Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:24:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Fashionably Late Euro 2020 Thread

Started by DrGreggles, April 23, 2021, 03:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Why dont Switzerland use any neutral colours in their kits?

Quote from: amateur on April 25, 2021, 02:10:22 PM
Got England v Croatia and the last sixteen game at Wembley.

Have you had a cancellation for either yet? The communication from UEFA has been bloody awful, though there's a theory on Twitter that cancellation emails are being sent by order number. They seem to be up to order numbers beginning with 290 now, so if you're below that and haven't had an email then you might be safe. Mine begins with 189 so I'm hopeful that I'll see Italy beat Ukraine 1-0 after extra time in the last 16 in person.

Christ knows why they couldn't email everyone at the same time with a message that either says your ticket's safe or it's been cancelled.

I know it's hardly surprising, but it's fucking miserable that hundreds of thousands of people are losing seats they paid for two years ago and then are being given a chance to win tickets with Just Eat.

bgmnts

I'm one of the few people that loves international football it seems but for this one i'm only semi looking forward to it.

Wales to win.

BlodwynPig

Preddo: France wont get out of group stage.

bgmnts

Costa Rica to reach the round of 16.

buttgammon

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2021, 10:46:41 AM
I'm one of the few people that loves international football it seems but for this one i'm only semi looking forward to it.

Wales to win.

From the Welsh perspective, I think the novelty has worn off a bit. We've developed to such an extent that I was genuinely disappointed about not qualifying for the last World Cup - probably the first time I'd ever actually expected it - and I even have a nagging feeling that we could've beaten that Portugal team last time.

This isn't going to stop me plastering the place in dragons and shouting the building down when we play Switzerland in a few weeks, though!

bgmnts

Quote from: buttgammon on May 21, 2021, 01:26:55 PM
From the Welsh perspective, I think the novelty has worn off a bit. We've developed to such an extent that I was genuinely disappointed about not qualifying for the last World Cup - probably the first time I'd ever actually expected it

Have we really developed that much? I still feel we are sort of shit on the world stage. Yeah in the Euros we can go up against Azerbaijan and Kosovo and North Macedonia and do alright but Germany, Brazil, Senegal, Japan etc, I honestly think we're still a bit shit really.

Very young team with potential but not a huge amount of world class quality beyond Bale, Ramsey and maybe Ben Davies?

buttgammon

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2021, 01:32:48 PM
Have we really developed that much? I still feel we are sort of shit on the world stage. Yeah in the Euros we can go up against Azerbaijan and Kosovo and North Macedonia and do alright but Germany, Brazil, Senegal, Japan etc, I honestly think we're still a bit shit really.

Very young team with potential but not a huge amount of world class quality beyond Bale, Ramsey and maybe Ben Davies?

Yeah, I suppose so (and in some ways, we've actually regressed since the last Euros), but I'm also thinking about my younger days when I had zero expectations and would feel relieved if we scraped a 1-0 win against Liechtenstein or something.

bgmnts

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Wales when Bale retires from internationals. A player like Bale just changes games and all that so it'll be interesting to see if we just massively regress or keep it up.

buttgammon

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2021, 11:30:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens to Wales when Bale retires from internationals. A player like Bale just changes games and all that so it'll be interesting to see if we just massively regress or keep it up.

Yeah, that's going to be a big test. Even though he's not the player he once was, he's still an extraordinarily powerful weapon to have.

Glyn

Quote from: buttgammon on May 22, 2021, 11:08:18 AM
Yeah, that's going to be a big test. Even though he's not the player he once was, he's still an extraordinarily powerful weapon to have.

Part of me thinks Wales can cope without Bale. It will probably make it easier to fit Brooks, Wilson and James into the side and the chance of Bale having a good game for Wales has felt 50/50 for at least the last year.

A larger part of me of me though knows that he's still a massive talisman and usually involved somewhere in almost all Welsh goals, even if he's having a stinker.

Have seen some stories today suggesting he'll retire from football next year but I'd be surprised if he turned his back on Wales anytime soon , he clearly loves playing internationally and the reason 'Wales,Golf,Madrid' is such a good chant is that it feels very true.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: bgmnts on May 21, 2021, 10:46:41 AM

Wales to win.

I'm really looking forward to it even though I know I'm going to waste a lot of my life watching bollocks like Austria v North Macedonia. These international tournaments still bring out two aspects of my personality that I otherwise keep locked securely away, namely my obsessive nerdiness and my wide-eyed childish wonder. I love the sense of history in the making, the way that every tournament has its own narrative, the little incidents and moments, all of which is still lacking in the neverending annual churn of the club game.

amateur

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 21, 2021, 10:00:19 AM
Have you had a cancellation for either yet? The communication from UEFA has been bloody awful, though there's a theory on Twitter that cancellation emails are being sent by order number. They seem to be up to order numbers beginning with 290 now, so if you're below that and haven't had an email then you might be safe. Mine begins with 189 so I'm hopeful that I'll see Italy beat Ukraine 1-0 after extra time in the last 16 in person.

Christ knows why they couldn't email everyone at the same time with a message that either says your ticket's safe or it's been cancelled.

I know it's hardly surprising, but it's fucking miserable that hundreds of thousands of people are losing seats they paid for two years ago and then are being given a chance to win tickets with Just Eat.

Bastards have cancelled my tickets. Both sets.

Even worse, I've lost money on them because the exchange rate is shitter than it was in 2019. So I'm not going to the Euros and I'm twenty quid down to boot.

Mildly disappointed, to say the least.

amateur

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

Ladies & Gentlemen, the Portugal away shirt:

bgmnts

Was that design the result of some sort of competition to win tickets to the Euro final?

monkfromhavana

I think this is first tournament since I was about 3 that I have next to zero interest in watching. And that's coming off a season played during lockdown where I watched precisely zero Premier League games, 0 European club fixtures, zero internationals and zero Match of the Days.

amateur

I'm going to move the TV into the extension for the England game.

bgmnts

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 03, 2021, 02:30:48 PM
I think this is first tournament since I was about 3 that I have next to zero interest in watching. And that's coming off a season played during lockdown where I watched precisely zero Premier League games, 0 European club fixtures, zero internationals and zero Match of the Days.

Are you English? I often wonder what it would be like to be from a nation that is expected to be pretty good at football. Presumably, Welsh, Scottish and Irish fans get a bit more out of it because we're shite and it's fun to give it a go.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2021, 06:14:22 PM
Are you English? I often wonder what it would be like to be from a nation that is expected to be pretty good at football. Presumably, Welsh, Scottish and Irish fans get a bit more out of it because we're shite and it's fun to give it a go.

I'm English and support France, you fucking racist leek.

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 03, 2021, 06:41:27 PM
I'm English and support France, you fucking racist leek.

Yeah and you're weird af. Like choosing to support Real Madrid or something.

My teams this year are Wales, North Macedonia, Scotland and Hungary.

Also, are you hinting at something about to go down?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-57328558

imitationleather

The true football hipsters are backing England this year.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 03, 2021, 10:25:03 AM
Ladies & Gentlemen, the Portugal away shirt:

Can't quite make out what the label at the bottom says.

chveik

nice!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2021, 06:14:22 PM

I'd like to say that I'm English, but I don't want to be thrown in jail. In fairness, I'll probably have it on in the background, don't care who wins, but I want to see Scotland do well.

Just falling out of love with the wider game (I watched about 80% of Coventry's games last year and would still go to non-league) I suppose.

notjosh

My enthusiasm has definitely diminished by about 20% due to VAR bollocks. I am contemplating not watching the next World Cup on moral grounds though (that'll show em!) so will probably watch every game of this to tide me over till 2024.

George Oscar Bluth II

Sorry to say I have Euros fever following a trip to London Bridge station the other day where UEFA have hung "HOST CITY LONDON" banners on the lampposts outside. It's coming home lads.