Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chicken and chips

Started by Chedney Honks, April 25, 2021, 11:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: flotemysost on April 25, 2021, 07:12:43 PM
Big fan of Bonjardim in Lisbon. The chicken, chips and creamed spinach form a hat trick of savoury deliciousness. Kimchi sounds like a great addition though.

Ooh, this sounds nice. And Lisbon is next on our list for a city break should those ever be a thing ever again. Bookmarked.

seepage

Where can you get an OK chicken in UK, though? I'm not paying 40 quid for a poulet de Bresse.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: seepage on April 25, 2021, 08:23:17 PM
Where can you get an OK chicken in UK, though? I'm not paying 40 quid for a poulet de Bresse.

lots of places; you can order online and Sainsbury's do higher welfare/slower growing ones; expect to pay between £10-20 however for anything approaching decent.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Emma Raducanu

Used to have chicken, chips and beans for dinner. Stack of margarined white bread on the side with a selection of condiments.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 25, 2021, 08:34:35 PM
A slow grow chicken?

Aye; the cheaper farm ones are intensively farmed to get them up to weight earlier.

Emma Raducanu

Yes. The £3 ones you see in supermarkets actually pop when you cut into it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 25, 2021, 08:38:23 PM
Aye; the cheaper farm ones are intensively farmed to get them up to weight earlier.

Ah, fair enough. I suppose I would like my chicken to be happy and have a good frolic around before it gets killed and I eat it, regardless of price. Gambol. I'd like them to gambol.

Replies From View

Has there ever been a chicken that was eaten

steve98

Yes (They taste like... awwwwww you got me!)

touchingcloth

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 25, 2021, 05:54:50 PM
Just looked it up. Roberto's in Albufeira. I could have sworn I saw loads of them down there, but Google says there's only one.

I can see how a lot of them would give the impression of being in a chain - it's like fried chicken places in the UK tend to all have basically the same sign of a blue or red and white chicken, except here they're all variations on the Cock of Barcelos.

I've never been to the particular place in Albufeira, I'm always way too tempted with the Full English Breakfasts you can get in that town.

idunnosomename

just catch a pigeon and pump it full of cum

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 25, 2021, 09:26:34 PM
I can see how a lot of them would give the impression of being in a chain - it's like fried chicken places in the UK tend to all have basically the same sign of a blue or red and white chicken, except here they're all variations on the Cock of Barcelos.

I've never been to the particular place in Albufeira, I'm always way too tempted with the Full English Breakfasts you can get in that town.

Sardines are lush as well. Everywhere seemed to do them.

flotemysost

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 25, 2021, 09:34:56 PM
Sardines are lush as well. Everywhere seemed to do them.

I remember my uni flatmates thinking I was odd for eating sardines on toast as a hungover breakfast. Then I went to Portugal and felt SEEN (the ones over there are much nicer though, obvs).

mothman

My eldest makes this amazing fried chicken. Don't know what's involved but it involves marinading in pickle juice[nb]Being a teenager, she fails to think things through so the fridge is filling up with jars of dried or drying gherkins.[/nb] before coating in a batter and then seasoned flour. Very salty the first time we made it, so it's probably an American recipe.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

^ That's brining innit? Never tried it. Apparently the other American thing to do is to soak them in buttermilk before you coat it.

TrenterPercenter

I would also highlight the incredibleness of jerk chicken;  it is not traditionally eaten with chips but there is no reason why not and have some jerk chicken gravy with them.

mothman

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 25, 2021, 09:48:51 PM
^ That's brining innit? Never tried it. Apparently the other American thing to do is to soak them in buttermilk before you coat it.

Yes, you're probably right. And the chicken is very tender on eating! I think I once did try the buttermilk thing, but I couldn't really discern any effect it was having. I'll have to try that way again at some point, but have a control piece unsoaked...

Jittlebags

Here's my take:

One sachet of Nandos piri piri rub. Tablespoon each of cumin, paprika, chilli flakes, black pepper, teaspoon of garlic powder, some salt, enough oil to make it a paste, possibly a bit of water.

Skin on, bone in chicken thighs. They can be filleted quite easily putting an incision either side of the bone on the opposite side to the skin, then poking the knife through under the bone to remove it. Check for and remove any remaining bits of cartlidge or bone.

Apologies to vegetarian people for the above, but what are you doing in a chicken and chips thread?

Anyway, coat the filleted thighs in the paste, then cook on a roasting tray #5 for 45 mins.

As for the chips - you're on your own.

dr beat

Chips: Maris pipers, cut into preferred thickness leaving skin on. Get oven on at a high temp. Then par boil spuds until a bit soft. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a bit of rosemary in there.  Then 40 mins at the top of the oven on around 180.

Replies From View

I feel like the beak doesn't come away easily enough.  Do you use pliers or something?

Replies From View

touchingcloth

Quote from: dr beat on April 26, 2021, 02:12:01 AM
Chips: Maris pipers, cut into preferred thickness leaving skin on. Get oven on at a high temp. Then par boil spuds until a bit soft. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a bit of rosemary in there.  Then 40 mins at the top of the oven on around 180.

Tony Tony Tony

Oddly enough I was pondering on the humble chicken the other day. Given that on my walk into town I pass about five fried chicken places which invariably have da yoot outside chomping away then the supermarket has heaps more (chicken not yoot) where the fuck is all this chicken hiding before it reaches us?

Given the massive numbers of the buggers being consumed daily you would expect to see hordes wandering the plains. Whenever I venture into the countryside all I ever seem to see is sheep and cows and I don't even eat as many of them. C'mon farmers we should be told... where you hiding em?

imitationleather

Blue Jam

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 26, 2021, 10:02:16 AM
Given the massive numbers of the buggers being consumed daily you would expect to see hordes wandering the plains. Whenever I venture into the countryside all I ever seem to see is sheep and cows and I don't even eat as many of them. C'mon farmers we should be told... where you hiding em?

They have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in. And inside these big sheds are twenty-foot-high chickens, because of all the chemicals they've put in 'em, and these chickens are scared! They don't know why they're so big! They go "Oh, why am I so massive?" And they're looking down at all the other little chickens and they think they're in an aeroplane because all the other chickens are so small.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 26, 2021, 10:11:36 AM
They have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in. And inside these big sheds are twenty-foot-high chickens, because of all the chemicals they've put in 'em, and these chickens are scared! They don't know why they're so big! They go "Oh, why am I so massive?" And they're looking down at all the other little chickens and they think they're in an aeroplane because all the other chickens are so small.

Kind of depressing that apart from the twenty-foot-high bit this is an otherwise accurate description of intensive poultry rearing.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 26, 2021, 10:11:36 AM

Serves the feathery fecks right for not learning to fly more than three feet at a time. 

idunnosomename

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 26, 2021, 10:19:17 AM
Kind of depressing that apart from the twenty-foot-high bit this is an otherwise accurate description of intensive poultry rearing.
i think alan's main point was that farmers hide twenty-foot chickens.

chveik

Quote from: imitationleather on April 26, 2021, 10:03:47 AM
In massive warehouses.

there's one of those near my parents' house. it's horrible.