Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:31:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Student disco suggestions

Started by Dusty Substance, April 24, 2021, 03:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

After twelve months of hardly any DJing (two in the last year), I've been asked to do a weekly Student Disco night at a local venue.

Although the notion of a Student Disco is a little out my remit (I usually go for a 70s disco/80s,90s pop kind of vibe), I leapt at the chance after such a long drought of disc spinning.

So I'm looking for recommendations and suggestions for what a Student Disco means to you. Of course, student discos have always changed, depending on what year someone was at college or uni, but there have always and will always be staple bands and songs.

I'm a vinyl only DJ, so most of my stuff will be from the 70s-90s but so far this is the kind of selection I've thought about so far:

Talking Heads
The Cure
The Smiths
MGMT
Franz Ferdinand
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
The Strokes
Blondie
LCD Soundsystem
Belle & Sebastian
Bowie
Iggy Pop
The Clash
blur

Who else? Which other essential bands and songs would you expect to hear at a Student Disco?

Thanks.

BlodwynPig

Black Lace - P&O is school-disco memory of mine, along with Livin La Vida Loca and the Friends theme.

Jockice

Every student disco I've been to in my life (and lest we forget although I left school in 1984 I had mates from there who went to university then I was a mature student in the late 90s and early 2000s who would occasionally go to such events just to be sociable) has played Blue Monday.  Every single one

Glebe

There's a top pop group called Buck's Fizz, hey they're really cool!

Pauline Walnuts

What are the real floor fillers they play at Bang Face these days?

And Abba's Dancing Queen.

chveik

lazyhour

The Bangles: Walk Like An Egyptian
Fleetwood Mac: Everywhere
Bruce Springsteen: Dancing In The Dark

And something off Hotter Than July. These young students seem to gravitate towards that particular Stevie LP. It's the one you see in Urban Outfitters. Funny, cos it used to be worth about a pound.

Epic Bisto

Two Man Sound - Charlie Brown
Two Man Sound - Que Tal America
Lou & The Hollywood Bananas - Kingston Kingston

Absorb the anus burn

Liquid Liquid - Cavern.
Magazine - Shot By Both Sides.
B.A.D - E=MC2.

gib

monkfromhavana

The Mollusk

Something off those two most recent shite Tame Impala albums

rue the polywhirl

Chainsmokers - Something Just Like This (with Coldplay)
Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
Old Town Road - Lil Nas X
Now That's What I Call Music 101-108

imitationleather

Introduce them to some real music and play the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon all night.

Pauline Walnuts

Rock n' Roll Part 1.

And part 2.

Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride

Seriously, Gen Z love it.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: imitationleather on April 25, 2021, 01:13:55 PM
Introduce them to some real music and play the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon all night.

Introduce? They've probably already got it. On vinyls.

peanutbutter

Prob lean a bit heavier into pop, feel like the indie heavy era of the Smiths/Strokes/etc in student discos has surely (thankfully) died?

From the last decade or so maybe...
Grimes
the Weeknd
Bicep (just Glue)
Dua Lipa
Kendrick
Charli XCX
Carly Rae
Caroline Polacheck
Frank Ocean
the 1975 (they have some good singles)

Rather grimly the Eagles seem to be quite popular with very normie gen z types too, not sure anything by them would fit a student disco though

the ouch cube

Mr Brightside is still inexplicably considered essential at every student union I've ever been in.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Jockice on April 24, 2021, 06:58:21 PM
Every student disco I've been to in my life (and lest we forget although I left school in 1984 I had mates from there who went to university then I was a mature student in the late 90s and early 2000s who would occasionally go to such events just to be sociable) has played Blue Monday.  Every single one

Nice one. Blue Monday is a must. I've also got a few Blue Monday mash-ups that would work well at a student night.

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 24, 2021, 07:19:49 PM
And Abba's Dancing Queen.

Thing is, I fucking love ABBA and know that they are no longer seen as the "cheesy" disco band you'd hear at a 70s night where the DJ might wear a multi-coloured afro, but I still find it difficult to separate the sound of Dancing Queen from a gaggle of Karens on a hen night. As much as I love them, I'm not sure if they'd fit into a student night.

Quote from: lazyhour on April 24, 2021, 09:51:27 PM
The Bangles: Walk Like An Egyptian
Fleetwood Mac: Everywhere
Bruce Springsteen: Dancing In The Dark

I've spun all these at various nights over the years and they've always gone down well with the kids, Bangles less so but it can still get a great reaction.

Quote from: gib on April 25, 2021, 12:02:43 AM
are they really old students

Not sure. I'm assuming they'll all be 18-22 but there's bound to be one or two older student.

Quote from: peanutbutter on April 25, 2021, 09:15:12 PM
Prob lean a bit heavier into pop, feel like the indie heavy era of the Smiths/Strokes/etc in student discos has surely (thankfully) died?

From the last decade or so maybe...
Grimes
the Weeknd
Bicep (just Glue)
Dua Lipa
Kendrick
Charli XCX
Carly Rae
Caroline Polacheck
Frank Ocean
the 1975 (they have some good singles)

Rather grimly the Eagles seem to be quite popular with very normie gen z types too, not sure anything by them would fit a student disco though

Thank you! This is the kind of answer I was looking for.

Quote from: the ouch cube on April 26, 2021, 11:49:15 AM
Mr Brightside is still inexplicably considered essential at every student union I've ever been in.

Don't own any Killers albums on vinyl but I've been eyeing up their singles collection. Might buy it especially for the student nights.

Cheers, everyone. I'll ignore the helpful quips about Birdie Song, Rolf Harris etc*. Great work :)

(Although, I would fucking love to drop Rock n Roll Pt.1&2 one night. If Simon Price can get away with it, why can't I?)

SteveDave

Students read love s4c stuff like "Africa" by Toto. Just play that all night and they'll be Tik-Tokking the fuck out the place and saying it's so random.

lazyhour

boki

Quote from: lazyhour on April 27, 2021, 11:01:16 AM
Africa is fantastic though?
If there's going to be Lynx, I'd go for Intuition

I'll see myself out

SteveDave

Quote from: lazyhour on April 27, 2021, 11:01:16 AM
Africa is fantastic though?

It is not a song for dancing. It's a song for laying down and avoiding.

Dr Rock

Groove Is In The Heart
Billy Jean
I Want You Back
Louie Louie
Heart Of Glass
Lust For Life
Rapper's Delight (and you can have a piss break)
Tainted Love (Soft Cell or Gloria Jones)
Let Your Love Flow
More Than A Feeling>Smells Like Teen Spirit