Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Local elections and PCC elections 2021 thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 23, 2021, 02:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So possible Welsh Labour majority in Senedd for first time and SNP doing well in Scotland, the latter of which could well reignite an independence vote, possibly severing the union with the UK. Not the best night for Westminster I suppose? I know Tories made mega gains in England but England is fucked.

Interestingly, the party that made big gains at the expense of Labour so far, other than the Tories, were the Greens! That speaks fucking volumes doesn't it?

peanutbutter

Quote from: bgmnts on May 07, 2021, 11:30:17 PM
Interestingly, the party that made big gains at the expense of Labour so far, other than the Tories, were the Greens! That speaks fucking volumes doesn't it?
Large green gains and a strong support level in the London mayoral election should scare the shite out of them. People like Wes Streeting could potentially lose their supposedly safe seats if people who typically support labour but hate people like Wes Streeting flip

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jobotic on May 07, 2021, 09:49:52 PM
4 Green councillors in Kent. Took all the seats from Tories. There was one before, and the Tories won it off them. Increased their vote everywhere they stood.

Just bizarre.

Seems Greens and Lib Dems doing ok in the South at the Tories expense which perhaps speaks to Remainer anger?

Bernice

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quite Morrisian, that, like Cowsick.

Chobham: Like Dante meets Bosch in a crack lounge

jobotic

Rich waste of spaces are exactly the sort of people who can be parish councillors in expensive bits of Surrey.

Hope she manages to get them back in the EU and put an end to the au pair shortage.

pigamus

Looks like Khan will be alright but Bailey did better than anyone expected

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pigamus on May 08, 2021, 09:00:08 AM
Looks like Khan will be alright but Bailey did better than anyone expected

The worst outcome

buttgammon

DrGreggles

Cambridge did OK.
Still Labour, but the Greens made a couple of gains (you're welcome!) and NO TORIES.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Seems like the Tories not doing great in the very strongest Remainer areas, which at this point I suppose they are content with as a trade for such a large chunk of working class voters.

Fambo Number Mive

Why has the vote share for Khan dropped and the vote for Bailey increased? Is it due to Keith or is it something specifically related to Khan? When you consider how many millions Johnson wasted on the non-existent Garden Bridge, the cable car barely anyone uses and his crap new bus for London, how are the Tories doing so well in London, especially with such a bad candidate as Bailey?

Jasha

What's happened to Brian YouTubes, has he lost his deposit?

jobotic

"Hard left" non-grown ups in the room councillors don't seem to have done too badly.

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1390777449529712641

It's almost as if trying to improve peoples' lives appeals to them.

Nah, fuck that, war on woke it is. ROSIE!

Fambo Number Mive

Chobham always reminds me of Chob from Brass Eye and his anti-cow slogans.

The Culture Bunker

I was expecting Labour to take some minor damage in the Manchester council elections - in the end, they swept the board, gaining a seat.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 08, 2021, 10:46:44 AM
Chobham always reminds me of Chob from Brass Eye and his anti-cow slogans.

Makes me think of the concept of bricolage, but we're all different.

jobotic

It's almost as if the less right-wing / centrist you are, the better you do. If you're Labour.

pigamus

Just found out that the Tory won in my ward. The Labour councillor who'd been there for donkeys' years died recently. Depressing.

idunnosomename

Of course Emma Kennedy still thinks the Jackie Weaver thing is funny

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2021, 10:59:42 AM
It's almost as if the less right-wing / centrist you are, the better you do. If you're Labour.

Also strong Remain areas. It is a complex picture this time.

chveik

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 08, 2021, 11:08:30 AM
Of course Emma Kennedy still thinks the Jackie Weaver thing is funny

she's nothing but consistent

Kankurette

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2021, 10:46:02 AM
"Hard left" non-grown ups in the room councillors don't seem to have done too badly.

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1390777449529712641

It's almost as if trying to improve peoples' lives appeals to them.

Nah, fuck that, war on woke it is. ROSIE!
Go ed, Preston.

holyzombiejesus

Don't pretend you aren't interested in what Andy Burnham is wearing today for what is expected to be a second coronation as mayor of Greater Manchester/King of the North.

He has arrived at the count at Manchester Central dressed in what I'd describe as "classic northern casual". Despite heavy rain he was not wearing the cagoule in which he delivered one of his defiant anti-government speeches last autumn, but a dark jacket, dark shirt, slim jeans and box-fresh black suede Clarks Wallabees. No tie.
Definitely ready for a big soggy night out in one of Manchester's beer gardens later.

The scale of his victory should be confirmed at around 3.30pm.

Helen fucking Pidd.

imitationleather

Fambo Number Mive

I think most people other than Helen Pidd don't care what type of shoes or jacket Andy wore to the count. If he turned up dressed as a Klingon, that might be newsworthy.

Are they trying to get Guardian readers interested in him as Starmer's successor? "Let's talk about what he wears, our readers love that".

imitationleather

The Guardian are probably going to coo over Burnham as the sort of person who should be leading Labour, and whoever replaces Kieth will be unfavourably compared to him to the extent that their reign will be badly hobbled before it's even begun.

The logistics of Burnham becoming leader mean it's not going to happen though. It'd involve Labour winning a by-election, which doesn't seem likely to happen for a good long while.