Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ITV families

Started by hamfist, April 26, 2021, 08:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Jittlebags on April 27, 2021, 04:43:26 PM
For some reason, back in the early 70's, ITV film scheduling times were a bit odd, and you'd quite often get a Bugs Bunny or a Daffy Duck cartoon appearing at the end.

Wasn't that because US TV programmes were designed to have more commercial breaks than ITV was allowed to have so there would be a spare few minutes needing to be filled?

derek stitt

No such thing called ITV in my day, the commercial channel was called Harlech. On certain clear nights we could get ATV and start watching a film half an hour earlier than on our own regional station, made us all feel quite the superior being type that did. The family never actually owned a colour telly until the mid 1980s, still remember a knob on the set for vertical hold (ooh errr).

thenoise

My Mum said that Satellite TV was for families that ate their supper on their laps in front of the TV.

And they probably call supper "tea".

And they probably call TV "telly".

JesusAndYourBush

I remember people telling a joke that was something like "What's that box on the end of a satellite dish? A council house."
And now everyone has that many tv channels.
So excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for wanting a little bit of the future a bit earlier than everyone else!

Echo Valley 2-6809

ITV all the way for us, and you've spelt famblies wrong.

kalowski

I was brought up in an ITV family. Dad still like that. I moved back in with my mum when I was in my mid 20s (I'm still there now at 49) and was freaked out to discover she put ITV breakfast TV on in the morning. It was dreadful.
My children don't really know ITV exists. (They watch their fair share of rubbish, though, via Nickelodeon et al)

Glebe

Quote from: hamfist on April 26, 2021, 08:33:47 PMITV families would have for example
- Fish & Chips every Friday
- A commodore or sinclair computer
- Big plastic toys like Mr Frosty or Bigtrak

I was a Speccy 48k kid and as I said, we were a BBC family! Also born in '75, btw!

How could you be a BBC family and not have a BBC Micro?  Impossible.

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 02, 2021, 03:45:42 PM
How could you be a BBC family and not have a BBC Micro?  Impossible.
BBC Micro was for rich kids, Clive Sinclair was very BBC.

derek stitt

Wonder what type of saucepans a channel 4 family would select out of the Argos catalogue?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: derek stitt on May 02, 2021, 11:46:39 PM
Wonder what type of saucepans a channel 4 family would select out of the Argos catalogue?
Probably a wok.

Glebe