Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,465
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who have people said you look like?

Started by non capisco, April 24, 2021, 01:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElTwopo

In chronological order, I have apparently looked like this over the years:

Lord Snooty
Kenny Thomas
Dean Cain
Morrissey
Kevin Spacey
Peter Lorre
EDIT: Gregg Wallace

About 10 years ago, a woman in a supermarket car park once said that she'd thought that I WAS Bradley from EastEnders (she didn't specify whether this meant the actual character or just the actor that played him).  Everyone thought this was hilarious at the time, but both me and the Bradley actor now have receding hair and glasses, and do seem to be gradually merging into the same person, so she might have been on to something.

Usually I just get Robert Webb though. Or occasionally one of the Proclaimers.

Quote from: ElTwopo on April 25, 2021, 10:55:28 PM
In chronological order, I have apparently looked like this over the years:

Kenny Thomas

Outstanding[nb]one of KT's many, many popular hits[/nb]

Jockice

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 25, 2021, 11:20:05 PM
Or occasionally one of the Proclaimers.

Oh yeah, I get The Proclaimers quite often too. But having briefly stood next to one of them (Charlie I think it was. Long time ago) I was surprised at how tall and well-built they are. He towered over me and looked like he could snap me in half if he felt like it. A lot of pop stars I have met in my life are surprisingly small but they go to the opposite extreme.

timebug

Being ancient and wrinkly, I suppose I look like any number of objectionable people; but when a teen during the 'swinging sixties' I was often compared to Paul McCartney (when he was still considered 'cool'!) or the late Richard Beckinsale (Porridge/Rising Damp) As far as enhancing pulling power for single blokes, it was  a bonus, I suppose!

SteveDave

My first girlfriend thought I looked like Tim from Ash. Another girl thought I looked like Richard Ashcroft. I was once mistaken for Gruff Rhys whilst I was wearing very baggy jeans. He's about 3 foot taller than me though.

Dusty Substance

A myriad of people:

Hugh Grant
Prince William/Princess Diana/Earl Spencer
Woody Harrelson
Gillian Anderson
Chunk from The Goonies (when I was a chunky teen)
Jon Lithgow
Klaus Kinski
John Perry from The Only Ones

I get mistaken for different people *ALL THE TIME*.

Usually it's just someone they used to work with or drank in the same pub as, but one time this guy came up to me at a train station, started chatting and then said "Didn't we share a cell in Lewes Prison?". I told him I've never been to prison and he said "Are you sure?".

EDIT: Just remembered a good one from when I was 21 with bleach blonde hair and making some shapes in a New Romatic Club (circa 1999), someone was utterly convinced that I was Glenn Gregory from Heaven 17 and he wouldn't leave me alone until I signed an autograph, which I did. He didn't seem to understand that the real Glenn Gregory would have aged nearly 20 years since he was my age, but the bloke wouldn't have it.

EDIT2: I also got 'papped' once in London. Don't know who he thought I was but this paparazzi type appeared from nowhere, fired off a dozen clicks on his camera, thanked me and disappeared as quickly as he'd appeared.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 24, 2021, 09:35:32 AM

And because I wear specs, Chris Fucking Evans. Not even the actor one.

To this day it really bugs me that when I did a presentation for a disability organisation just after the start of the century, I was asked beforehand to provide a description over the phone of what I look like (so I could be identified on the day) and mentioned having red hair and specs. To which the person on the other end brightly said: "Just like Chris Evans!" I sighed and said: "I suppose so." No point arguing. I know from experience.

Now I was used to that but the thing that got to me is that it was somehow translated into: "Jockice, who really thinks he looks exactly like Chris Evans." I know this because during the day several people came up to tell me that I didn't really look as much like Chris Evans as I apparently thought I did. A bit obviously they said but I wasn't the lookalike contest winner that people were expecting. If the two of us were together people would be able to tell us apart. And not only because like The Proclaimers, he's much taller than me. They sounded a bit disappointed. Selfies weren't as common then, but it was like they expected to be able to take a picture of me then tell everyone that they had actually met Chris Evans.

I know. I think I look fuck all like Chris Evans (apart from the obvious hair and specs bits) but that was the go-to comparison/insult for most of the 90s.

And on a similar note in the early 90s (before Evans was famous) I told a record company press officer I was meeting at a show that I'd been told I look like a cross between Rick Astley and Edwyn Collins (which I had several times) but when I met her she too seemed disappointed and said: "You don't look like either of them!" Sorry. But like most people don't choose their own nicknames, most people don't get to choose who they get told they look like either.

Swoz_MK

Henry Rollins, but apparently only in one specific photo

Jockice

Quote from: SteveDave on April 26, 2021, 12:21:17 PM
My first girlfriend thought I looked like Tim from Ash. Another girl thought I looked like Richard Ashcroft. I was once mistaken for Gruff Rhys whilst I was wearing very baggy jeans. He's about 3 foot taller than me though.

The woman I lost my virginity to  said I looked like either 'the singer of' or 'him out of' UB40.. And sounded like Billy Connolly. A winning combination though.

*The reason I'm not sure because a few years later I started working with and became mates with someone who actually does look like (a non ginger) Ali Campbell. I told him this story and he sneered at it (and rightfully so. He looks much more like Campbell than I do) so it started me thinking I might have misheard her and she thought I looked like another member of UB40. Astro perhaps.

El Unicornio, mang

When I was in America and had my hair in the 60s style I would get told I look like Mick Jagger constantly.

Some others:
JJ Burnel
Tim Robbins
Topher Grace
Oasis (no particular member, just "you look like Oasis")
Tim Burgess
Kris Marshall
Serge Gainsbourg
Rowan Atkinson
Steve Buscemi (not a fan of these last three)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 27, 2021, 02:23:20 PM

Steve Buscemi

One of the most attractive women I've ever met had a HUGE thing for Buscemi and was attracted to any men who bore even a passing resemblance to him.

Fr.Bigley

I get  a combination of Christian Bale/Liam Neeson. Fuck knows. All the time.