Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst rebrandings/rebadgeings

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 26, 2021, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

there was this really weird fashion a few years back for having these apples that were long and curved and yellow, and millennials were irritatingly calling them, let me just double-check what it was, oh yeah, "bananas"

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on April 26, 2021, 03:39:30 PM
there was this really weird fashion a few years back for having these apples that were long and curved and yellow, and millennials were irritatingly calling them, let me just double-check what it was, oh yeah, "bananas"

I think you'll find that those are avocados!!

steve98

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 26, 2021, 03:09:49 PM
Whatever it was that got renamed Clit Bang.  Might have been Jif lemons

CILIT BANG FACTS.

CB is not a re-brand. It was created from scratch in 2003 to rival arch-rival Mr Muscle.

CB has been used to clean Plutonium residue from the Dounreay nuclear plant in Caithness, Scotland (pic)

"Actor" Neil Burgess, who plays "Barry Scott", can't get non-CB work because casting directors assume he's a loud, annoying tit.

These are true Cilit Bang facts.

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 26, 2021, 02:01:31 PM
Abbey National becoming Santander. It was the result of a takeover but no reason not to continue the brand. Unless they could foresee that Santander sounds a bit like Ant And Dec and knew they had to get in their early to snare some Geordies. See also Norwich Union -> Aviva.

Banco Santander were big into international sports sponsorship and wanted to use the same name worldwide for maximum return on their advertising spend. Very cart before horse.

Quote from: bakabaka on April 26, 2021, 03:38:34 PM
Midland Bank became Hong Kong and Singapore Banking Corporation, then waited for over ten years after Hong Kong went back to the Chinese before waving the Union Jack to try to reclaim that 'traditional English High Street bank' image.

HSBC were another bank obsessed with sports sponsorship and, just like Santander, never asking the question "What if there's one or more financial crises and we can't afford to put stickers on racing cars and football shirts any more and all we're left with are names that nobody trusts?"

Dex Sawash

Apartments near work changed from Altavista to ALVISTA. nice pointless one

jobotic

Boris Johnson to be rebranded from Bozza to Jozza, an enquiry into corruption has recommended. I hope we can all move onnow.

DrGreggles

The Dust Brothers became the Chemical Brothers to avoid being confused with the Dust Brothers.
You'd have thought they'd have heard of them when they started.

Inspector Norse

Building managers for hospitals in Stockholm:

Decided they wanted a friendlier image one year:

seepage

Quote from: steve98 on April 26, 2021, 03:49:44 PM

"Be a love and get rid of that plutonium around the pipe, would you? Don't forget your Marigolds."

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: jobotic on April 26, 2021, 03:54:34 PM
Boris Johnson to be rebranded from Bozza to Jozza, an enquiry into corruption has recommended. I hope we can all move onnow.

BozzJozz good for BizzJizz.

frajer

Jozza says piles of corpses fantastic for British moral and sincerely hopes that anyone who disagrees likes being in a pile. BBC report highest ever Line of Duty ratings.

monkfromhavana

Emmerdale Farm to Emmerdale. Show lost its agrarian moorings at that point. Probably happened at around the time of BSE when farmer's weren't cool anymore.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 26, 2021, 05:04:34 PM
Emmerdale Farm to Emmerdale. Show lost its agrarian moorings at that point. Probably happened at around the time of BSE when farmer's weren't cool anymore.

The Bill went to shit when they did away with the blue-light cuts in the titles.

I know this was a joke in Early Doors but it did signify the beginning of the end.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 26, 2021, 04:21:26 PM
The Dust Brothers became the Chemical Brothers to avoid being confused with the Dust Brothers.
You'd have thought they'd have heard of them when they started.

That one always baffled me. Surely Ed and Tom were aware of Dust Brothers.

Captain Z

When Ministry Of Sound switched their logo from the official-looking, sharp-edged design:

To the naff rounded-edged version in the early 2000s:

JesusAndYourBush

Thomson changing to Tui (to bring it's name in line with what it's called in other countries) seemed a pretty awful decision as it's an awful name, but then after a good few months some bloody genius came up with the catchphrase "We cross the 'T's, dot the 'I's and put 'U' in the middle" so that saves the day, making the name less shit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Z on April 26, 2021, 05:21:48 PM
When Ministry Of Sound switched their logo from the official-looking, sharp-edged design:

To the naff rounded-edged version in the early 2000s:

Bottom looks better due to the lack of drop-shadow.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 26, 2021, 05:12:36 PM
That one always baffled me. Surely Ed and Tom were aware of Dust Brothers.

They were, they chose the name in homage, but then the original Dust Brothers told them to change their name or face a lawsuit.

Sebastian Cobb

When Central changed its idents to Carlton Central.

BeardFaceMan

But on the plus side, it gave them time to pack a lot more story in.

Cuellar

When the guy from the Lost Prophets rebranded as a massive paedophile.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 26, 2021, 05:30:40 PM
But on the plus side, it gave them time to pack a lot more story in.

Alright, Spudgun.

dissolute ocelot

Take The High Road became High Road. What is it with regional soaps?

Also, We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It.

Jockice

Honey Monster Puffs my arse. Not in my house they're not.

Sebastian Cobb