Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sequel-free actors

Started by mothman, April 23, 2021, 04:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 24, 2021, 05:38:15 PM
Superman Returns would certainly have Returned if it had been better received. Gene Hackman did a few turns as Lex Luthor.

French Connection II.

French Connection IV: The Quest for Peace

mothman

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is doing well so far, only a couple of self-directed short films playing the same character to queer the pitch right now.

And the
Spoiler alert
real-name reveal
[close]
at the end of The Dark Knight Rises set him up perfectly for a
Spoiler alert
Robin
[close]
sequel or spin off. I wonder if he would have done that if it had been green-lit.

Dr Rock

So he gets the batcave and the batmobile etc. Wouldn't he also need to spend about ten years mastering every fighting technique?

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 23, 2021, 04:27:52 PM
John Cusack (although he has an uncredited cameo in the unrated version of Hot Tub Time Machine 2)

There's an argument to be made that his character in the little-loved War, Inc. is an older version of the one he played in Grosse Pointe Blank. But that might be stretching it. He did play himself being irritated by characters played by Tim Robbins in both Bob Roberts and The Player, if that counts.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 25, 2021, 04:56:24 PM
He did play himself being irritated by characters played by Tim Robbins in both Bob Roberts and The Player, if that counts.
High Fidelity too.

Keith Allen out of the club for the Trainspotting/Shallow Grave probable prequel theory?

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 25, 2021, 08:10:52 PM
High Fidelity too.

Oh, there are plenty of Cusack-being-annoyed-by-and/or-annoying-Robbins roles out there - Cusack isn't playing Cusack in HF, though.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 25, 2021, 09:27:10 PM
Oh, there are plenty of Cusack-being-annoyed-by-and/or-annoying-Robbins roles out there - Cusack isn't playing Cusack in HF, though.
Indeed, I misread your post as being without the "playing himself" bit.

mothman

There's probably loads of people who've played themselves in multiple things, but playing exaggerated versions of themselves as is the fashion these days? Van Damme, I guess (mostly TV - Friends and Vegas, plus JCVD and wasn't there a TV spin-off of that too?)...

Brundle-Fly

mothman

Thinking of Spacey got me onto his Usual Suspects costars, and it's a mixed bag when it comes to sequelling: Byrne and Baldwin haven't, Del Toro and Pollak have.

sprocket

Quote from: mothman on April 26, 2021, 12:45:40 AM
Thinking of Spacey got me onto his Usual Suspects costars, and it's a mixed bag when it comes to sequelling: Byrne and Baldwin haven't, Del Toro and Pollak have.

Byrne has played the same character in notoriously gritty Irish television shows The Riordans, Bracken, and Glenroe.

phantom_power

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 25, 2021, 04:56:24 PM
There's an argument to be made that his character in the little-loved War, Inc. is an older version of the one he played in Grosse Pointe Blank. But that might be stretching it. He did play himself being irritated by characters played by Tim Robbins in both Bob Roberts and The Player, if that counts.

And Adaptation. Is he playing himself in Bob Roberts?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

dissolute ocelot

It's easier if you stick to indie films.

Laura Linney (excluding the Comic Relief Love Actually thing, which really doesn't count)
Parker Posey (who's been in two threequels, Blade: Trinity and Scream 3, but not in other films in the series)
Martin Donovan (although I'm not totally sure about all the Hal Hartley movies; frequent roles as men in suits who die a lot)
Christopher Eccleston (the sort of actor who dies a lot)

(Didn't realise Peter Dinklage had quite such a career doing voiceovers in shit like Angry Birds 1 & 2; Malkovich was in two REDs; Jonathan Pryce in PotC; and Amy Adams as Lois Lane in the recent DC films)

phantom_power

Parker Posey has played Fay Grim in several Hal Hartley films

Bad Ambassador

Not a recurring role, but she was also in Superman Returns as Lex's moll.

Dusty Substance

Bad Ambassador

And all the other films with Silent Bob - I assumed this was a joke.

Dr Rock

And Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

And Mallrats

And Dogma.

I think it was a 'joke' answer.

mothman

Have we said Matthew McConaughey yet? For some reason I assumed he was in the Magic Mike sequel, but nope... oh, no, wait. He was in Sing and will be in the upcoming Sing 2, whatever those are. So close, but he blew it at the final hurdle.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 27, 2021, 03:32:24 PM
And Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

And Mallrats

And Dogma.

I think it was a 'joke' answer.
Ah of course.  Oopsy daisy.  So is the rule 'Kevin Smith sequels are all shit', right?

He's such a fan of sequels he appeared in Die Hard 4.0, but a real-life fallout with Bruce Willis means he defenitely won't be invited to do any more of those.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 27, 2021, 07:21:55 PM
Bloody hell. That's just plain depressing.

Due to the poor sourcing, and certain unlikely sounding aspects, I'm choosing to believe it's not true.