Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sequel-free actors

Started by mothman, April 23, 2021, 04:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Inspired by this post...

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 22, 2021, 09:40:33 AM
I did read that Robert Redford appearing in both CA2 and Endgame was the only time he's played the same character in two different films. Is that true?

... I started thinking about sufficiently-high-profile actors who work in modern sequel-/franchise-heavy Hollywood films but have never played a recurring role. Obviously Robert Redford isn't one of them, not anymore, but I wondered if there were others?

Guidelines, maybe? They have to have had a significant part of their filmography take place in the past forty or fifty years, since sequels and franchises became a significant part of the Hollywood business model. So, for instance, Steve McQueen managed to avoid it, but then he did die in 1980. And in case it's not clear, I don't mean actors who appeared in sequels but not the originals!

It'd be interesting to see how difficult it is, or not! For instance, I found two almost immediately, both Timothys - Chalemet and Olyphant. Though if Dune is a big enough hit, the former won't be in the list for long...

Bad Ambassador

Jerzy Bondov

Tom Hardy. Although once Venom 2 comes out (or if he does another Mad Max) he will have to leave the club.

Jerzy Bondov

John Cusack (although he has an uncredited cameo in the unrated version of Hot Tub Time Machine 2)

Sebastian Cobb

Humphrey Bogart.

He plays a few different characters called 'Steve' by the looks of his filmography though.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 23, 2021, 04:17:24 PM
Leonardo DiCaprio.

Kate Winslet too. Although they did co-star in something else, minus the ship.

Gulftastic

Jimmy Stewart. He played everyman, but always a different one.

John Wayne was the same character in everything so didn't need sequel. If he did have one, I bet nobody even realised.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Wayne played Rooster Cogburn twice.

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 23, 2021, 04:58:49 PM
Jimmy Stewart. He played everyman, but always a different one.
Although Destry Rides Again sure sounds like it should be a sequel.

beanheadmcginty

Dr Rock

Tom Hanks?

Shit. Toy Story.

And those Da Vinci Code films.

I was going to say Brad Pitt, but he was in Ocean's 11-13, which also disqualifies George Clooney... and at least nine other people.

Dr Rock

The Culture Bunker

Did Brando? Presumably he had the chance to be in the Godfather and Superman sequels but couldn't be arsed/asked for too much money.

edit: seems he did film scenes for Superman II but they were removed because he was apparently owed cash by the producers, and the scenes have been restored to later cuts.

greenman

James Spader, many different fetishists rather than just one repeatedly.

stonkers

There's a few close ones, I was going to say Jeff Bridges but Tron Legacy fucks it.

stonkers

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 23, 2021, 05:51:11 PM
Did Brando? Presumably he had the chance to be in the Godfather and Superman sequels but couldn't be arsed/asked for too much money.

edit: seems he did film scenes for Superman II but they were removed because he was apparently owed cash by the producers, and the scenes have been restored to later cuts.

You could also count The Freshman (I wouldn't).

Dr Rock

mothman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 23, 2021, 05:51:11 PM

Didn't he provide his voice for Godfather II?

As for Bogart & Stewart, my original point tried to emphasise that stars who came from an era when series and sequels were less common were therefore less likely to have been in any.

Jack Lemmon I think might have managed it if not for the Grumpy Old Men films, later in his life.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 23, 2021, 06:07:31 PM
The Carry On team.

I thought I'd scuppered myself with Carry On Again Doctor, but the actors have different names so it's not really a sequel. Maybe.

stonkers

I think Joaquin Phoenix is sequel free so far, but he's going to break that with Joker 2.

I can't think of any repeat roles for Jake Gyllenhaal, although I suppose he could possibly return in a future Spider-Man film.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mothman on April 23, 2021, 06:11:27 PM
Didn't he provide his voice for Godfather II?
Not sure - maybe someone with more knowledge can say if so. I know he provided some voice acting for a Godfather game not long before he died, but most of it was unusable as his breathing was so laboured due to his poor health.

Small Man Big Horse

Christopher Eccleston I think counts.

Dr Rock

Look, is Carry On Doctor Again a sequel or not? I need to be told.

holyzombiejesus

Was going to say Micky Rourke but then I remembered Love in Paris, the sequel to 9 1/2 weeks.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 23, 2021, 06:50:34 PM
Christopher Eccleston I think counts.

lol I'm going to have to check if he's done any films now, I only know him from sacking off telly gigs.

edit: oh yes plenty films I've seen.

beanheadmcginty

lipsink

Michael Shannon (They used his likeness I think in Batman V Superman)

George White

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 23, 2021, 05:23:38 PM
Wayne played Rooster Cogburn twice.
Although Destry Rides Again sure sounds like it should be a sequel.
Plus various B-westerns, eg the Mesquiteers.