Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,475
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Air Force wreck hospital helipad

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 23, 2021, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAir ambulances are unable to land at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge after its helipad was destroyed by a military aircraft.

It means critically ill patients can't be flown directly to the hospital, but have to be taken to Cambridge City Airport instead.

Addenbrooke's is the major trauma centre for the East of England and its helipad is used by the East Anglian Air Ambulance, Magpas Air Ambulance and Essex and Herts Air Ambulance.

The helipad is currently out of use after it was wrecked during a training exercise by the US Air Force.

You can see video of the incident here: https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2021-04-22/addenbrookes-hospital-helipad-destroyed-during-military-training-exercise

Let's hope the US Air Force fully compensate the hospital for the cost of rebuilding the helipad, not sure how they can compensate for any lives put at risk by the damage to the helipad they caused though.

Lots of people on Twitter blaming the helipad rather then the US Air Force.

Perhaps a second HELICHOCTER will need to be constructed to help raise money for the replacement helipad.

Chollis

By the looks of it they could just whack some plastic tiles down again, good as new

Fr.Bigley

Even the yanks fat aircraft can't sit down without breaking the chair. Arseholes.

SpiderChrist

shiftwork2

"Prince" William used to fly for the East Anglian Air Ambulance and even that bald cock didn't do a dozy like this.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 23, 2021, 04:05:26 PM
"Prince" William used to fly for the East Anglian Air Ambulance and even that bald cock didn't do a dozy like this.

Because when he did he was listening to North Norfolk Digital.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Chollis on April 23, 2021, 03:54:37 PM
By the looks of it they could just whack some plastic tiles down again, good as new

By the looks of it they could just clear the ruffled plastic tiles away and land on the grass, as nature intended.

Can't wait for the Chocter lads to pick up on this one.

hamfist

shame lucky all that shit didn't fly up into the rotors and fuck the chopper thing over

The excellent and (long) WTYP podcast "did" the V-22 and I enjoyed it

https://youtu.be/iz1sMv5C60Q

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 23, 2021, 04:21:54 PM
By the looks of it they could just clear the ruffled plastic tiles away and land on the grass, as nature intended.

Can't wait for the Chocter lads to pick up on this one.

Apparently landing on the grass makes it bumpier when they wheel the stretchers in, according to people on Twitter.

Captain Z

I expect they can't land on the grass nowadays due to the woke lefty Marxist agenda, but I'm pretty certain 100% of the patients involved would be happy to take the risk if given a choice.

Sebastian Cobb

Couldn't they do their training in a car park somewhere instead of tieing up a hospital helipad for non-hospital bullshit?

Helicopters are a liability imo, they shouldn't be flown over densely packed civilian areas unless there's a real emergency.

Fuck the police using them too if they can't be trusted not to drop them on pubs etc.

Fambo Number Mive

Probably, but why break the tradition of the US regarding the UK as their property while UK politicians lick the President's boots and buttocks?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: hamfist on April 23, 2021, 04:26:09 PM
shame lucky all that shit didn't fly up into the rotors and fuck the chopper thing over

I have a friend who is an survivability engineer working in V-22 program. I'll ask her about this.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 23, 2021, 04:53:51 PM
Apparently landing on the grass makes it bumpier when they wheel the stretchers in, according to people on Twitter.

WELL THEY SHOULD CARRY THEM LIKE HEROES WOULD ARE THEY NOT HEROES

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't wish to come across as uncaring, but I'm rather apathetic about this.

Work on it, Fambo.

hamfist

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 23, 2021, 06:24:20 PM

Work on it, Fambo.

Imagine though you'd spent all week building a nice little quaint British helipad only to have US Airman Chad Spurtman show up in his big brash thrashy supersized Yankee-doodle yee-haw yessir wham bam pass the spam gee-whillickers ma'am star spangled fuck yeah USA USA USA USA how you like them apples helicopter and churn it all up ?

Probably feel a bit miffed I'd say.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: hamfist on April 23, 2021, 06:37:37 PM
Imagine though you'd spent all week building a nice little quaint British helipad only to have US Airman Chad Spurtman show up in his big brash thrashy supersized Yankee-doodle yee-haw yessir wham bam pass the spam gee-whillickers ma'am star spangled fuck yeah USA USA USA USA how you like them apples helicopter and churn it all up ?

Probably feel a bit miffed I'd say.

It's basically the story of local hero set on a hospital rather than a beach I reckon.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 23, 2021, 06:24:20 PM

Work on it, Fambo.

It's added about 2.5 miles to the journey from helicopter to hospital. Traffic depending, it takes 10 to 20 minutes to get from Cambridge Airport to Addenbrookes, so I guess some people might die because of this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dex Sawash

Should be a recall on that helichocter landing mat

Pinball

Use the grass. It's nature's helipad. And my garage has got better plastic tiles than that tat.

Bum Flaps

The longer video makes it look like the helicopter crew landed for a trip to the bogs/vending machine and maybe a little leg stretch.

That landing mat will be right as rain with a few more tent pegs, and maybe a couple of big rocks on the corners?

Pinball

They need to get the RAF to make a better helipad for them. Honestly....

buzby

It should be noted that the V-22 is not a helicopter, it's a VTOL aircraft that has extremely powerful and well-known rotor downwash and jet exhaust issues (the US Marines' helicopter carriers had to hsve their decks reinforced and refrigerated to prevent the V-22 from damaging them). Even the most HFCS-addled US Airman, never mind Major Keavy Rake, should have noted that a rubber matting-based landing pad would be totally unsuitable for the V-22. That's presumably why they landed on the grass next to it, but did not take into account the effect of the high power setting required to take off.

Sebastian Cobb

Didn't click it was a v22. Well There's Your Problem had an episode on that with a couple of ex-military guests.
I can't remember much about it but they weren't very complimentary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1sMv5C60Q

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 26, 2021, 10:51:57 AM
Didn't click it was a v22. Well There's Your Problem had an episode on that with a couple of ex-military guests.
I can't remember much about it but they weren't very complimentary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1sMv5C60Q
Quote from: hamfist on April 23, 2021, 04:26:09 PM

The excellent and (long) WTYP podcast "did" the V-22 and I enjoyed it

https://youtu.be/iz1sMv5C60Q

Mister Six

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 23, 2021, 05:34:14 PM
WELL THEY SHOULD CARRY THEM LIKE HEROES WOULD ARE THEY NOT HEROES

#NotMyAreHeroes

Dex Sawash

The thing I hate the most about myself[nb]right this not-very-self-aware second[/nb] is how much I love the V-22.

DrGreggles

Worked there for 5 years and didn't know there was a helipad.