem to be pretty good (and I don't live in the ward where Akhurst is standing) so voted Labour and TUSC.

No Green standing for PCC and I also wanted to vote Labour to keep fascist party For Britain Movement out.

BlodwynPig

Going for Independent without checking the candidate's history. Pot luck better than voting Labour.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Got my postal ballot.

Voted Greens for my ward. There was a HARD LEFT candidate but the Greens have come 2nd a few times (miles behind, but the candidate seems a good egg, actual scientist not a woo woo anti masker). It seems pretty reasonable to be voting Green when they are the main opposition (in this case to Labour but fuck Kieth).

I also read the notice board in the area where the minutes of the last council meeting were pinned up. It is grimly insignificant stuff.

Also voted 1. Greens and 2. Labour in the West Yorkshire Mayoral election because those were the only options that weren't absolute space aids

jobotic

Only PCC here and only Labour, Tory (shoe in) and Lib Dem. Was going to bin it off but Labour candidate is on Trades Council and it'd be good to have a black woman PCC, but she's, you know, fucking Labour and the behaviour of some of their local councillors recently is awful.

Will see if I can be arsed to walk to the end of the road on the day.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just vote for the least worst even if it's arse cancer

Buelligan

No, don't vote for the least worst.  An endorsement's an endorsement.  Vote for someone you believe in or don't vote, spoil your vote, speak out about it.  If there were only grades of fascist standing, would it be right to vote for the least worst?  No.  No, it would not.

bakabaka

Buelligan, as CaB's moral arbiter, is it okay to vote for the one that pays us most?

king_tubby

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2021, 07:06:09 PM
Got my postal ballot.

Voted Greens for my ward. There was a HARD LEFT candidate but the Greens have come 2nd a few times (miles behind, but the candidate seems a good egg, actual scientist not a woo woo anti masker). It seems pretty reasonable to be voting Green when they are the main opposition (in this case to Labour but fuck Kieth).

I also read the notice board in the area where the minutes of the last council meeting were pinned up. It is grimly insignificant stuff.

Also voted 1. Greens and 2. Labour in the West Yorkshire Mayoral election because those were the only options that weren't absolute space aids

I've not been able to find out if the Green is GC or not. I wasn't going to vote Labour but she's been really good on a couple of things this week that matter locally, so I may have to wind my neck in. Gonna vote YORKSHIRE in the Mayorals cos there's no NIP standing.

buttgammon

Already voted by post in the PCC and Senedd elections. It was a mix of Plaid and Labour for me.

MoreauVasz

Didn't want to give Labour any votes so looked into the libdem candidate for cop-wrangler and he was all 'Gonna get rid of the druuuuuugs' and I thought a) aren't the libdems still nominally pro-legalisation? b) are there really that many people still worried about drugs, and c) I like drugs so go fuck yourself.

chveik

i know labour is bad now but considering to vote for the lib dems? have some self-respect!

Buelligan

I wouldn't vote for the LDs - but wouldn't vote for Labour either at the moment.  There really ought to be the option of a vote for NONE OF THESE CUNTS but, for obvious reasons, the politicians would never let that happen.

Kankurette

pigamus

Only two out of my three had Greens so I voted Lib Dem on the other one - shouldn't have done really but I couldn't be bothered finding out who the independents were.

Kelvin

Quote from: Buelligan on April 23, 2021, 08:40:26 PM
No, don't vote for the least worst.  An endorsement's an endorsement.  Vote for someone you believe in or don't vote, spoil your vote, speak out about it.  If there were only grades of fascist standing, would it be right to vote for the least worst?  No.  No, it would not.

I strongly disagree. We want Labour to specifically see that the left vote has gone elsewhere. That's much more clearly achieved by people voting for left wing parties, even if they dont feel passionately about them. Green or NIP, basically. A spoiled ballot or non-vote doesn't tell them anything about WHY you're dissatisfied. A symbolic vote fot a left wing party does.

Consignia

There's strange independent candidate standing for Manchester Mayor by way of one Alec Marvel, https://twitter.com/AlecMarvel4. He appears to have gotten lost from Insta and ended up signing himself up for political office. Difficult to say what he stands for, most of his twitter is him and retweets from his sister slagging of Andy Burnham. Which is possibly fair, but they seem more concerned he's a scouser than anything he's actually done or failed to have done such as GMP being a shit show.

Apparently Alec does want to test covid vaccines on child abusers, according to https://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=6267, but I can't find much around that in his literature.

Sebastian Cobb

This might sound daft but what do non-london mayors actually do these days?

It used to be a fairly ceremonial position with no actual power but I think that's changed but I don't know how.

Zetetic

Manchester's a particularly special-case, I believe, being the first of England's combined authorities.

(Like every instance of devolution from Westminster, it's basically fucked by its financial situation and is an exercise in abandoning responsibility more than permitting someone else to hold power, but still.)

In a better world, it'd be the base from which Labour in England would launch an assault on the UK Government's centralism.

jobotic

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2021, 02:37:51 PM
I strongly disagree. We want Labour to specifically see that the left vote has gone elsewhere. That's much more clearly achieved by people voting for left wing parties, even if they dont feel passionately about them. Green or NIP, basically. A spoiled ballot or non-vote doesn't tell them anything about WHY you're dissatisfied. A symbolic vote fot a left wing party does.

I agree and if I could I would. But its LIBLABCON only