Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Local elections and PCC elections 2021 thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 23, 2021, 02:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: jobotic on April 24, 2021, 02:46:32 PM
I agree and if I could I would. But its LIBLABCON only

Well, if those are the only options, I'd agree with Buellers. I wouldnt vote for any of those cunts

Zetetic

I wouldn't worry that much about PCC votes sending the wrong party political message, to be honest, because 1) no one gives a shit and 2) they'll be seized on or ignore depending on how much the tens of votes involved confirms the message that outlets want to push anyway.

So, yes - vote the person who'll do least damage in that role unless you think they're all abhorrent.

Zetetic

Increasingly voting for Jenny Rathbone (Labour) in Senedd constituency just because of how much she upsets Gething (Labour, our Health Minister).

Buelligan

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2021, 02:37:51 PM
I strongly disagree. We want Labour to specifically see that the left vote has gone elsewhere. That's much more clearly achieved by people voting for left wing parties, even if they dont feel passionately about them. Green or NIP, basically. A spoiled ballot or non-vote doesn't tell them anything about WHY you're dissatisfied. A symbolic vote fot a left wing party does.

Obviously, I don't count Green or NIP as parties that are least worst.  I count them as best, I should have been clearer but I was talking in the context of someone saying they'd considered voting LibDem and where the choice is confined to LDs, tories and Rewhatevs.

ETA I wouldn't vote Labour in this election, not for anything.

Kelvin

Quote from: Buelligan on April 24, 2021, 03:48:20 PM
Obviously, I don't count Green or NIP as parties that are least worst.  I count them as best, I should have been clearer but I was talking in the context of someone saying they'd considered voting LibDem and where the choice is confined to LDs, tories and Rewhatevs.

ETA I wouldn't vote Labour in this election, not for anything.

Ah. sorry. Then we are, of course, in perfect agreement  :)

EDIT: Probably my own bias creeping through, as I still remain pissed off with the Greens for 2019, and I'm sceptical of NIP's long term agenda. So to me they are (sort of) "least worst".

Kankurette

Quote from: Consignia on April 24, 2021, 02:38:10 PM
There's strange independent candidate standing for Manchester Mayor by way of one Alec Marvel, https://twitter.com/AlecMarvel4. He appears to have gotten lost from Insta and ended up signing himself up for political office. Difficult to say what he stands for, most of his twitter is him and retweets from his sister slagging of Andy Burnham. Which is possibly fair, but they seem more concerned he's a scouser than anything he's actually done or failed to have done such as GMP being a shit show.

Apparently Alec does want to test covid vaccines on child abusers, according to https://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=6267, but I can't find much around that in his literature.
Oh Christ. Between him, Marcus Farmer, the English Democrats guy and the Reform UK guy, we really have some terrible people running, though at least we haven't got Laurence Fox.

Jockice

Green. Cos I know the candidate. He's a good bloke. He's a friend of a friend so I've met him several times over the last few years. And he does do a lot of community stuff. Otherwise it would probably be TUSC.

jobotic

In the last PCC election here we had Henry Bolton AND Steve Uncles to choose from. And a local Labour Councillor who is rabidly Blairite and anti-left. Great times.

Fambo Number Mive

Steve Uncles sounds like a HS Art character

Jockice

Quote from: Kelvin on April 24, 2021, 03:55:24 PM
Ah. sorry. Then we are, of course, in perfect agreement  :)

EDIT: Probably my own bias creeping through, as I still remain pissed off with the Greens for 2019.
One of the best-known Greens in this city is a pompous prick.He blocked me on Facebook for making a perfectly polite point about him repeatedly posting articles from the Murdoch press about at the time MP Jared O'Mara. I mean, for fuck's sake. O'Mara may have been a shit MP but The Sun's done a hell of a lot more harm than he did. And I don't think promoting a publication driving a disabled person to a nervous breakdown is anything to be proud of either. Even if he doesn't totally agree on your policy about trees.

I knew him (the Green twat, not O'Mara) beforehand as well and in fact he'd asked me for some advice on a (non-political) topic a few months before. Which I willingly gave him. Cunt. I'd love him to come to my door asking for my vote. I don't often have a go at people face to face but I'd love to let him know exactly what I think of him.

I don't doubt the candidate knows Simon Cunt (for anyone who lives in Sheffield, that's not too far from his real name) but i've never had any problems with the guy so he's getting the benefit of the doubt.

Buelligan

Yes, the Greens were wankers in 2019, edit glitch.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 24, 2021, 08:10:52 PM
One of the best-known Greens in this city is a pompous prick.He blocked me on Facebook for making a perfectly polite point about him repeatedly posting articles from the Murdoch press about at the time MP Jared O'Mara. I mean, for fuck's sake. O'Mara may have been a shit MP but The Sun's done a hell of a lot more harm than he did. And I don't think promoting a publication driving a disabled person to a nervous breakdown is anything to be proud of either. Even if he doesn't totally agree on your policy about trees.

I knew him (the Green twat, not O'Mara) beforehand as well and in fact he'd asked me for some advice on a (non-political) topic a few months before. Which I willingly gave him. Cunt. I'd love him to come to my door asking for my vote. I don't often have a go at people face to face but I'd love to let him know exactly what I think of him.

I don't doubt the candidate knows Simon Cunt (for anyone who lives in Sheffield, that's not too far from his real name) but i've never had any problems with the guy so he's getting the benefit of the doubt.

Actually, thinking about this incident and also the way the Greens behaved in 2019 has made me change my mind. For such a supposedly moral party they have no compunction in choosing repulsive bedfellows when it suits them. So sorry Brian (and it really is nothing personal. I do think you're a sound bloke) but I think my vote's going to TUSC.

There's also a Police and Crime Commissioner election but that's only the three main parties. May not even fill that in.

SpiderChrist

Both the PCC and Mayoral elections here have only the main three bunch of cunts parties represented, so I won't be voting. No idea RE the council elections, can't seem to find any info on independents or parties outside of "the big three", so might not vote in that either.

JaDanketies

I'm voting Green. It seems like the best way to advocate for a leftist viewpoint, even if they did let us down in the Corbyn era. I was gonna vote independent but it turns out they're all a bunch of far-right pricks this time.

DrGreggles

Got Green candidates across the board in Cambridge, so that's who's getting my support.
Doubt they'll win, but it might at least show a bit of Keith apathy.
It'll feel weird not voting Labour (and hopefully I don't on autopilot), but I think I'll still be voting for the most left-wing party available.

bakabaka

Riding the wave...

From the latest Private Eye.

Fambo Number Mive

*vomits*

QuoteEight year old Harry from Bristol asked the BBC's Election West podcast to find out which sweets the leaders of England's main political parties have a soft spot for.

Labour's Sir Keir Starmer told the podcast: "I love a Rolo if that counts as a sweet and so does my daughter so whenever there's a pack of Rolos in the house there's a fight to be had. She normally wins that."

Boris Johnson said he prefers chocolate: "I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I do like chocolate so it would probably be some sort of Cadbury's something or other. It would be Fruit and Nut".

Jonathan Bartley, the co-leader of the Green Party, said he was a big fan of Haribos until he became a vegan and discovered they contain gelatine: "I go for Bourbon biscuits, the chocolatey ones. I'm getting a lot of vegan chocolate but I'm really still searching for a decent vegan chocolate and it breaks my heart because I have a sweet tooth!"

The Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey said he prefers the old favourites: "My grandparents used to run a little shop which had a lot of sweets in it, old-fashioned sweets in those big jars. My favourite was rhubarb and custard sweets – a wonderful colour, lots of yellow in it and...they tasted great.

Just imagining someone deciding who to vote for based on the leader's sweet choices. Thanks BBC and Harry for this pointless fluff.

Meanwhile Labour are still trying to lower expectations, probably knowing Keith will be bad for local elections.

Quote"People might not be totally convinced yet but they want to have that conversation in a way, to be honest, they just didn't want to talk to us at times in 2019."

Jonathan Reynold
Shadow work and pensions secretary

EOLAN

I say it was much more a case of Jonathon Reynolds not wanting to talk to people with a pro-Corbyn Labour's leader message than the other way round.

Mr Trumpet

Bartley should try the M&S fruit jellies - they're lovely and i'm pretty sure they're vegan.

imitationleather

Eight year old Harry to Jonathan Bartley is like, "Alright mate, didn't ask for your life story!"

jobotic

Or as my son said to me when he was six and he asked me a question and my answer was too long-winded: "alright, I don't need the ingredients".

The things they say...sigh.

Kankurette

Fuck sake. I mean, Andy Burnham is an Evertonian but that's not why I'm voting for him.

That reminds me - any Scousers here? What are your mayoral candidates like?

QuoteBoris Johnson said he prefers chocolate: "I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I do like chocolate so it would probably be some sort of Cadbury's something or other. It would be Fruit and Nut".

Careful, Boris, this is how it starts. You get put on the spot, maybe it's a family gathering, "Huxleys, try some of this, do you like it?" It's OK I suppose, then you get given multiple big bars of it every Christmas and birthday from all the grandparents, aunties and uncles. You keep telling your mum that you don't mind Fruit and Nut, but you'd rather have just a plain Dairy Milk or a Galaxy or something, Cadbury's launch exciting new bars with Caramel and Oreo and Daim in them, maybe one of those nice Lindt ones they do these days, you'd rather have one of those, get the word out, talk gushingly about them when you see Auntie Jean, dropping the hints, but no, every time it's fucking Fruit and Nut until the heat death of the universe. Careful.

idunnosomename

Quote from: imitationleather on May 05, 2021, 11:05:49 AM
Eight year old Harry to Jonathan Bartley is like, "Alright mate, didn't ask for your life story!"
more like Ed Davey. his little trip down memory lane to his grandparent's victorian sweetshop is the longest bit of oratory he's been allowed to give since becoming leader. and it was ASTONISHING. DONT COUNT OUT THE LIB DEMS JUST YET!

Fambo Number Mive

If the BBC was a half decent news organisation it would have said "No Harry, your question is an utter waste of time. Now say sorry to the public and look at the ground and say it like you mean it."

chveik

execute little Harry and send the bill for the bullet to his mama and papa

Blumf

Should I be arsed voting for Simon Foster in the West Mids PCC?

Pretty much the only thing I can see about him is this article from the local right wing reg, Depress & Stir (former Boris Johnson employer), which tries to slam him for speaking to bad Muslims but kinda warms me to him.

DrGreggles

I was going to vote Green, but that Haribo-dissing vegan cunt can fucking do one.

Icehaven

I'm not voting for anyone as I'm a poll clerk in another constituency and it didn't even occur to me until it was too late that I'd need to do a postal vote as I won't be able to get to my own polling station. Feel a bit bad but I'll try and vote twice next time to make up for it.

KennyMonster

Just PCC where I live,

Tory, Labour, Lib Dem, Indie and English Democrat.

As a Corbynista and Starmer-hater I'm probably going to go for the Labour guy anyway, his blurb wasn't complete dreck and I should vote for someone who isn't the dodgy English Democrat guy.

Pretty sure the Independant guy is a ex-Tory.