Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:30:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can I ask you folk for some advice about the wiring of my flat

Started by willbo, April 27, 2021, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

basically I live in a Guinness Housing Trust 2nd floor 1 bedroom flat.

I'm also entitled to the flat and some housing benefit because I'm a diagnosed autistic spectrum condition (Asperger diagnosis).

A few years ago I had a couple of hamsters, which died of old age a year ago.
I thought small pets were ok...in fact, I assumed pets were allowed in general because my neighbours had dogs and cats, although I couldn't find my rulebook to check at the time.

I have a small closet-sized room in the corner, it has a little window but it's too small to sit or sleep inside, just a storage room really. It has exposed wiring going round the bottom edge - the wiring for the light comes out of the wall in one bottom corner and goes back in in the other corner.

Over a year ago or so I was letting my hamsters run round and they chewed the wire briefly. I don't have a light bulb in that room and the light is never on (it's only 3 feet wide so I never go in it, just dump bags etc in there).

They chewed some of the black coating off the wire in the corner before I stopped them. I just left it and forgot about it, as I said I never go in there or use the light.

I am having an electrical safety inspection in a few weeks from Guinness (or electricians they have hired).

I have been thinking for a while I wanted to sort the wiring out as it wouldn't be safe if anyone went in there, but I was worried about how complicated it would be.

I've also just checked the Guinness Housing rules on pets and it says you have to get permission to have pets, even small pets. I didn't realise this and thought hamsters would be ok.

I'm worried I'm gonna get into trouble with them if i come clean and tell them what happened and I'm thinking of just paying an outside electrician to sort it out before they come? But i have no idea how complicated and expensive this would be.

Goldentony

cut the casing off the wire from the point of the chewing, expose the wires and then rewire it from there, if they ask what happened say you assume rats and then try and Ace Ventura the hamsters off on the day of the inspection. Easier said than done with the plug, but thats coming from me an idiot who'd want to ring someone to do it for me.

TrenterPercenter

Hi Wilbo; I don't think you would get in trouble.  I can't say for sure but I imagine the electrician will just want to check everything is safe and patch up any problems.  Who is to say a rat got in there or you looked after someone else pets for a short time.

Regardless I don't think you need to be worried about this; it is not a major crime to have had pets and if you do want to tell them about this just say you didn't know you couldn't have any pets and thought it was only cats and dogs that were not allowed.

EDIT: it is their responsibility to maintain the flat so I would be inclined to flag it to them and not mention any hamsters.

willbo

Quote from: Goldentony on April 27, 2021, 07:15:35 PM
cut the casing off the wire from the point of the chewing, expose the wires and then rewire it from there, if they ask what happened say you assume rats and then try and Ace Ventura the hamsters off on the day of the inspection. Easier said than done with the plug, but thats coming from me an idiot who'd want to ring someone to do it for me.

I wouldn't do it myself. I have hand twitches and I'm not practical at all. I just want to talk to someone about it really as I'm feeling a bit anxious. I probably would have sorted out myself a year ago if not for Covid etc. Guinness do repairs for free but i don't want to get into trouble with them.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: willbo on April 27, 2021, 07:18:49 PM
I wouldn't do it myself. I have hand twitches and I'm not practical at all. I just want to talk to someone about it really as I'm feeling a bit anxious. I probably would have sorted out myself a year ago if not for Covid etc. Guinness do repairs for free but i don't want to get into trouble with them.

yeah don't do it yourself; its a simple but potentially dangerous job; leave it to Guinness - is there someone you know family friend etc... that could email them on your behalf and let them know of the problem for you - that way you don't have to worry about it then.

willbo

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 27, 2021, 07:16:21 PM
Hi Wilbo; I don't think you would get in trouble.  I can't say for sure but I imagine the electrician will just want to check everything is safe and patch up any problems.  Who is to say a rat got in there or you looked after someone else pets for a short time.

Regardless I don't think you need to be worried about this; it is not a major crime to have had pets and if you do want to tell them about this just say you didn't know you couldn't have any pets and thought it was only cats and dogs that were not allowed.

EDIT: it is their responsibility to maintain the flat so I would be inclined to flag it to them and not mention any hamsters.

thanks. I'm just scared because the rules online say "we can end your tenancy if you break the rules on pets". It's mainly about dangerous dogs but..I'm just freaked out to be honest

I could probably spare a couple of hundred pounds to get it done privately (and I'd love to just get it done without Guinness knowing) but I don't know how easy that would be

"Who is to say ... you looked after someone else pets for a short time"

thanks..but that's another issue - you're supposed to "ask for permission" to even have an animal temporarily in the flat. I actually have looked after a relative's cat a few times too without knowing this.

Goldentony

I can't imagine they'd launch you out over a cable nobody uses thats just had the rubber chewed off. Set em back a few pence and minutes that. re Hamsters, most people wont be arsed about something thats in a cage and pen most of the time and doesnt bark or shit or stink or cause madness, probably for dogs and cats that.

and yeah dont do it yourself obviously, sorry, but aye leave it to Guinness maybe

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: willbo on April 27, 2021, 07:22:58 PM
thanks. I'm just scared because the rules online say "we can end your tenancy if you break the rules on pets". It's mainly about dangerous dogs but..I'm just freaked out to be honest

I think you are right Wilbo it is more about dogs etc... it would be incredibly unreasonable of them to end your tenancy for keeping some hamsters once.  As I understand it they just want to check your electrics are safe and working; they will likely just want to fix any problem not interrogate you on how something got broken.

Endicott

If you feel able to lie about it, just say you have no idea how it got like that. Don't make anything up, just say you have no clue. The electrician may not even notice but if you want something done about it, point it out and say you'd like it fixed, please, as you're not happy about it safety wise, and say you have no idea how it got like that. It's a minor problem to them and they will just sort it out for you (or they will ignore it - either way no trouble for you). Don't waste your own money on it.

Buelligan

Yep, really don't be anxious about this. 

They're checking the wiring purely to make sure people are safe in their homes, it's not to try and catch people out. 

They will check the wiring, if there's anything wrong, they'll fix it. 

It won't cost you anything, like you said, they fix this stuff free for you. 

So relax.  Don't think about those hamsters any more, not one soul in all the world cares about what they may or may not have done, except you.  All will be well. 

bgmnts

I had no idea you could get housing benefits if you have Aspergers.

I really should be getting that help. Need to look into it.

I think the wiring situation will be fine though!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on April 27, 2021, 07:32:30 PM
Yep, really don't be anxious about this. 

They're checking the wiring purely to make sure people are safe in their homes, it's not to try and catch people out. 

They will check the wiring, if there's anything wrong, they'll fix it. 

It won't cost you anything, like you said, they fix this stuff free for you. 

So relax.  Don't think about those hamsters any more, not one soul in all the world cares about what they may or may not have done, except you.  All will be well.

Listen to Buelligan Wilbo

Goldentony

Quote from: bgmnts on April 27, 2021, 07:32:48 PM
I had no idea you could get housing benefits if you have Aspergers.

I really should be getting that help. Need to look into it.

I think the wiring situation will be fine though!

found the culprit, bgmnts is trying to move in and clearly chewed this wires themselves in secret

gib

Quote from: Endicott on April 27, 2021, 07:29:38 PM
If you feel able to lie about it, just say you have no idea how it got like that. Don't make anything up, just say you have no clue. The electrician may not even notice but if you want something done about it, point it out and say you'd like it fixed, please, as you're not happy about it safety wise, and say you have no idea how it got like that. It's a minor problem to them and they will just sort it out for you (or they will ignore it - either way no trouble for you). Don't waste your own money on it.

Yes, this. Deny all knowledge and they will assume a mouse or something got in and did it.

Dex Sawash

buzby

They flat shouldn't have any exposed mains wiring anyway. The IEE regs say it  has to be enclosed in either a plastic or metal conduit if any wiring has to be run on the surface of a wall. If it's going from one wall to the other it should either have been run up inside the stud wall, above the ceiling and down the other or under the floorboards.

touchingcloth

shiftwork2

Agree with just letting them get on with it and being mystified if they find something.  They'll think it's more likely to have been caused by mice.  You could even suggest you get a cat to solve the problem.

Captain Z

1. "Oh, I hadn't noticed that. I guess it must have been mice."

2. "It was like that when I moved in."

3. "Next door have a dog that eats toddler shit."

touchingcloth

Feign ignorance, and when they point it out sue them for health and safety. I think you do that by shouting "Sir! I do not respect your jurisdiction, sir!" This flat sails under Magna Carta Maritime Law, sir! I sue for peace, sir! Ahoy and avast, sir! Abaft the beam, sir! Fo'c's'ake!" and then you slap him in the face with a glove and push him overboard.

Buelligan

Heheh, the best lies are always the simplest.  Keep it simple - oh, hadn't noticed.  If you're compelled to say more, ask if it was dangerous.  Don't supply excuses, that implies guilt.  Asking whether it was dangerous reminds them politely that the responsibility rests with them.  Only guilty people make excuses.  Innocent people naturally think about how the thing might impact themselves or others.

But there is no guilt or innocence in this case, so none of that matters.  All will be well, all things shall be well.

touchingcloth

I am prepared to donate £5 to a charity of the OP's choice if the inspectors even noticed the nibbled wires.

JesusAndYourBush

Say a rat got in and you had to *borrow a trap in order to catch it.

*As opposed to bought one, in case they asked to see it.  Not that they would, but it covers all bases.

Goldentony

"howat some cunts chewed wor wires, what fucking bastards done that, shite away hey fuck me sorry lads, I know you do a grand job, fuck us tonight lads look at that fuckin big fuck off hairy cunt rat of a fuckin bastards chewed into it, fuck about"

Buelligan

Moving on from this to electricity in the mouth as a general thing.  I had a dear cat that loved the chew the power lead for my laptop (when it was plugged in).  No matter what I did, that lovely fluff ball would be there, diligently nibbling.  He got through several.  But why I ask myself, why would he do that?  Apart from the fucking nuisance, surely live wires in the mouth are not pleasant? Why do these furry little guys do this?  Anyone?