Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anachronistic Racist Language in 2021

Started by Chedney Honks, April 24, 2021, 07:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: flotemysost on April 28, 2021, 12:21:42 AM
you can't just decide what race someone is
You can, of course (given the nature of 'race', it's arguably hard to make anything other than what category people think you fall into). It's just not a good idea to use it in place of self-defined ethnicity, or for pretty much anything other than the crudest kind of identification (being generous).

touchingcloth

Call them boy cylinders and girl cylinders.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 27, 2021, 11:38:21 PM
It was in my Exexcel GCSE Anthology in the "poems from other cultures and traditions" section, which I remember also had Tom Leonard's Six O'Clock News, and John Cooper Clarke's I Wanna Be Yours. The exotic Salfordian.

I don't remember Agard being responsible for an uptick in the use of half-caste to describe darker people, as that's something I think featured more heavily pre-GCSE. Agard was responsible for kids shouting "Excuse me! Standing on one leg" a lot, though. Which is still a phrase which goes through my head when people do something outrageous.

We had it in GCSE English. If I remember the exam board sent out a load of texts then the teacher/school chose the texts to study on the exam so a lot of the stuff in the book got unused depending on what classes were studying.

I mostly remember it because of the teacher trying to explain what the exclamation "ah rass!" meant without translating it into something rude. And although most of us were familiar with uses of 'rass' in music and knew what that meant, weren't too sure of the exact meaning of when it's used as an exclamation on its own.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 28, 2021, 05:18:34 AM
similarly "master bedroom" - dodgy perhaps

When we were house shopping a couple years ago, some were listed as 'Owner's Suite' which may not be far enough away from mbr.

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 28, 2021, 08:47:35 AM
Call them boy cylinders and girl cylinders.

https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/knowledge-base/what-is-the-difference-between-male-and-female-connectors/

QuoteThe difference between Male and Female connectors is simple. Just like people the Male has a sticking out "pin" which he plugs into something. The Females on the other hand have a "hole" in which to receive something, usually a "pin"!

JaDanketies

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 28, 2021, 05:18:34 AM
similarly "master bedroom" - dodgy perhaps

We were talking the other day about manhole being a gendered word - presumably the etymology is that it's a hole that a man goes down.

They shouldn't simply call it a 'personhole'; the male bias in English language has been going on for too long. They should go the whole way and call it a 'womanhole'.

Buelligan

Or go mad, call it an access hole, sewer entrance or just a fucking hole.  On the other hand, arsehole could work.

evilcommiedictator

Woke kids have forced SATA drives into computers, replacing IDE drives that you could configure in a master/slave relationship just by wearing a jumper

Sebastian Cobb

I think most bioses have referred to it as primary/secondary for nearly 30 years.

I was quite surprised to see that during the git renaming forks of master were actually considered slaves rather than it being a 'master copy', perhaps even in that terminology slave applied but remained generally unspoken. I dunno.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 28, 2021, 09:58:05 AM
We had it in GCSE English. If I remember the exam board sent out a load of texts then the teacher/school chose the texts to study on the exam so a lot of the stuff in the book got unused depending on what classes were studying.

I mostly remember it because of the teacher trying to explain what the exclamation "ah rass!" meant without translating it into something rude. And although most of us were familiar with uses of 'rass' in music and knew what that meant, weren't too sure of the exact meaning of when it's used as an exclamation on its own.

Our English teacher at the time was probably about 35, but saw himself as down with the kids. He read that poem to us in his earnest attempt at a cool creole, proper shirtsleeves rolled up, one foot propped up on a chair stuff, one hand clutching the Edexcel anthology with the spine folded back on itself, the other hand held splayed and upwards as if in prayer and jigged up and down for emphasis. "Ah! Rass!" Incredible scenes.

To help us get on board with writing analysis of poetry, for homework one time we were allowed to choose any song we liked and prepare a presentation about it. I can still remember Alex West saying "Gallagher makes use of rhyming, i.e. 'back best the word is on the street'", and about ten kids writing "alliteration: the mother fuckers forgot about Dre" on the board of colour.

Didn't see that one coming, sir, did you? Ah, raaaassssssss.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 28, 2021, 11:54:13 AM
https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/knowledge-base/what-is-the-difference-between-male-and-female-connectors/

Would make sense for pistons and cylinders, but I'm saying the cylinders should be named boy and girl cylinders. One for the big one, another for the small one. Should be obvious which one is which.

touchingcloth

I was looking for spray paint in Leroy Merlin yesterday, and was slightly alarmed to see this on the shelves:

I didn't have a clue what "betume" was, but "Judaico" is "Jewish". Google translate told me that betume = bitumen, and more searching led to Wiktionary telling me that an obsolete English word for bitumen or asphalt is "Jew's pitch".

Is this cool? I can't imagine tarring Jews with the, er, tar brush is cool.

Kankurette

Cuellar

Apparently called that because you'd get a lot of bitumen in that region, around the Dead Sea. And the Dead Sea used to be called the Asphaltite Lake.