Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fur TV

Started by Jemble Fred, February 28, 2004, 11:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

This has just finished, and I have to say it's the most impressed I've been by a totally unfamiliar comedy production in years. Have I missed something, or was everyone else aware of this show? I'm not going to shower it with hyperbole, but I thought it was surprisingly well written, brilliantly performed and well designed. I started off worried that it may be a bit of a Barley production, but the Cyrano De Bergerac bit in particular made me laugh like an amused bitch. Do hope there's more... consisting of entirely new material, naturally.

Some Irish crap with the painfully unfunny voices I recognise from the Hole In The Wall Gang shows on now. Time for bed.

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"I'm not going to shower it with hyperbole, but I thought it was surprisingly well written, brilliantly performed and well designed.

Well it made me laugh, though I was heavily under the influence of Olbas Oil at the time.

I agree it was well written, particularly the scenes with the writer and his boyfriend - I loved the 'sodomised by algerians' progression. But it was by no means comedy genius, and I don't know if it'll stand up to repeat viewing.

I'm also a bit concerned about it relying on the one joke of puppets having relationships with humans. Thinking about it, has there been a show about puppet/human sex before? It's just that this stuff seems familiar somehow. Perhaps it just happened in my mind, as puppets have always had a strange sexual ambiguity to me, ever since I fancied Miss Piggy a bit as a child I suppose.

I'm also biased because I just enjoy watching programmes about men who are as sexually unsuccessful as me, even if they are made of felt. Plus it featured some very attractive ladies.

I've also got no idea who the writers are; apparently they're the winners of some BBC award given to new 'talent', which was given to cyderdelic last year. Can anyone shed any light?

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

'Twas quite amusing. Not as good as C4's 'Pets,' which you would have seen if, like me, you were an insomiac about three years ago and stumbled across 'The Young Ones' meets 'Meet the Feebles.'

hang on, hang on, hang on... I never saw this but it sounds very similar to that american series with that silverman chick in it.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"
I'm also biased because I just enjoy watching programmes about men who are as sexually unsuccessful as me, even if they are made of felt.

You enjoyed it too, eh? I couldn't help but sympathise with that orange puppet.

I thought it was tremendous fun.

Purple Tentacle

Wow, I recorded this by accident when I recorded Grass, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

"You pissed in my juice again?"

Yeah, s'alright.

How's THAT for Comedy Chat?

Dr David V

Going against the current trend, I'd like to say that I thought this was one of the worst programmes I've ever seen. I never switch off half-way though a show normally, but this one got me to bed in about 5 minutes. Appalling.

Robot DeNiro

Yup, I also thought it was terrible.  The script was schoolboy smut and the puppets looked far too much like Muppets.

It started with a puppet having a wank, and went downhill from there.  Even the continuity announcer seemed a bit embarrassed by it.

Darrell

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro"the puppets looked far too much like Muppets.

They bloody did, didn't they?

Even down to the rods on the arms.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Does everything "towtully unyousual!!">!?!£"" have to end in 'TV'.

Just called it 'Fur'. Adding 'TV' just makes the program come across as pandering to thickie demographic.

Fur fuck's sake.

Morrisfan82

I didn't even know this was on, but caught it after Grass.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. My expectations may have been lowered slightly by the fact I saw that god-awful "hi-concept + lo-comedy = funny anyway, honest" thing Puppets Takeover Telly (or whatever the hell it was called) the other day.

This was OK though, an interesting little tale, some funny monologues, and it wasn't too reliant on the novelty factor of the presence of puppets for laughs (the fucking scenes being an obvious exception of course).

Plus it was visually presented quite carefully, I thought.

Was this just a pilot then?

But what the FUCK was Give My Head Peace all about? Is the joke meant to be how deliberately fucking awful it is or something? THAT made me switch off...