Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Album Art Done By A Musician, But Not Necessarily The Musician On The Album

Started by lazyhour, April 26, 2021, 12:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Just a bit of fun. Here's the cover of the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young compilation "So Far".

The fun bit is that it was drawn by Joni Mitchell!

Any other fun bits of album art done by a different, known musician? Or if there aren't any, you can just post that Bob Dylan album cover.

Thomas

Paul McCartney contributes a bloodstained driving glove to the Sgt. Pepper's cover.

SteveDave

Bob Dylan painted the cover of "Music From Big Pink" by The Band

Kankurette

I love Space, but Tommy Scott should never, ever be allowed to design the cover art. Case in point.

purlieu

As drawn by Graham Coxon.

Steven Stapleton - as Babs Santini - has done a lot of album art, lots of releases on his own United Dairies label plus related artists and friends like Coil, Current 93, Edward Ka-Spel, The Legendary Pink Dots and so on. He's done more album art than music, I think.

Rizla

The cover art to Split Enz's 8th LP was painted by long-departed band founder Phil Judd -

Not quite as striking as his work for their 1975 debut...

...which he later re-touched for the worldwide release in a CaB-friendly "Bald Revisionist" style -

Brundle-Fly

XTC's Andy Partridge came up with this old-time fun fair concept for Pugwash and drew up some rough sketches for artist, Andrew Swainson to create the final result. It's a very nifty 3D sleeve with Mad comic fold-in qualities.

"I'm a packaging whore!" - AP

buzby

Not albums, but Martha Ladly (the keyboard player of Martha & The Muffins and later The Associates) produced a couple of paintings for early New Order releases (she was in a relationship with Peter Saville at the time):
The '1981-82 EP' collection of their early singles for the US market (otherwise known as the FACTUS 8 EP):

The Factory Benelux FBN8 Everything's Gone Green 12" single (which was responsible for mixing up the names of Mesh & Cries And Whispers for the next 20 years):

During the time she was with Saville she also suggested titles to one of his other clients, OMD. Architecture & Morality was one of hers, as she was reading David Watkin's book "Morality + Architecture" at the time. In the mid-90s she joined Peter Gabriel's Real World Design and as well as working on his Xplora 1 multimedia project, sne also contributed sleeve designs for his Real World label over the follwoing 10 years.

dbs

Robin Finck of Nine Inch Nails/Guns n' Roses did some pen and ink art which Oceansize used on their third album

SpiderChrist

The picture cover of Sweet Exorcist  - Testone (Remixes) from 1990 features a Jarvis Cocker credit.

Kinda cheating, but Trevor Jackson who went on to record under the name Playgroup has designed many 12"/album covers over his career.

Pauline Walnuts

Those Soulwax covers were great.

Terrible music, but great covers. Bridget who?

Dr Rock

thenoise

There is Slint as photographed by Will Oldham, of course:

Quote from: purlieu link=topic=86664.msg4536142#msg4536142
Steven Stapleton - as Babs Santini - has done a lot of album art, lots of releases on his own United Dairies label plus related artists and friends like Coil, Current 93, Edward Ka-Spel, The Legendary Pink Dots and so on. He's done more album art than music, I think.

Stapleton did the infamous willy art on Whitehouse 'Erector' LP.

sutin