Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:50:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Returnal

Started by Timothy, April 25, 2021, 09:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ah right, that does sound good!
I don't know how long it'll be before I get a ps5 but it's definitely the first game I'll get!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 04, 2021, 12:58:30 PMI think another good shout for a similar kindof thing (in a way) is the God of War Niflheim trials; it really isn't anything like Control imo (though I really like that game).

I haven't played those, sorry. I'm none the wiser.

Does everyone start off on equal footing each run, or is there permanent progression?
That thing you spoilered, does that carry over between runs or is everything reset?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 04, 2021, 02:05:40 PM
Ah right, that does sound good!
I don't know how long it'll be before I get a ps5 but it's definitely the first game I'll get!

I haven't played those, sorry. I'm none the wiser.

Does everyone start off on equal footing each run, or is there permanent progression?
That thing you spoilered, does that carry over between runs or is everything reset?

it will hopefully have come down in price then; I have no doubt it is going to be a cult classic but I think it's difficulty will put a lot of people off.

Everyone starts with the same side arm and no equipment you do not build life or damage this is all reset
Spoiler alert
kindof; you have some permeant stuff you unlock (think major things like a melee attack and things that open doors allow guns to use alt fire basic things really but you have to find and earn them rather then them always being in the main objective - but the main bulk of equipment is lost on restart; you progress by unlocking items and weapons; and weapon mods that can then appear in the world - it is exquisitely balanced and there are a dunno 100 items+ that you can unlock; these items really do help and there are parasites and malignant items that give with one hand and take with the other so you have to decide if it is worth it or not
[close]

there is also some challenge thing which plays you off against other players but I've not done this yet

TrenterPercenter

Bazooka

If you have a USB keyboard you can access some console cheats; video linked in article, I've not played so don't know how useful this is to anyone.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/05/random_dev_cheat_codes_discovered_in_returnal_let_you_spawn_weapons_and_re-roll_biomes

TrenterPercenter

They've patched it out now; I could have refused the update but I'm not sure what the fun in that is to cheat a game like this.

This game freaking hard though; I play everything on hard mode if there is an option and have completed all your infamous hard games (Sekiro, DS1,2,3 and Bloodborne) but this is quite something.  I am still moping about in the second biome and have just got to it's boss (ffs it is ridiculous); I feel I can do it but I will have keep learning how to reserve life and not make mistakes - everything is on a knife edge in this game down to the massive impact it has on your attack if you get hit once (and it is seriously so easy to get hit).  As the game goes on the item system comes more and more into play I can see (it's just like Hades in this respect for those that have played that).

It's great though; that familiar oh fuck feeling that the soulsborne games gave me back in the day; the dread of open a door and walking into some that that is juts going to annihilate you.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Timothy on April 26, 2021, 06:38:05 AM
I read somewhere that for every 3 PS5's sold they only sold one game so think a lot of people are the same now and just wait for games to be cheaper.
Also, most PS5s sold are sat unopened in scalpers' garages.

Thank you for answering my daft questions, trenter! I read your reply when I was in a rush and left you hanging a bit there.
I like the sound of all of that!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 08, 2021, 09:23:46 AM
Thank you for answering my daft questions, trenter! I read your reply when I was in a rush and left you hanging a bit there.
I like the sound of all of that!

Best game I've played since Bloodborne.  A bit like Cheds I get really bored with games and the different worlds but same old mechanics etc... this game is genuinely innovative it's arcadey and challenging.  It is the true successor to the Soulsbornes if you ask me (Sekiro was great but it just felt wrong - this feels like Souls its the atmosphere and adrenaline it creates).

As you can tell I'm really really happy with it; not been invested in a game for a long time and this has perfectly scratched that itch.

.......also still stuck on level 2

Chedney Honks

Completed it after seven hours. Good game. Tenner an hour, albeit I got it for fifty quid off US PSN.

It's not 'bullet hell' by any stretch of the imagination. It's 'bullet minor obstacle'.

Very few people have any meaningful experience of bullet hell, which is why it's compared to bullet hell. If you could just press dash through a pattern in a bullet hell game, it wouldn't be called bullet hell.

"Returnal is a bullet hell roguelike"
No, it isn't. It's a roguelite third person shooter, but good on you for taking a swing there, mr games journalist.

You gonna complete it with all the different hats on to get your monies worth, honks?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chedney Honks on May 12, 2021, 08:30:25 PM
Completed it after seven hours. Good game. Tenner an hour, albeit I got it for fifty quid off US PSN.

It's not 'bullet hell' by any stretch of the imagination. It's 'bullet minor obstacle'.

Very few people have any meaningful experience of bullet hell, which is why it's compared to bullet hell. If you could just press dash through a pattern in a bullet hell game, it wouldn't be called bullet hell.

Nah not buying it.  Thought you completed it on your first try anyways.

TrenterPercenter

I just got to Biome 3 and it is ridiculous.  You can't "just dash" through everything; if Chedders had actually played it he would understand that your dash has a cool down so you can dodge and dash but later in the game there are parts were you have to dodge with the patterns; there are whole rooms in which your dash is disabled even (and then a whole other mechanic comes in which means you are having to do something else whilst doing those two actions).

The game is a masterpiece.  I seriously doubt Honks has got it, he's not really said anything about the game other than "pleted it" when there is a whole load of other incredible stuff going for the game.  It isn't a top down shump; you are playing in 3d so there is more to consider in regards to any bullet hell mechanics but as mentioned that is just part of why the game is brilliant.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 12, 2021, 10:18:59 PM
Nah not buying it.  Thought you completed it on your first try anyways.

I'm more interested in playing a game than talking about it online these days, that's all. Nothing more.

I agree with your Souls comparisons, though. First game to give me that feeling since The Ringed City DLC and it made me wonder whether the 'laser angels' were an influence. I definitely prefer this to Sekiro.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 12, 2021, 09:48:08 PM
"Returnal is a bullet hell roguelike"
You gonna complete it with all the different hats on to get your monies worth, honks?

If they patch in more unpredictable build variety that would bring me back. You know how a plodding Isaac run can suddenly go apeshit and come alive? I only really felt that once here, when I unlocked a particular weapon. It feels more like a short, spectacular Souls game and I mean that as high praise, but I don't feel the roguelike hook. I have had a few runs since finishing but I'm satisfied with it for now. I enjoyed every minute.

Souls-like to me is a game that copies the slow, methodical combat, but that's not the case here, is it? It's nice and nippy. It's not full of bullet sponge enemies and bosses that last for days?

Are you comparing it to souls in the way that it tells the story through it's world and drip feeds you lore through the items and stuff?

You have NOT finished returnal, young man. You're just showing off because you're tired.

Chedney Honks

Nothing to do with the mechanics or the world (although it does borrow from Bloodborne), it's more the tentative exploration and sense of threat. It does have bullet sponge bosses, in fact, but they're all quite different and very imposing. Maybe the best bits. Hard to put my finger on the Souls comparison exactly but it's what it feels like to me.

I really don't mind if anyone thinks I have or haven't finished it, but the idea that I would make it up is probably funny.

🤥🤥🤥

Edited in some relevant emojis.

See, that's better when you settle down and speak plainly.
You're a lovely boy. Everybody likes you!

Honks, if you did finish returnal, you would not just casually mention it as an aside under a pseudonym on a comedy forum.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 13, 2021, 08:40:35 AM
Souls-like to me is a game that copies the slow, methodical combat, but that's not the case here, is it? It's nice and nippy. It's not full of bullet sponge enemies and bosses that last for days?

Are you comparing it to souls in the way that it tells the story through it's world and drip feeds you lore through the items and stuff?

You have NOT finished returnal, young man. You're just showing off because you're tired.

It's Souls like in both the lore aspect and the dread factor.  You can play the game in two main styles quick and aggressive or slow and methodical.  This is baked into the design; essential if you are slow and methodical you will upgrade your equipment for future more challenging levels (Biomes) you can proceed to the next biome quite quickly once you have completed it so you could run through all of the areas quickly but you will be underpowered.  So this is basically how some people like to play souls with never increasing their souls level for a greater challenge.  Slower means more prepared but more time spent on runs.  The first Biome is quite expansive and
Spoiler alert
you can access the other levels once completed directly from them so you could go from 1 straight to 3 if you wanted
[close]

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chedney Honks on May 13, 2021, 09:01:16 AM
I really don't mind if anyone thinks I have or haven't finished it, but the idea that I would make it up is probably funny.

Well you told everyone you finished it on your first go before and made up some guff and about how because of this (your brilliance at the game which appears to be greater than what some of the best players are saying) you didn't get to experience any of the rougelike elements......

Yeah, I never do that on roguelites, always start from the beginning, even if you're not worried about score, you're forfeiting all the lovely gear you would have amassed on those early stages.

Alright for practise, I suppose, but I don't like practice, feels too much like homework.

Chedney Honks

Clump, you probably will finish it first go!

🤣🤣🤣

This has been a very representative forum chat all round.

druss

I completed it before I'd even played it.

Beat that.

Honks man, just calm down and be yourself.
I think a lot of your issues around forums stem from the way you act on them.
That parting list of complaints at the other place honestly read like your setlist.

Just have the courage to say what you mean. You don't have to hide behind layers of irony or wind folk up.
Of course I won't beat the game first go, why you say things like that?

You are genuinely one of the nicest people I've met online, but you can be infuriatingly mercurial!

Chedney Honks

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 13, 2021, 01:21:28 PM
You are genuinely one of the nicest people I've met online

Cheers. And likewise.

Catch you round.

TrenterPercenter

Chedders is legendary.  That is just fact.

But he still didn't plet Returnal in 7hrs

Timothy

Loving the game so far.

Any advice on Biome 3? It's so long that I'm out of any good items and health when I arrive at
Spoiler alert
the boss
[close]

Especially the
Spoiler alert
drones
[close]
keep ruining the runs.

Chedney Honks

Just dash through the bullets.

It's a rougelike. Just keep playing until you get lucky.

Timothy

I've managed to get to the
Spoiler alert
boss
[close]
in Biome 3. But the
Spoiler alert
third wave
[close]
of the
Spoiler alert
third boss fight is incredibly difficult.
[close]
. Finding it really difficult to
Spoiler alert
auto dash to the ledges, dodging / dashing the bullets and trying to shoot the boss at the same time. I've managed to come to to the third section of the fight quite easily but this is just too difficult. No items etc that can make this fight any easier.
[close]

TrenterPercenter

Spend a considerable amount of time in the first and second biomes getting all of the health upgrades
Spoiler alert
if you have full life all life pickups become resins
[close]
also get any shields, health vials and figurines you can.  It is doable, keep going.

Timothy

I managed to beat him! Not only that but
Spoiler alert
I killed the boss making music in the next biome in the same run!
[close]

This game is great.