Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Foster No Lager Leader Soon?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 27, 2021, 07:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Are the UUP still a thing? I thought all the non-insane Prods voted Alliance (or SDLP). (And the insane ones who don't go to church vote TUV.)

Fambo Number Mive

dissolute ocelot

Fambo Number Mive

First DUP leadership contest according to the BBC.

Wonderful Butternut

"I want to see Unionism working together. Cos otherwise the Tadgh's will take over."

buttgammon

I'm just going to quote the entire 'views' section from his Wikipedia.

QuotePoots is a young earth creationist and rejects the theory of evolution.[13] In an interview with BBC presenter William Crawley, when asked how old the Earth was, Poots replied: "My view on the earth is that it's a young earth. My view is 4,000 BC". Young earth creationism is accepted by the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster, of which Poots is a member, and other conservative evangelicals in Northern Ireland.[14] In a 2012 Belfast Telegraph article, which discussed lobbying by the creationist bible group the Caleb Foundation, Poots reportedly stated that, while not a member of the group, "Some of my views coincide with the Caleb Foundation".[15]

Poots faced criticism for banning blood donations from gay people,[16] saying: "I think that people who engage in high-risk sexual behaviour in general should be excluded from giving blood".[17] In June 2012, Poots said he wanted to extend the ban to people who have sex "with somebody in Africa or sex with prostitutes", stating that, in his view, this was also high-risk sexual behaviour.[17]

In September 2013, as Health Minister for Northern Ireland, he fought the ruling that would bring laws around LGBT adoption in Northern Ireland into line with other parts of the United Kingdom.[18]

In January 2016, Poots was criticised by gender equality advocates, political commentators and other politicians for saying that the newly elected First Minister, Arlene Foster's, most important job was as a "wife, mother and daughter".[19][20][21][22] Poots defended himself saying his statement was "not sexist" and that he considered his most important job to be that of a "husband, father and son".[23][24]

In October 2020, he was criticised by members of Sinn Féin and the Alliance Party after saying coronavirus was more common in nationalist areas. He stated: "There is a difference between nationalist areas and unionist areas – and the difference is around six to one".[25] The Department of Health issued a statement confirming that "data on Covid infections is not collected according to religious or political affiliation".[25]

What a strange cunt.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: buttgammon on May 14, 2021, 05:55:09 PM
I'm just going to quote the entire 'views' section from his Wikipedia.

What a strange cunt.

Not a jot in there that surprises me. Up there with the Republican Party for being full of people who are trying to drag mankind back into the sea.

Quote from: POOTS on May 14, 2021, 05:55:09 PM
In January 2016, Poots was criticised by gender equality advocates, political commentators and other politicians for saying that the newly elected First Minister, Arlene Foster's, most important job was as a "wife, mother and daughter".[19][20][21][22] Poots defended himself saying his statement was "not sexist" and that he considered his most important job to be that of a "husband, father and son".[23][24]

And will you be resigning from a lucrative career in frontline politics to concentrate on these important roles?

"No."

steve98

He's got the most boring voice ever. My god, it's amazing.

idunnosomename

Quote from: steve98 on May 14, 2021, 06:48:37 PM
He's got the most boring voice ever. My god, it's amazing.
christ you arent exaggerating. makes the priest in the lingerie department sound positively rousing

Bum Flaps

Do young earth creationists call themselves 'correctly aged Earth creationists'?

jobotic

He doesn't look that young to me.

FredNurke

Doesn't look like he's from Earth either.

Wonderful Butternut

The spawn of the Devil himself kicking off cos Newsnight might have pointed out that Poots is a nut:

https://twitter.com/JonTonge/status/1393325734987509763

"U wudn't b mean to a Muslim!"

I give power sharing 3 more months with this loon on the scene. Official Ireland (aka. Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and RTE) will find a way to make it Sinn Fein's fault though.

jobotic

Nice Frank Skinner shout out there.

idunnosomename

these days, if you're British, and you say you're a Christian, and also believe that the Earth was created thousands of years ago and dinosaurs were left off the Ark, and you have an incredibly boring voice, look like a fucking muppet, and are called POOTS, people make fun of you. whats the world coming to

Wonderful Butternut

And it looks like Poots is fucked already. That has to be some sort of record.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0617/1228725-dup-politics/

tl;dr, The DUP agreed to implement the New Decade, New Approach deal to restore power sharing last year, which included an Irish Language Act, which was rather important to Sinn Fein as a condition of restoring power sharing. However the DUP have not allowed the Assembly to implement parts of the agreement, including the Irish Language Act, and have engaged in the usual Unionist, British Conservative and Tan approach of not actually implementing the specifics of a larger deal they agreed to, presumably in the hope that everyone else would be too stupid to notice. Kinda like what the Tories did with Brexit.

Having received no assurance about the Irish Language Act from Poots, the Shinners got sick of it, and told the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland that they wouldn't go back into power sharing unless they got a guarantee that Westminister would implement an Irish Language Act for them if it wasn't done in the lifetime of the current Assembly. Which they received. Poots pissed and moaned a bit but ultimately agreed to go into power sharing anyway.

But in DUPland, this was the wrong answer from Poots and loads of them voted against the election of the First and Deputy First Minister and are preparing to heave against his leadership. Obviously the plan was that the DUP would be allowed continue lying about implementing what they agreed to implement, and the Tadghs would just have to take it up the backside as usual.

What an absolute shower of lying, slimy, bible thumping, racist, homophobic Orange Bastards. The Provos should just re-arm and shoot them all. There. I said it.

Ferris

This thread title sounds like a cryptic crossword clue.

Egyptian Feast

Thanks for the summary, Wonderful Butternut. I'd heard about Poots being no-confidenced but didn't look into it any further because I wasn't in the mood to read about this bunch of cunts.

An tSaoi

Twitter is saying Poots has stepped down.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on June 17, 2021, 07:06:43 PM
And it looks like Poots is fucked already. That has to be some sort of record.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0617/1228725-dup-politics/

tl;dr, The DUP agreed to implement the New Decade, New Approach deal to restore power sharing last year, which included an Irish Language Act, which was rather important to Sinn Fein as a condition of restoring power sharing. However the DUP have not allowed the Assembly to implement parts of the agreement, including the Irish Language Act, and have engaged in the usual Unionist, British Conservative and Tan approach of not actually implementing the specifics of a larger deal they agreed to, presumably in the hope that everyone else would be too stupid to notice. Kinda like what the Tories did with Brexit.

Having received no assurance about the Irish Language Act from Poots, the Shinners got sick of it, and told the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland that they wouldn't go back into power sharing unless they got a guarantee that Westminister would implement an Irish Language Act for them if it wasn't done in the lifetime of the current Assembly. Which they received. Poots pissed and moaned a bit but ultimately agreed to go into power sharing anyway.

But in DUPland, this was the wrong answer from Poots and loads of them voted against the election of the First and Deputy First Minister and are preparing to heave against his leadership. Obviously the plan was that the DUP would be allowed continue lying about implementing what they agreed to implement, and the Tadghs would just have to take it up the backside as usual.

What an absolute shower of lying, slimy, bible thumping, racist, homophobic Orange Bastards. The Provos should just re-arm and shoot them all. There. I said it.
Oh Christ. The DUP make the Tories look like human beings.

An tSaoi

Anything even halfway humane won't fly with hardline DUP voters. The only thing they want from their leader is the most vicious bigotry imaginable. If you said you were going to deport all taigs to the South you'd be seen as soft. Nothing less than public lynchings would satisfy some of them.

Captain Z

Hearing rumours that Spurs have made contact with Poots...

George Oscar Bluth II

I was saying "boooooo", not "Pooooooots".

An tSaoi