Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst rebrandings/rebadgeings

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 26, 2021, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The FT reports that Standard Life Aberdeen will change its name to Abrdn.

I wonder how much Standard Life Aberdeen spent on this decision, or dcisn.

The FT reports the logo was created by Wolff Olins.

Apparently the new name is pronounced Aberdeen and, according to the company, will create a "modern, agile, digitally enabled brand".

The Standard Life Aberdeen stock rose 1% in early trading today, or trdng.

https://www.ft.com/content/c5d2de1f-fe24-478a-89c4-358d25fbf1a7

What other crap rebrandings are there?

madhair60

Consignia and Scope?? It's the Royal Mail and the s*****c Society!!

JaDanketies

Do you recall Kellogg's botched attempt to rebrand Coco Popps as Choco Krispies back in 1999? I've still not recovered.

kittens

remember when coco pops changed to choco krispies in order to manufacture a campaign to change their name back to coco pops and sell more coco pops. and yet if i were to change my name to Choco Krispies no one would even notice let alone care. says a lot about this country.

kittens

Thank You JaDanketies for ruining my post

earl_sleek

Remember when Neil tried to rebrand this place as JokeTingz?

Blinder Data

maybe it was a fake attempted rebrand to boost PR. I struggle to believe anyone at Gap thought the redesign was better. it simply screams "boring software company"

popcorn

Quote from: kittens on April 26, 2021, 01:22:47 PM
remember when coco pops changed to choco krispies in order to manufacture a campaign to change their name back to coco pops and sell more coco pops.

Never know how much I believe these theories, I bet a lot of these things really are just crap rebranding efforts.

canadagoose

JaDanketies

Quote from: kittens on April 26, 2021, 01:23:25 PM
Thank You JaDanketies for ruining my post

Apparently they did it because they wanted to have the same brand internationally, which is also the case with Starburst / Opal Fruits, Gif / Cif and Marathon / Snickers, according to some listicle I just read.

earl_sleek

I was very young when Marathon became Snickers, and for a while I was convinced that Snickers was short for "Stephanie's knickers".

idunnosomename

the cif one was good because it stopped me ruining every shrove tuesday by covering my pancakes with mildly abrasive multi-purpose surface cleaner

dissolute ocelot

Abbey National becoming Santander. It was the result of a takeover but no reason not to continue the brand. Unless they could foresee that Santander sounds a bit like Ant And Dec and knew they had to get in their early to snare some Geordies. See also Norwich Union -> Aviva.

All the "Diet" drinks branding as "no sugar" or "sugar free" or in some cases first one then the other.

The reason behind Abrdn like a lot of them seems to be the fact that it's harder to trademark a British city than a completely madeup jumble of letters. So why not go the whole way and rename yourself to some squiggle?

Magnum Valentino

I reckon the Choco Krispies rebrand might have been to bring them in line with Rice Krispies and distance them from Corn Pops, which were a completely different kind of pop to the pops in Coco Pops (which were more like Krispies).

Dex Sawash

Rizla

Stinky Turner changing his name to Jefferson Turner as the lads cynically turned their backs on Oi! and tried to scoop up a bit of  NWOBHM action. Did Steve "'Arry" Harris and Garry Bushell put them up to it, down Upton Park, bragging about all the sex'n'drugs they were missing out on??

They would later take a further turn down wrong street with their ill-advised attempt to muscle in on the "unplugged" scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XABCeRX0SIc

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 26, 2021, 01:32:19 PM
Apparently they did it because they wanted to have the same brand internationally, which is also the case with Starburst / Opal Fruits

So how come they almost called them Chimpie Chompies?

paruses

Gentlemens - remember when snickers used to be called Opal fruits?

kittens

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 01:31:49 PM
Never know how much I believe these theories, I bet a lot of these things really are just crap rebranding efforts.

facts don't care about your feelings

Tony Tony Tony

Remember when Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson got rebadged as plain old Boris Johnson man of the people. Big success?

Blumf

sht
fr
cnts

Modern. Thrusting. Transistorised.

frajer

Jif -> Cif

Maybe now we've Brexited it'll change back to Jif. Well worth it lads, well worth it.

shiftwork2

Whatever it was that got renamed Clit Bang.  Might have been Jif lemons

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 26, 2021, 02:47:37 PM
Remember when Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson got rebadged as plain old Boris Johnson man of the people. Big success?

Anthony Anthony Anthony Linton Linton Linton Blair Blair Blair

Replies From View

I don't think I will ever cease ruing the day when HMV definitely changed its name to MVC and it wasn't a different company or something like that

bakabaka

Midland Bank became Hong Kong and Singapore Banking Corporation, then waited for over ten years after Hong Kong went back to the Chinese before waving the Union Jack to try to reclaim that 'traditional English High Street bank' image.