Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Fashionably Late Euro 2020 Thread

Started by DrGreggles, April 23, 2021, 03:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

GROUP STAGES

Friday, June 11
Group A: Turkey vs Italy (8pm, Rome)

Saturday, June 12
Group A: Wales vs Switzerland (2pm, Baku)
Group B: Denmark vs Finland (5pm, Copenhagen)
Group B: Belgium vs Russia (8pm, St Petersburg)

Sunday, June 13
Group D: England vs Croatia (2pm, London)
Group C: Austria vs North Macedonia (5pm, Bucharest)
Group C: Holland vs Ukraine (8pm, Amsterdam)

Monday, June 14
Group D: Scotland vs Czech Republic (2pm, Glasgow)
Group E: Poland vs Slovakia (5pm, St Petersburg)
Group E: Spain vs Sweden (8pm, Seville)

Tuesday, June 15
Group F: Hungary vs Portugal (5pm, Budapest)
Group F: France vs Germany (8pm, Munich)

Wednesday, June 16
Group B: Finland vs Russia (2pm, St Petersburg)
Group A: Turkey vs Wales (5pm, Baku)
Group A: Italy vs Switzerland (8pm, Rome)

Thursday, June 17
Group C: Ukraine vs North Macedonia (2pm, Bucharest)
Group B: Denmark vs Belgium (5pm, Copenhagen)
Group C: Holland vs Austria (8pm, Amsterdam)

Friday, June 18
Group E: Sweden vs Slovakia (2pm, St Petersburg)
Group D: Croatia vs Czech Republic (5pm, Glasgow)
Group D: England vs Scotland (8pm, London)

Saturday, June 19
Group F: Hungary vs France (2pm, Budapest)
Group F: Portugal vs Germany (5pm, Munich)
Group E: Spain vs Poland (8pm, Seville)

Sunday, June 20
Group A: Italy vs Wales (5pm, Rome)
Group A: Switzerland vs Turkey (5pm, Baku)

Monday, June 21
Group C: North Macedonia vs Holland (5pm, Amsterdam)
Group C: Ukraine vs Austria (5pm, Bucharest)
Group B: Russia vs Denmark (8pm, Copenhagen)
Group B: Finland vs Belgium (8pm, St Petersburg)

Tuesday, June 22
Group D: Czech Republic vs England (8pm, London)
Group D: Croatia vs Scotland (8pm, Glasgow)

Wednesday, June 23
Group E: Slovakia vs Spain (5pm, Seville)
Group E: Sweden vs Poland (5pm, St Petersburg)
Group F: Germany vs Hungary (8pm, Munich)
Group F: Portugal v France (8pm, Budapest)

LAST 16

Saturday, June 26
1: 2A vs 2B (5pm, Amsterdam)
2: 1A vs 2C (8pm, London)

Sunday, June 27
3: 1C vs 3D/E/F (5pm, Budapest)
4: 1B vs 3A/D/E/F (8pm, Seville)

Monday, June 28
5: 2D vs 2E (5pm, Copenhagen)
6: 1F vs 3A/B/C (8pm, Bucharest)

Tuesday, June 29
7: 1D vs 2F (5pm, London)
8: 1E vs 3A/B/C/D (8pm, Glasgow)

QUARTER-FINALS

Friday, July 2
QF1: Winner 6 vs Winner 5 (5pm, St Petersburg)
QF2: Winner 4 vs Winner 2 (8pm, Munich)

Saturday, July 3
QF3: Winner 3 vs Winner 1 (5pm, Baku)
QF4: Winner 8 vs Winner 7 (8pm, Rome)

SEMI-FINALS

Tuesday, July 6
SF1: Winner QF2 vs Winner QF1 (8pm, London)

Wednesday, July 7
SF2: Winner QF4 vs Winner QF3 (8pm, London)

FINAL

Sunday, July 11
Winner SF1 vs Winner SF2 (8pm, London)

mothman

My prediction: Lockdown 4, Football nil.

imitationleather

This has the magic trio sorted, which suggests it could be The Best Tournament Ever:

• Exhausted players coming off the back of the most tiring season they will have ever played
  • No single host country and barely any fans in stadiums
  • Matches being played in boiling summer heat

Norton Canes

Plus hardly any fans

Not fans for the heat, fans fans

imitationleather

If England somehow manage to be knocked out by Iceland again then it will all be worth it.

chveik

Quote from: imitationleather on April 23, 2021, 04:19:26 PM
This has the magic trio sorted, which suggests it could be The Best Tournament Ever:

• Exhausted players coming off the back of the most tiring season they will have ever played
  • No single host country and barely any fans in stadiums
  • Matches being played in boiling summer heat

an that atrocious 24 nations formula

chveik

Quote from: imitationleather on April 23, 2021, 04:22:57 PM
If England somehow manage to be knocked out by Iceland again then it will all be worth it.

Iceland won't be there

imitationleather

They've fucked the Euros up by expanding it to 24 teams. 36 games to eliminate eight nations. Apart from Wales's run to the semi-final, which included a couple of belting games, the format helped make Euro 2016 one of the dullest international tournaments in memory.

Anyone got tickets? I've got one for a last 16 game at Wembley, but I'm expecting to lose it in the ballot to cancel tickets due to the reduced capacity.

Inspector Norse

Euro 2016 was a load of bollocks, a tediously negative tournament won by a dreadful, cynical team who got through their group without winning a game thanks to the bloated format, while the one side in the whole thing that showed any attacking vim bottled it in the quarters and contrived to lose to Wales. The low point was seeing England reach their nadir, a display that neatly encapsulated the turgid, panicked football they'd played over the previous decade, which I got to watch in a crummy bar at Bordeaux airport, waiting for a delayed plane, toddler dozing in his buggy, surrounded by French and Swedes cheering for Iceland.

Obviously I can't wait for this one. I've even ordered the Panini album "to get the kids into it".

BlodwynPig

Think of all the environmental damage this is going to do.

Plus, as a France fan.. no fucking chance. England never have hard groups in qualifying or tournaments. The odd time with Portugal and that's it.

Captain Z

I don't believe it is happening. I'm so accustomed to the seemingly perpetual limbo that I still imagine we will be reading how "Euro 2020 could be reduced to just three host countries" in two years time.

buttgammon

As a Welshman, I'd happily let the Euros die. It's never going to beat 2016.

Euro 2016 - queued behind Zidane in Marseille airport. Got tear gassed. Watched England fans turn on the team over 45 terrible, terrible minutes of football. Classic.

imitationleather

Oh yeah I forgot about the crowd trouble in 2016!

It did give us that absolutely classic Athletico Mince episode, though...

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 23, 2021, 06:51:50 PM
Think of all the environmental damage this is going to do.
It would be nice if they made them all do it in team coaches. Nip up the federal highway from Baku to London.

I'm sure Scotland will remain eco-friendly and not go further than London, though. Looking forward to the joy of Scotland in a big tournament turn to sorrow in about 20 minutes as we're crushed by the Czechs.

DrGreggles

At Scotland can look forward to their fans being thoroughly patronised for their excellent behaviour.

Excellent behaviour, of course, meaning not smashing up a local café.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 25, 2021, 12:09:48 PM
It would be nice if they made them all do it in team coaches. Nip up the federal highway from Baku to London.

I'm sure Scotland will remain eco-friendly and not go further than London, though. Looking forward to the joy of Scotland in a big tournament turn to sorrow in about 20 minutes as we're crushed by the Czechs.

Wales, Scotland, England, Wales Semi-Finals, you heard it here first. The nation healed. Boris for another 10 years. The return of a united Oasis. Lad culture back in business. 2 fingers up to Johnny Foreigner.

amateur

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 23, 2021, 04:46:48 PMAnyone got tickets? I've got one for a last 16 game at Wembley, but I'm expecting to lose it in the ballot to cancel tickets due to the reduced capacity.

Got England v Croatia and the last sixteen game at Wembley.

They have been very, VERY insistent on returning your tickets if you can't go, but as you say there's going to be a re-ballot as I'm sure less than 75% of the tickets came back.

Wembley has just been awarded an extra last sixteen game though, which you hope would be first offered to anyone who loses in this new ballot.

kngen

'Hooray, Scotland have qualified for their first tournament in a generation!'

'Brilliant. Where are we going? Madrid? Milan? Monte Carlo?'

'Uh, Hampden.'

'Oh, well it will still be fun to see the lads in a real competition.'

'Yes, but you won't be allowed in.'

'Fuck.'

Less than 10% (or 2%?) of the games will be good but we'll keep coming back for more in 2022 and 2024 because we were conditioned as kids to expect much more than any tournament ever delivered. I think it's inevitable that the thrill has become dampened by the fact that we see these players on TV in club football weekly anyway, whereas in 1982 I had literally never seen Socrates, Falcao or Eder before*. Let's look at De Bruyne do the same moves we've seen him do hundreds of times before, often against the same dedenders in different shirts. But this time he'll be at walking pace because he's knackered and it's so fucking hot.

*And Brazil in 1982 were still playing open football, albeit self-destructive when they encountered a world-class striker (Rossi).

I dream of a return to the glory days of 2012 when I finished in the top 1,000 in the world of the official McDonald's fantasy football competition. Captained Jordi Alba in the final: goal, clean sheet, 2 bonus points.

2 pm games during the week can fuck off.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on April 27, 2021, 03:15:17 PM
I dream of a return to the glory days of 2012 when I finished in the top 1,000 in the world of the official McDonald's fantasy football competition. Captained Jordi Alba in the final: goal, clean sheet, 2 bonus points.

I'm still coasting on the tails of my CaB World Cup 2018 victory.

Inspector Norse

All the kits (except North Macedonia who are sticking to their role of mysterious outsiders by not confirming theirs yet)

Best ones are Finland, Belgium, Denmark and maybe Spain (and I like North Macedonia's if that is the one they end up using).

England's is pretty bad but the worst are the Czech away shirt and the France kits, all of which look like cheap generic Sports Direct tops you buy for 5-a-side training.

amateur

North Macedonia has huge 1998 energy, and I'm all for it.

Portugal away is very polo shirt your dad would wear on holiday, and as a dad who loves to holiday, I would be delighted to wear it.

imitationleather

I love '80s tennis shirts, and Switzerland away is very much in that style. If it had a polo shirt collar it'd be perfect.

Inspector Norse

Yeah liked the Swiss one too. On the fence with that Portuguese one, it could look good but also looks like something a landfill indie bassist might pair with a brown jacket and skinny jeans.

bgmnts

I quite like the Wales 'banana yellow and olive' away kit.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: imitationleather on May 09, 2021, 01:56:11 PM
I love '80s tennis shirts, and Switzerland away is very much in that style. If it had a polo shirt collar it'd be perfect.

It's got a very Lendl feel to it, yes.

If Portugal had any moxy about them they'd have Wolves' colours for their away kit.