Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

St. Vincent's adventures into the carceral state

Started by sevendaughters, April 26, 2021, 08:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Annie "St. Vincent" Clark is BACK with a new album called DADDY'S HOME! She's playing a vampy Mia Farrow 70s style character in some of the vids and on the sleeve of the record. Look, unless you're on any badperson registers or with a weak heart:

First single was called 'Pay Your Way In Pain' and had a video that seemed very era-correct, right down to the lighting and the sounding not unlike 'Fame' by David Bowie! Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTu65AXrJw

Second teaser (I don't think anyone does singles now) was called 'The Melting of the Sun' - here's a very knowing performance on American institution and official hellmouth SNL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baklAZ2Rrt4

So far so whatever. Today brought news that her 'team' (someone paid to bully on her behalf and protect her from mundane work) had had an interview performed by the journalist Emma Madden pulled from the publication that commissioned it. Then later Madden tried to put it on her own blog, only for that to be pulled.

In the interview she goes into breezy items such as her dad's prison term, her non-thoughts on the carceral state, and what I have interpreted as a bit of a stab against 'woke culture', but in slightly more postgraddy terms.

Fortunately the internet never forgets, so here is it is: https://archive.is/wFkLN#selection-501.445-513.250

Neomod

Kankurette

Oh great. Good thing I'm not a massive fan. Also, telling interviewers to sit in a pink box? Fuck off, Annie.

crankshaft

Quote from: Kankurette on April 26, 2021, 08:41:57 PM
Oh great. Good thing I'm not a massive fan. Also, telling interviewers to sit in a pink box? Fuck off, Annie.

Imagine if she wasn't just Pitchfork famous but actually famous - she'd be an uncontrollable monster.

I like a lot of her older stuff but she thinks she's Bowie in the same way Grimes thinks she's Madonna, but neither of them have the nous, the talent or the intellect to approach that level of genius. Especially not Grimes.

Video Game Fan 2000

This is what the youngsters call 'cringe' isn't it.

Kankurette

She is a bloody good guitarist and I liked The Centre Won't Hold more than I thought I would, even though Janet Weiss left over the change in style. It's not the usual kind of Sleater-Kinney album, but it works. But she ain't Bowie.

GoblinAhFuckScary

chveik

peanutbutter

Quote from: chveik on April 27, 2021, 12:11:21 AM
what's the controversy exactly?

cheers
Her dad got ten years in jail for stock manipulations, her new album seems to be about this to some extent. She has described it as "white collar nonsense" https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/securities-attorney-and-former-stock-broker-each-sentenced-more-12-years-prison-43-million
The interviewer asked a lot  of questions about this, St Vincent gave pretty shit answers and sounds kind of dumb, she was likely not comfortable talking about it with that person.
She asked for it to be pulled as a result.

I'd say be ready to have pretty thick skin if you're going around promoting an album about your scummy stock market crook dad.

She's also just way overdue a backlash.

GoblinAhFuckScary

just kind of a non-issue isn't it tho. the interview is less cringe than it is dull really, and the cheeky allure of scandal is a lil embarrassing

anyway the vibe and single is bangin'. hope the album isn't shit. some of her work is fab x

peanutbutter

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 27, 2021, 12:52:40 AM
the interview is less cringe than it is dull really
yep, def think it's more that she's just gone out of style a bit and the aloof manner people used to project a kind of cool onto will now project less positive things instead.

RE: her music (in general, not this album), I've never gotten the appeal of it; but I seem to hate almost anything that gets labelled "art pop" these days

Goldentony

this is why you dont go near david byrne, he'll convince you to use polyrhythms and collaborate with fashion houses and then you'll suddenly forget a time when you knew how to wipe your own arse in a penthouse flat

sevendaughters

see I thought the deflection of the dad/jail stuff was fine (interesting) but this was a bit more 'oh here we go again'

QuoteI think that there's an intellectual orthodoxy that is involved in utopian thinking and a lot of times it doesn't allow for either a complex set of incentives or it doesn't allow for the totality of human nature in its equation, and then it fails and because the structure of any kind of power is really complicated so I think in general the desire... and I understand that we're living in, in some ways, I think just with the internet part of it, in some ways unprecedented times. And I understand people's desire for certainty in times economic strife, cultural upheaval, all this stuff. I completely understand the desire for certainty. But I don't think it's as simple as demanding moral purity and punishing anyone who doesn't fix the orthodox criteria.

Natnar

She does have a habit of contradicting herself in interviews so you never really know if she's talking bollocks or not.

It's truly incredible that in a hypothetical dispute between "musicians" and "music journalists" a large number of people on Twitter actually seem to expect me to side with music journalists.

Kankurette

sevendaughters

Quote from: Kankurette on April 27, 2021, 08:17:41 PM
How is that TERFy?

it's not QED, granted, but there is definitely a suspiciousness to a public figure declaring that they like famous transphobe Ricky Gervais' public speaking.

Thomas

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 27, 2021, 03:34:09 PM
Music journos not the best even if they're not a homogenous group, that said St. V has form

I like St. Vincent a lot, but I did unfollow her on Insta after she reposted that wordy 'these days' passage (full article here). Not out of offence or intolerance or any of those things typical of the modern left, but because she's a bit too cool for school.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 27, 2021, 03:34:09 PM
Music journos not the best even if they're not a homogenous group, that said St. V has form
https://twitter.com/lorenacupcake/status/1386728560950394880?s=19&fbclid=IwAR2K2ZUompo0zM-ag8qAYyzrY_lYWQabX7D7XspmKgjZFZLmtiZWQycawVM

fuck me that insta post is actually intensely embarrassing to read

how can anyone use the phrases 'double think' and 'thought police' with sincerity

Got into her just after Strange Mercy, and was absolutely OBSESSED with it. Which is a shame, because nearly everything since has been disappointing. A few songs from SM were clearly about her father - the title track, and Year of the Tiger immediately come to mind. Her lyrics used to be a lot more ambiguous, and for me, more enjoyable.

I thought the Grammy-winning self titled album was crap - first half good, second half like Garbage B sides, and as a result only skimmed around the edges of the next one. A few decent tunes, but couldn't be arsed to dive in having been put off by the previous one.

In terms of the current one, if you're going to attempt some musical chameleon act (fine by me, and inevitable I won't like every move along the way), then it's probably best not to wholesale lift another chameleon's entire appearance and sound - specifically that of Bowie's blue-eyed soul era.

Actor and Strange Mercy are great. The rest mostly wouldn't get my attention if I weren't already invested.

Ornlu

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 28, 2021, 09:28:05 AM
there is definitely a suspiciousness to a public figure declaring that they like famous transphobe Ricky Gervais' public speaking.

Ah c'mon. Can't we be satisfied that all that means is she has shit comedy taste?

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 28, 2021, 09:28:05 AM
it's not QED, granted, but there is definitely a suspiciousness to a public figure declaring that they like famous transphobe Ricky Gervais' public speaking.

Can't tell if you're being serious.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on April 29, 2021, 05:41:29 PM
Can't tell if you're being serious.

I can't tell why you'd think I wasn't, I'm not very funny at all.

PaulTMA

Lost of otherwise credible people say good things about Gervais.  I've only just learned he's been transphobic, though hardly surprised exactly.  What is the direct connection between St. Vincent, the Gervais speech and her supposedly being transphobic?

Two minds about this whole journalist shitshow.  Annie Clark does indeed sound like a nightmare but it's hardly been a good look for the journalist either, who hardly comes across as trustworthy.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 14, 2021, 02:27:07 PM
it's shit

us girls for mojo readers

Called it.

Was nearly tempted to give it a once through earlier. Thanks for doing it so I didn't have to.

Pauline Walnuts

She was on Later with Ol' Satchel mouth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000w779/later-with-jools-holland-series-58-episode-2

Highlights include her little cringe when he goes to hug the TV screen she's appearing on, her not liking his 'of course you went to music school didn't you?'

The 30 seconds of her song they played sounded like a bloodless Jamiroquai's Feels Just Like It Should.

Neomod

Has anyone got round to watching The Nowhere Inn?

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php

Looks like an extended Portlandia sketch that might end up annoying me even though I like Portlandia/St Vincent.