Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Returnal

Started by Timothy, April 25, 2021, 09:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

New PS5 game coming out next week. A roguelike made by the developers that previously made Resogun.
Previews are good, saying the game makes good use of Dualsense and 3D audio.

I'm still not sure. It seems good but it's quite expensive (70 euros).

Anyone else here thinking about buying the game?

BlodwynPig

Don't have a ps5, and as much as I love Housemarque, I'm not sure I'd cough up 70 quid without a demo.

The gaming forum chumps have got their rosary beads out, fretting that this is going to set a precedent for 70 quid games on console.
If you want to vote with your wallet, game just looks like Risk of Rain 2's older, mopey brother to me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLNqCrCtWs
https://store.steampowered.com/app/632360/Risk_of_Rain_2/

Will be very interested to hear what you think Timothy! I think I'd like to play it.

Bazooka

If I had a PS5 yes, but would wait for a price reduction, I do like the look of it.

QuoteIf you want to vote with your wallet, game just looks like Risk of Rain 2's older, mopey brother to me :D

Without going off topic too much, I have RoR2 sitting on hard drive still untouched for over a year, but I hear good things.

Chedney Honks

It looks like a AA game with AAA production values at an AAAA price, like Demon's Souls. Hopefully it's as good as Demon's Souls on that basis. I'll wait for a sale, though.

brat-sampson

If I had a PS5, I'd definitely be interested, but never at that price. I mean... Oof.

madhair60

It's about twenty quid cheaper on the US PSN store

Timothy

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on April 25, 2021, 10:37:01 AM
Don't have a ps5, and as much as I love Housemarque, I'm not sure I'd cough up 70 quid without a demo.

The gaming forum chumps have got their rosary beads out, fretting that this is going to set a precedent for 70 quid games on console.
If you want to vote with your wallet, game just looks like Risk of Rain 2's older, mopey brother to me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLNqCrCtWs
https://store.steampowered.com/app/632360/Risk_of_Rain_2/

Will be very interested to hear what you think Timothy! I think I'd like to play it.

Risk of Rain looks like lots of fun. Gonna see if it's on Xbox to try it out.

I won't buy Returnal on release, it's just too expensive. Might buy it secondhand instead.

I don't see 70 pounds going to be the norm (it's 80 euros here!) but it's going to stay for the next couple of months. I read somewhere that for every 3 PS5's sold they only sold one game so think a lot of people are the same now and just wait for games to be cheaper.

TrenterPercenter

Just pre-ordered it; it looks likes its got everything I want from a game and not buying any games since I got DS I think I can absorb the £20. I'm not happy about it though.

TrenterPercenter

OK played about 30 mins of it.

It is seriously fucking good.  Absolute must for dark sci-fi fans absolutely nails the dreading Aliens atomosphere.  Absolutely brilliant and the adaptive triggers oh man they are so good.  Don't want to comment too much more as not far into it but you can tell for the early stages this is going to be great it's just got that Dark Souls kindof "yeah we've thought about this and how we want you to feel during your time with us, you are in safe hands" feel about it all.  Will report back when played a but more.

TrenterPercenter

OK have played a good few hours and it's incredible.  Beautiful trippy graphics, moody, oppressive, nerve wracking atmosphere and gameplay that is an intuitive frantic joy.  I've no idea what I'm doing most of the time but that is all by design; it's teasing and drip feeding you lore and information to really capture the holy fuck element of being lost and "returning" to being lost again and again.  It's like a beautiful nightmare.  Next generation has definitely arrived; so much going for this game.

Mini Chedders you've been calling out for a game to break the mould and this is it; your love of SMUPS will be satiated; the game is pretty much made for you.  Just got to what I think is the first level boss; think Sekiro with guns and you just want to sit back and gawp at the wonderful neon hell coming towards you.  Hands down best game I've played in ages.  £70 is too much for any game mind but that aside it is top drawer and an instant cult classic just watch.  100% buy I'd say; if you are waiting for the sale just avoid anything with spoilers or any long discussions about it you want to go in cold.

If only Ridley Scott had spoken to these guys before embarking on the Aliens sequels.

madhair60

Yeah game's a fucking banger. Proper game. The clip of the thing is immense. So responsive.

Timothy

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 01, 2021, 12:00:52 AM
OK have played a good few hours and it's incredible.  Beautiful trippy graphics, moody, oppressive, nerve wracking atmosphere and gameplay that is an intuitive frantic joy.  I've no idea what I'm doing most of the time but that is all by design; it's teasing and drip feeding you lore and information to really capture the holy fuck element of being lost and "returning" to being lost again and again.  It's like a beautiful nightmare.  Next generation has definitely arrived; so much going for this game.

Mini Chedders you've been calling out for a game to break the mould and this is it; your love of SMUPS will be satiated; the game is pretty much made for you.  Just got to what I think is the first level boss; think Sekiro with guns and you just want to sit back and gawp at the wonderful neon hell coming towards you.  Hands down best game I've played in ages.  £70 is too much for any game mind but that aside it is top drawer and an instant cult classic just watch.  100% buy I'd say; if you are waiting for the sale just avoid anything with spoilers or any long discussions about it you want to go in cold.

If only Ridley Scott had spoken to these guys before embarking on the Aliens sequels.

SOLD.

Game arrives Tuesday.

Thursday

Heard the game is challenging??? Pretty sure that's ableism. Is there no accessibility option where you can just load it up and win? No excuse for not doing that in 2021.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Timothy on May 01, 2021, 08:30:57 AM
SOLD.

Game arrives Tuesday.

Good work; I've literally only got the first boss just now for the second time (he is a right arse); it is really hard but because it is procedural no two runs are the same and I've not really felt anything but that good frustrated I used to get from Dark Souls.  Just had a really cool bit which I won't do any spoilers about but there is loads of stuff going on an evolving in the world around whilst you are dying and coming back.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Thursday on May 01, 2021, 02:05:15 PM
Heard the game is challenging??? Pretty sure that's ableism. Is there no accessibility option where you can just load it up and win? No excuse for not doing that in 2021.

It is tough but fair; I've seen people moaning about the "runs" I.e. get a bad run and it I impossible get a good run and it is easy.  Not true it is difficult whatever the case and without giving things away there are ways you can upgrade and improve your chances on each run.  It is all about reflexes though it is essentially a bullet hell so you need to be weaving bobbing and remembering enemy fire patterns all the time; it's get though it handles so well and as mentioned the dual sense adaptive feedback is just brilliantly down not really a spoiler but
Spoiler alert
your left adaptive trigger is hard locked mid way down do resting your finger lightly aims your weapon whilst clicking it all the way in engages your alt weapon its brilliantly intuitive so you don't have two different buttons to press and can concentrate on your flow
[close]

Pdine

I am enjoying this so much, despite being shit at it. Yet to beat the first boss, but the Metroid Prime vibes/references make it a joy.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pdine on May 01, 2021, 09:52:18 PM
I am enjoying this so much, despite being shit at it. Yet to beat the first boss, but the Metroid Prime vibes/references make it a joy.

Ha same I've been stuck on the first level for two days! Still great though

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pdine on May 01, 2021, 09:52:18 PM

Btw might be worth looking up a few 10 things you need to know etc... as I just worked out there are a few things that can help your runs from the off but never knew.

Chedney Honks

I think I read this is meant to have lots of roguelike elements so it's a shame I missed out by completing it first go :(

Great game, though. Still feels like a Housemarque control scheme, very tight and polished, but it's more exciting to me than their twin-stick stuff. Atmospherically, it reminds me of the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne. It lacks an explicit identity but the deeper you go, the more the iconography and statuary get under your skin. There's an ineffable malevolence which haunts even the quiet moments. I expect it looks fantastic on anything but all the thick shadows and quartz architecture are incredible on an OLED screen, and the bullets and particles look spectacular without being ostentatiously hot. They look like they belong in the world rather than the devs prodding you every couple of seconds to say 'HDR HDR HDR'. The haptics are also excellent, up there with Demon's in terms of subtlety and impact, and the use of the triggers feels like the first iteration of a new standard for pad controls.

MH Rise is still the best thing I've played this year but I'll really look forward to another run through when the time comes.

Timothy

Completed it in one go?! How on earth did you manage to accomplish that! The game is supposed to be incredibly difficult.

How long did that one run take you?

brat-sampson

Honkers shits schmups for breakfast, then eats them for lunch, but still... :o

madhair60

Quote from: Timothy on May 03, 2021, 07:41:05 AM
Completed it in one go?! How on earth did you manage to accomplish that! The game is supposed to be incredibly difficult.

How long did that one run take you?

He did it one-handed too, while performing devastating high kicks

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chedney Honks on May 03, 2021, 07:36:58 AM
I think I read this is meant to have lots of roguelike elements so it's a shame I missed out by completing it first go :(

TrenterPercenter

btw I'm still on the first level.

But Mini Chedders is talking shite; you can't complete it without dying for one.

TrenterPercenter

Just beat the first level boss; managed to get a few key items all in one run and managed to finish him of with a quarter of of life to spare.  The game is mint and I'm only just on the second level; not convinced Chedders has got it as I think he wouldn't be shutting up about it.

Quote from: brat-sampson on May 03, 2021, 08:11:34 AMHonkers shits schmups for breakfast, then eats them for lunch

Most people are happy with a 1cc. Honks always goes that extra mile.
8cc? 10cc? Absolutely no problem.

I got my ps4 set up again recently and rebought resogun since it's on sale - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA00005_00-RESOGUN000000001
I know it's not a ps5 and returnal :( My mam said if I just be myself you'd probably still let me in the clubhouse.

I've never been a big fan of the dualshock controllers and I think that's why I didn't fall in love with it as much as I did nex.
Tried it on a 360 pad, still nothing. Plugged in my stick. Suddenly everything made sense! It's only disguised as a twin stick game! It's dead good fun!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 03, 2021, 11:10:45 PM
I got my ps4 set up again recently and rebought resogun since it's on sale - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA00005_00-RESOGUN000000001
I know it's not a ps5 and returnal :( My mam said if I just be myself you'd probably still let me in the clubhouse.

Of course the more the merrier;  It don't think Returnal is really like Resogun though; or Control for that matter; Chonks is on the  money here with Bloodbornes Chalice Dungeons (ish) but it keeps putting me in mind of that retro arcade Space Harrier.

It isn't anything really like Control as I've heard said a lot; I'd say though overall it is pretty unique - it's got elements of all these games (and Hades; DeadSpace) but it is different. 

I'll be very surprised if Chonks completed it in one go; I've seen few bell ends on Reddit saying the same so I think it is just a memey kind-of thing; I imagine it is possible but unlikely without some kind of serious research into what everything does and meticulous planning that would render it quite a dull affair.

No, you're right, it's nothing like resogun, just that's by housemarque too and honks was talking about their "twin stick" games and I thought I'd mention it since it's on sale at the minute and I got it again and realised that it's not really a twin stick game after all!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 04, 2021, 09:24:49 AMDeadSpace

Yeah! Dead space had a baby with risk of rain 2 from the little clips I've seen.

No, chonks didn't complete it first go.
I think some folk on here might have taken his mock self aggrandizing at face value over the years :D

Even the best shooty roguelites tend to rely a bit too heavily on the old "get out of jail free" dash button with a tiny cooldown to the extent where you see all these lovely bullet patterns you're going to have to dodge and then you just end up diving past and i-framing through the lot of them.
Does this have that "problem" or is it tastefully done?
Does the camera angle give you enough situational awareness?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 04, 2021, 09:59:02 AM
Does this have that "problem" or is it tastefully done?
Does the camera angle give you enough situational awareness?

Dash has about a 2 second cool down, you can spam it to a degree but you'll quickly find yourself covered in bullet hell; enemies (so far for me I'm only on the 2nd biome) tend to come in pairs in which one will fire patterns of relatively easy to dodgy bullets and another that has a tracker beam that takes a bit of time to load but will guarantee a hit if you don't either; shoot it, get behind something or run, dash and zig zag out of the way for a considerable amount of time - with everything else gong on the latter can become least feasible.  I'd say it is pretty tastefully done.

The camera angle is great in the main; however you can get side swept if you are not looking around enough; tiniest of ting spoilers but
Spoiler alert
for every few kills you receive something called adrenaline there are 5 levels each improving aspects of your combat and the second one is enhanced vision letting you see enemies that are obscured by the environment
[close]
.  It's all case of getting into a good old arcadey type flow and keeping your wits about you and trying to keep your cross hairs on the target whilst avoiding everything else.  It is very satisfying and there is a lot more too it that this with the item variations; alt weapons and weapon perks that change things up.

It is very good; I think another good shout for a similar kindof thing (in a way) is the God of War Niflheim trials; it really isn't anything like Control imo (though I really like that game).