Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,362
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Man to row Atlantic on his own for charity

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 27, 2021, 08:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote...Ian Rivers, from Hereford, said an unsupported solo row between New York and the Scilly Isles had never been achieved and was a "true adventure".

Mr Rivers, who will use a sextant and the stars to navigate, used nature as a guide when he escaped after being kidnapped while working in Syria.

His solo row, covering about 3,500 miles (5,632 km), is for two charities.

"I'm treating it as a true adventure and, as in any true adventure, you never know the outcome until you actually get there and that's pretty much why I am doing it," he said.

Mr Rivers, who was in the military for 27 years, is raising money for the Special Air Service Regimental Association (SASRA) and St Michael's Hospice in Hereford...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-56894909

I wonder how long it will take Mr Rivers to row the Atlantic. I'm surprised he is able to start his trip next month - I know he will be travelling on his own but wouldn't there still be restrictions on travelling to New York? Also, will he row back again or will he be taken back by a larger boat?

Must be difficult knowing how much food and drink you need. Let's hope he doesn't get into any difficulties out there.

Paul Calf

His starting point isn't the only thing about this plan that's 'Scilly', eh readers?

Gulftastic

Buelligan

touchingcloth

Row from Hereford, you prick. Could have called the jaunt "I <3 NWye".

Butchers Blind

Norton Canes

QuoteMr Rivers, who will use a sex toy and the stars to navigate

FTFY

Fambo Number Mive

Really he should be rowing the Atlantic 100 times, given how near this challenge is to April 30th.

Buelligan

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 27, 2021, 08:49:35 AM
Row from Hereford, you prick. Could have called the jaunt "I <3 NWye".

One of my favourite little bollockses of film involves rowing and Hereford.  In the film Ronin, Robert de Niro asks Sean Bean's character what colour the boathouse in HEERford is.  I laughed.

I bet Jordan Peterson did the whiteboard drawing and all.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on April 27, 2021, 10:32:31 AM
One of my favourite little bollockses of film involves rowing and Hereford.  In the film Ronin, Robert de Niro asks Sean Bean's character what colour the boathouse in HEERford is.  I laughed.

"Bit of raspberry jam back there!" is a recurring quote between my mother and I.

I love Sean Bean.

Buelligan

Me too and Ronin.  I've eaten in that café in Arles, before I knew of the film.  I went to see the aphitheatre.  It was OK, the café, the aphitheatre was very beautiful.  Arles is a great place, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M3gV-q9QVw

bgmnts

Yeah Ronin is ace and that's an incredible location. A huge amphitheatre right in the middle of a small town. Makes Caerleon look a bit embarrassing.

Buelligan

touchingcloth

Quote from: Buelligan on April 27, 2021, 10:32:31 AM

Pronunciation aside, it's a bollocks question. Having kayaked from the boathouse in Hereford, it's sixties monstrosity of brick and glass, so in some ways has no real colour at all. "Brown and transparent, Rob?"

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on April 27, 2021, 10:42:11 AM
Me too and Ronin.  I've eaten in that café in Arles, before I knew of the film.  I went to see the aphitheatre.  It was OK, the café, the aphitheatre was very beautiful.  Arles is a great place, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M3gV-q9QVw

Oh, I've been there too. We were sitting outside as a wedding convoy of beeping cars roared around the town.

Dex Sawash

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 27, 2021, 11:53:46 AM
Oar-assisted drift

What we used to call our estrangement from dad when he shacked up with his mistress.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 27, 2021, 11:53:46 AM
Oar-assisted drift

Has he thought this through, if he rows the Atlantic he'll get stuck in those circular arrows and end up just going to New York to UK and back again.